Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake pad vibration damper sizes...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pad vibration damper sizes...

I'm having terrible brake squeal...Squealing worse and louder than a city transit bus...

After cleaning the calipers, using four (yes, i've torn the brakes apart that often lately) different kinds of anti-squeal, and virtually everything else, I have finally decided to give the vibration dampers a try. *sigh*

I undestand that I need 36mm and 40 mm dampers for my front calipers on the 964 but what about in the rear since I have single-piston calipers back there? I see a chart listing 30mm and 28mm for the rear calipers, but I think that's for the dual-piston ones that are on the MY '91+ 964's

Also, does each side of the calipers get dampers for a total of 12 dampers front and back? 4+4 in front, and 2+2 in rear?

I'm about to give up on the squealing and get a new car, I swear. It's getting that ridiculous... It's been two months now of nothing but brake squeal problems. I don't even want to drive the car anymore.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

I had the same problem. Bought 4 piston rears for the car so i can change the pads. I did it all. New rotors, pads, everything anti-squeel I could find... Nothing cured it. Completely and totally embarrassing. If the car were decked out with racing stripes and such that would be one thing, but its just a regular old porsche and it should not sound like a bus!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/MotorCity/wmv/brakes.htm

has them listed as 44mm rears. So yeah you'd need 4 to do both of your rears and 8 to do both of your fronts. I think my rear squeel was coming from my calipers needing to be rebuilt. One side was sticking on each of my calipers and causing increased wear on one pad in each caliper.

Now if I have any squeel I'm just going to drop a whole set of metalmasters in it and see what happens.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Heirsh
I had the same problem. Bought 4 piston rears for the car so i can change the pads. I did it all. New rotors, pads, everything anti-squeel I could find... Nothing cured it. Completely and totally embarrassing. If the car were decked out with racing stripes and such that would be one thing, but its just a regular old porsche and it should not sound like a bus!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/MotorCity/wmv/brakes.htm

has them listed as 44mm rears. So yeah you'd need 4 to do both of your rears and 8 to do both of your fronts. I think my rear squeel was coming from my calipers needing to be rebuilt. One side was sticking on each of my calipers and causing increased wear on one pad in each caliper.

Now if I have any squeel I'm just going to drop a whole set of metalmasters in it and see what happens.
Did you end up having to get your calipers rebuilt for it to stop or did that no even work?

I was thinking of the caliper rebuild, but none of mine seem to be sticking and my inside-outside pad wear on all four brakes were fine when I replaced the whole set a couple months ago...

One of the main reasons why I think dampers may solve my particular problem is because I can hear the pads sliding then hitting again when they change direction--- as in... going forward in the car and hitting the brakes, then going in reverse and hitting the brakes... upon hitting the brakes to stop reverse movement, all four calipers give one hard click (or tap, whatever). Then if I go back forward and hit them again, they'll click again... with each direction change.

Of course, I'm no expert so this is all just educated guessing...

Thnx.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

hmm strange. I did not want to sink any money in my 2-pots, so no, I did not rebuild them.

I have 7 mushrooms from the fronts I doubt I will use if its helpful. I never had any for the backs.

Could your plates that the pads rest in be worn out allowing them to move around too much? The mushrom hat things are glued ontot he back of the pads. No way that would keep the pad in place under braking (well I havent tested it, but I just doubt it. Could be wrong of course).

Quick Reply: brake pad vibration damper sizes...