Sponsored by:

LOUD, fast clicking noise upon start-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOUD, fast clicking noise upon start-up

About an hour ago I started my car for the first time in about a week and I got the crap scared out of me...

I get in, turn the key, the car starts right up...

As soon as the motor starts running, this disgustingly loud knocking/clicking started happening at about idle speed and I swear I thought my motor was about to blow up... For those of you familiar with the sound, the was knocking like a V-twin motor from a Ducati or an Aprilia does at idle... ???

After the first 5 seconds of idling the knocking/clicking went away and the motor ran perfectly throughout my drive. (That I just got back from, btw)

An educated guess tells me it's something with the lubrication. I honestly don't know what it is, but it sounded bad so I thought I'd come here to check.

This was the longest I have ever gone without starting my car (about a week) since I've owned it, and I'm thinking that had something to do with it...

What was it? Should I be worried?

Thnx,
H

Last edited by Euromagination; 05-30-2006 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 05-30-2006, 05:44 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

chain noise? sound like a chain being dragged across an open metal can? Someone else described it like that and its perfect. Mine does it when its been sitting for a while but goes away very quickly. Apparently, from another thread, there may be a seal that is going bad letting the oil leak out of the chain tensioner(s).
Old 05-30-2006, 05:46 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

That must have been a looong five seconds. I think I would have shut it off after two!
Old 05-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Heirsh
chain noise? sound like a chain being dragged across an open metal can? Someone else described it like that and its perfect. Mine does it when its been sitting for a while but goes away very quickly. Apparently, from another thread, there may be a seal that is going bad letting the oil leak out of the chain tensioner(s).
it sounded more like a small machine gun actually... and it had the same kind of rhythm that you hear when a kid puts a baseball card on his bike so it hits the spokes with each pass...

It was a loud internal noise that was going at the same pace as idle... It basically sounded like whatever normally gets lubricated, didn't.

Then it suddenly disappeared 4-5 seconds after start-up...

Whatever it was couldn't have been good. I just don't want it to get worse and/or cause other damage.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

I'd still bet on the cam chains based on your description. Terrified me the first time I heard it, even though the first thing that entered my mind with my noise was chains.

Quick Reply: LOUD, fast clicking noise upon start-up