Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 04:20 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tyre choices.................help required

Ok, Tyres again.

My choices are

Bridgestone S02A, I like them, but the rears 265/35/18 are on Long term back order as Bridgestone only make them ocasionally, I've confirmed this a few places now, could be a month or more before I get them.
P Zero's, No experience here at all, anyone recommned them, any track day junkies use them? Ian????
Michelin Pilot sports......Only experience of these is the old ZX last forever tyres,....so I'm clueless again.....

I'm not really interested in anything with a sidewall protector, I need something rather quickly, and don't mind the harsh S02 sidewall, Conti's are out because they are more of a comfort tyre, simply not interested in this type of tyre..

In summary, could you tell me what you have, and could you recommend it.....

Kevin
Old 05-24-2006, 04:25 AM
Devils_son
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warmfuzzies
Ok, Tyres again.
I have the S-02A and I am happy with them. But I might switch to the newer RE050A Pole Position next time.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:44 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must you have N rated? I have the Yokohama Advan Neovas on my 964 C2 Cab and they are awesome tires. The Advan Sport is OEM for the C4 997. I intend to try those on my 997 CS once the Michelin PS2 wear or I get another flat. The Advan 048 MH compound track tire is grippy. I've bought them for my euro delivery car next month(to be installed in Munich) so I can hit the Ring with a serious track tire (hope it doesn't rain!). I drove my buddie's 993 TT with the Advan 048 MH and very predictable and tons of grip. I totally recommend it if you don't care about ride quality but want maximum performance. Best thing is they are cheaper than the Michelin. However never tried the PS2 SC though. Also it depends on what kind of track you will be hitting. I was a fan of hoosiers for faster bigger corner speed tracks (Laguna Seca) and Yok 008RII for tighter tracks (like Streets of WS). And also tire pressure for track will be super important.

Last edited by Eggplant Cab; 05-24-2006 at 05:09 AM.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:52 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kevin,

I have P zero on mmy car and Im happy with them. thery are a little noisy but seem grip very well. they dont last long 8k miles and thats not ballistic driving either

However I have not had any other tyres on this car so I have nothing to compare them to nor have I done any track days.

The point of my post is if you cant get the bridgstone(so2's were my favourite tyre on previous cars) I dont think you would be too dissapointed with the pirreli I dont think the sidewalls are as hard as the bridgestone but probably not far off
Old 05-24-2006, 05:06 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Kevin - don't rule out the Conti (especially N rated) - I've been running these for 50,000 miles and I think they are fantastic - where on earth did you get the "comfort tyre" idea from!

I'm running Michelin Pilot Sports at the moment (because Michelin gave me a good deal) and they are very good too. in N rated spec, they are a completely different tyre to the non N rated - even different tread pattern.

I would certainly recommend either of the above. FWIW, I felt quicker at Castle Combe recently, but this could also be the new dampers / alignment.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:12 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Comfort tyre was from my local tyre fitter, good guy, has dealt with porkers for a long while, and currently runs a 996. He's had Porkers for a while now.
It's all to do with stiff sidewalls I was informed, with the S02 and Michelin being slightly stiffer....

The problem I have with the Michelins is at almost 200ea a pop for the rears......the Bridestones are "only" 160ea at the rear....

Kevin
Old 05-24-2006, 05:31 AM
Christer
Race Car

I would try www.mytyres.co.uk - they have SO2's (not the inferior IMHO SO2A's)........

Trending Topics

Old 05-24-2006, 05:42 AM
Devils_son
Instructor

Originally Posted by Christer
I would try www.mytyres.co.uk - they have SO2's (not the inferior IMHO SO2A's)........
Inferior?

Apart from that, if I'm not mistaken TS has the S-02A on the front. I wouldn't recommend getting a different tire for the rear.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:52 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Christer, they are not in stock, I called them and they said up to a month..........that's the reason for my posting about the S02, they are really good at getting stock, and if they can't and my local guy can't then there really could be a problem getting them.

Kevin
Old 05-24-2006, 06:07 AM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin,

Try blackcircles.com. I got a really good deal with michelin a few weeks ago.

I narrowed down to conti's or michelin N rated, but finally decided on the michelin.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:29 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Tried them Bins, Michelins are ...........£690 fitted...... thats too much......the Bridgestones were going to be £570..............

Kevin
Old 05-24-2006, 06:58 AM
AVoyvoda
Racer

Was told by Performance Wheels UK couple of months ago that the SO2As are "not being made any more" which may explain the difficulties you have in finding them. What happens if you ever need to replace just one? Fitted Continentals instead and very pleased. No problems at all.
The big advantage of the Contis is that the tire "projects out" from the rim by a much greater extent than the Bridgestones. This helps protect rims from curb rash.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:26 AM
Christer
Race Car

Originally Posted by Devils_son
Inferior?

Apart from that, if I'm not mistaken TS has the S-02A on the front. I wouldn't recommend getting a different tire for the rear.
Who is TS? And I wasn't suggesting getting different tyres - just that I would rather have the SO2's not the A's......a personal opinion and Kevin understands that.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:28 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warmfuzzies
Comfort tyre was from my local tyre fitter, good guy, has dealt with porkers for a long while, and currently runs a 996. He's had Porkers for a while now.
It's all to do with stiff sidewalls I was informed, with the S02 and Michelin being slightly stiffer....

The problem I have with the Michelins is at almost 200ea a pop for the rears......the Bridestones are "only" 160ea at the rear....

Kevin
I wouldn't have said the Contis were less stiff - about the same as Michelins IMHO.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:37 AM
108.5dba-static
Instructor

Conti's are my weapon of choice - try Michealdever Tyres - they also have laser alignment if required.

They did a great deal for me a couple of months ago when I replaced the rears (£220 fitted)

Quick Reply: Tyre choices.................help required