964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door adjustment

Both doors on my '91 C4 Targa seem to fit fine once they're closed, but a casual toss doesn't always close them completely, it only just 'clicks' them. They seem to like an authoritative close, not a fingertip push like a Japanese car. I assume this is normal for it's age? It's pretty consistent with every 2-door car I've ever had when it's past a certain number of years. Q: To improve this requires an adjustment of the latch or striker, or shimming the hinges - or both?
Old 05-16-2006, 03:06 PM
C H
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to firmly close my drivers door, the passanger requires a little less effort.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may not be the same problem but I also had a problem with my driver's door being a little difficult to shut. The problem on my car stemmed from the fact that the hinge pins were worn quite badly allowing the door to drop a little. This meant that the window frame would catch on the B pillar and hinder the door shutting easily. Whilst the car is having a respray at the moment I'm getting the body shop to replace the hinge pins and bushes on both hinges on the driver's door. That should eliminate the drop and, hopefully, solve the problem.

You can check if the door has dropped by opening the door and lifting it by the door handle. If it lifts at all the hinge pins are worn. The passenger door rarely suffers the same fate since it tends to get used much less.

Regards

Dave
Old 05-16-2006, 06:26 PM
seaeagle
Advanced

I have a similar issue with my 90 c4 targa, worse on the passenger door though.

Look forward to any solution you might find. I will check the hinges though.

Sea Eagle
Old 05-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Chad T
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My doors only seem hard to close when the windows are all up. If a window or the sunroof is open the doors close fairly easily. If all the windows are shut you really have to slam it. Takes some getting used to as my last car was an Acura and you could just give the door a gentle shove and it would almost close itself. Probably has something to do with being a 40 year old design.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:22 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

When the windows/sunroof are closed air can't escape and more effort is required to close the doors in order to compress the trapped air.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Yup what Darth said. In fact there is a little flap that opens and lets the air out when you do this. you can hear it go ping ping. Drove me nuts the first 2-3 times I heard it. Thought something was loose somewhere.

Its very air tight. Call it good or bad, its the nature of the beast.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:00 AM
Hambisa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

These doors definitely require more effort to close than any other cars I've owned. I hate slamming doors on a car, so half the time I have to do it twice on the 964 because I forgot to use sufficient "authority" the first time. They close easily when a window or the sunroof is open, so it is all about air pressure inside. I also noticed that it was exacerbated when I replaced the door seals, which proved, I suppose, that the old seals really were shot.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:00 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine closes fairly easily, and yes, there is a big difference if a window or the room is open. I recall on my early 911 that replacing the door seals made closing more difficult until the seals had time to compress.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the responses - upon further examination, I see that it's not really misalignment or hinge wear or air pressure (I'll bet a targa doesn't quite seal up like a coupe), but rather the top forward edge of the window contacting the targa top seal, in the last couple inches before the door closes. Put the windows down, and the doors close with a nice "chunk" with minimal effort. Another little quirk of Targaland, I guess.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:23 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You really need to slam the door on my Cab if the windows are up. When down it closes with hardly any effort with a nice solid sound.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:08 AM
last toy
Burning Brakes

The door latch on the frame can be adjusted if you have the right star wrench. There is enough play in the latch that allows some adjustment that should help. Seems that the driver side has the most problems which makes sense since that door opens and closes the most. Dave's response about worn hinges makes a lot of sense and sooner or later will need to be replaced if you want a perfect fit. Afterall, age does take it's toll, nothing lasts forever.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:54 AM
raymond-turner
Instructor

Had the same issue, have you tried lubricating the various parts, I did, it made such a difference. Cheers. R

Quick Reply: Door adjustment