Sponsored by:

Oil Change but no oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Change but no oil pressure

Guys before I fire up and the sake of destorying my enigine I want to just make sure this seems normal..

I have just replaced the clutch and also replaced the oil return line.

Refilled with the same oil and now when I have been cranking for about 30 seconds total (without spark & fuel) the oil pressure is just at 1 bar and the oil level indicator is showing half full.

the tank level just seems odd as you dont get a reading until its warm unless the tank is overfilled which it cant because the same oil has been used.

Do I need to crank some more or is my pump not working or am I just being stupid!

Old 06-04-2006, 12:36 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

At idle, the oil pressure is about 1 Bar, and rises with increasing RPM. So when just cranking the engine at a few hundred RPM, the pressure seems adequate.

????Why would you reuse the same oil???
Old 06-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

thanks for that. I reused becasue I just covered 500miles on the it.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:47 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Miles965uk
the tank level just seems odd as you dont get a reading until its warm unless the tank is overfilled which it cant because the same oil has been used.
All the oil that you drained is normally spread out among the engine, pipes, etc. and now its all in the tank. Normally you would put 6 quarts of oil in, start the engine and then fill with the remaining 3-4 quarts so that the tank breather hose is not syphoning oil into the intake manifold.

I have just replaced the clutch and also replaced the oil return line.
This may sound like a stupid question but did you remove the plastic endcaps from the oil return pipe? I know its impossible to install OE lines with the caps still inplace but I don't know about other manufacturers oil lines.

Do I need to crank some more or is my pump not working or am I just being stupid!
I would just start the engine, the starter on its own won't generate enough RPMs to make the pump generate a whole lot more pressure?
Old 06-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info - thats helpfull...

Yes the return pipe didnt have any caps on the end... I thought maybe something got stuck.

All seems to be ok, I havent started the car in 6 months so thats why I was a bit foggy on weather I should see pressure or not.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:50 AM
rodders
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how does the oil breather tube syphen oil into the manifold and how long would this go on for - i.e. every time you start the engine or just the one time
I had a full rebuild - after a 6 month oil change - from full to semi synthetic oil - I am now getting big puffs on start up - not every time.
The car is driven every day and is running very well.
no smoke after the first puff - maybe a second or two
Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Oil Change but no oil pressure