Sponsored by:

I really tried guys... rear light condensation

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 04:25 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I really tried guys... rear light condensation

My left turn signal goes out frequently due to excessive condensation in the tail light. Any ideas or fixes for this condition?
Old 05-29-2006, 05:40 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hawk, If your lamp keeps blowing out, it probably has to do with the socket or wires crossing when you go over a bump. Light bulbs are vacuum sealed and work in a wet environment, ex. outdoor xmas lights. If you run your Porsche with your headlights on all the time, then your tail lights should also be on and will help evaporate any condensation. I ssume you have the vent tube in the tail light fixture that keeps the condensation down as well. Check the connection to the socket and then spray the inside of the socket with any auto spray used to dry out distributor wires in case you are getting condensation in the socket.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting, as the left tail light is the one closest to the vent hose connection.
I'm guessing there's an issue with the vent hose connection(s)......either that or you have a crack or you're missing a gasket or two.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:13 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I've noticed lately that my left rear has much more condensation than the right. Odd.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:14 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a crack in the plastic; so much that I had a fish tank full of water in the lense. I took it off the car, and dumped out the excess, dried the connections, and squirted WD-40 on the connections. Blinker was intermittent, and seems to fail when the bulb holder is back in place and the lense in the bumper. Off the car, and bulb exposed it works great. Might pop for new wires, or used light if I can find one. Right side is rough also; anyone got a pair for sale?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:31 AM
CHASE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hawk, just an idea but back when the plastic sealed headlamp buckets came out in most cars there was some problems like this. I worked at a Ford dealer and we would drill a small (1/8th inch) hole in a lower bottom corner for the water to drain out - seemed to correct the problem and saved Ford Motor Co. a boat load of money for replacement buckets when the car was under warranty.

Quick Reply: I really tried guys... rear light condensation