Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Green wire syndrome has struck?? How to remove the radio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 10:22 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Green wire syndrome has struck?? How to remove the radio?

I fear that the green wire syndrome (that Adrian clearly identified in his book and others have ID'd in the many threads) has struck my C4.
I discovered that my battery was totally dead, after the car sat for 2 days. (I put in a new battery ~2 months ago after purchasing the car - the battery was 7 years old). No problems with the battery until this time.
(Strangely enough, coincidently?, the night that I locked up the car, I noticed that the back-lights on the radio were still on after the car was off. Strange, I hadn't noticed that before, but maybe that is part of the magic battery drain that the 964's are famous for.)
I hooked up a charger to the battery, and a bit later after charging, I got into the car and soon the alarm started. (tracing back, I think I opened up the glovebox, and that's when it triggered ??). Anyway, I could not stop the alarm by any means, so I had to unhook the ground cable from the battery. Every time I hooked up the ground, the alarm would start again. After reading Adrian's section, and all the threads, I started looking for the "green wire". Moved some wires around behind the radio (I have the stock unit with CD controller), but couldn't see much. Bottom line, after closing everything up, including the glove box, hooking up the battery, the alarm started but it reset after a few locks/unlocks.
AND, today I noticed that the constant-volume engine speed changing, buzz in the radio is now gone. And, the radio back-lights are off.
SO, after my long story, my question - How do I remove the radio so that I can properly inspect the wiring?

Many thanks to everyone -
I've put over 1200 miles on my "new" C4. It's an amazing car, and I'm still learning. My Prelude feels like a Buick. I am going to the Intro to DE at Putnam Park in IN in June - should be fun.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:23 PM
anewbill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DWS,
I removed my radio to trace some alarm issues a while back. In my case, it turned out that my alarm brain was fried and I needed a replacement.

Anyway, to remove the radio you will need some standard radio removal tools that look like two U shaped wires with small, hook shaped, indentions on the ends. They are available at any automotive audio shop. (In my case, a shop let me borrow thier tools and remove my own radio in thier parking lot) In order to release the radio from the bracket that holds it under the dash, you will need to insert the U shaped tools into the holes at each corner of your radio. (the holes are covered by 2 small plastic end caps that pop right off with a little pressure from a small screwdriver) Once the tools are fully seated, you will feel a snap when the hooks engage. You can then pull the radio out using the tools and some pushing from behind the dash. Be patient, it may take some effort.

Hope that helps. BTW, I diagnosed the problem with my alarm brain by borrowing a spare brain from anouther 964. All of my issues when away with the borrowed unit, so I bought a used one off ebay.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2006, 07:19 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 474 Posts

Here's a pic of the wire:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/253928-radio-green-wire-questions.html
Old 05-31-2006, 07:20 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 474 Posts

It depends on what type of radio you have... the U-shaped tool mentioned above isn't what I needed for any of the 4 964's I've had... just a little screwdriver to poke up the locking tab...

In this thread I posted a picture of the radio, at least the stock version, showing how to remove it:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/252649-radio-removal-1990-c4.html
Old 06-02-2006, 11:32 AM
grankin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garrett376
It depends on what type of radio you have... the U-shaped tool mentioned above isn't what I needed for any of the 4 964's I've had... just a little screwdriver to poke up the locking tab...

In this thread I posted a picture of the radio, at least the stock version, showing how to remove it:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252649
The tread cited covers it with precision, and was a great help. The only thing missing (and hidden elsewhere in still another thread) is getting to that point. The radio (if like mine) has a wee little rim around it. It pries off if you are verrry careful. A small screwdriver to get the locking pins (described and photographed in the thread cited) to line up is a necessity, as it a needle-nosed plier to grip the radio's bracket to pull it free.

If one has to get further inside (to get at the lighter's connection, for example), there's another obstacle: it seems that the CR-1 radio slips into a metal sleeve, which sleeve seems to move a bit, but won't come out. Well, it will come out if you look v. carefully and see that there are a bazillion little metal finger-like things that impede its removal, and you have to pry each and every one away from where it grips the radio's aperture. As soon as you think you've got them all ... you discover that you don't. When you finally do, you can slide it free as well.

Quick Reply: Green wire syndrome has struck?? How to remove the radio?