Sponsored by:

Where are all the 964s?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by d964
I am thinking about selling my C4. It's a 1992 with 93k miles and it's gp white. The car is super clean. I'm in Montreal Canada. What do you figure I could get for this car?
No one has answered, so I'll take a stab at it...

I have no idea how the 911 market is in your area of the world. However, in my area, this car may be priced at $24-25k for an asking price and then it might sell around $22k or so. It's a desireable year and if the car is very solid and needs minimal repairs, it would sell quickly in my area since there aren't many 911's for sale as of late and the weather is warm.

Good Luck,

Jay
90 964
Old 05-09-2006, 12:00 PM
FamilyCar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,
FWIW, even at the track - DE/TTs - the 964s are uncommon. 993s always outnumber. And the 993s are much less different in performance than I imagined before running w/ them in my modestly tuned RSA. State of tune and at my level driver is much more the determining factor as to which is the faster car. So, unless you love the 993 look a whole lot better, the 964 is by far the performance value. (The 993RS look/RSR tail sure is gorgeous though; I lust after those myself). I speculate that as the 964s increassingly fall into the hands of aficionados and people that hold their cars forever, the relative undervaluation of the 964 will slowly go away.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Jay H
Drifting

The stigma of the early 964's (and all 964's) is never going to go away. For example, we're 29 years past the last 2.7 liter car being built and those cars are still suffering from poor values (though they have been slightly up in value as of late) as compared to SC's and the 2.4 cars that surround them. Most of those cars have rebuilt motors by now, but everyone is still hesitant about these cars and demand full records on a rebuild of the 2.7 motor before considering the car. They still barely break the $10k mark and only push into the teen's for fully sorted, original cars with fresh motors.

Notice the initial post of this thread where our poster wants only a late model car and prefers to stay away from the early cars due to their issues. That stigma won't go away quickly, if at all.

I feel values of 964's may stabilize, but we'll never see them get much out of the $15,000 to $25,000 range over time.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:43 AM
BongoBradley
Advanced

I too have been looking for a 964 but there just aren't enough available here in my neck of the woods (Seattle, Washington, USA). I would say that the prices do seem pretty reliably in the 25-30k range across the nation- at least what I can pick up from perusing autotrader.com and the like. Few are below 20k. I do have a couple of test drives in the pipeline... and if that works out, after a PPI or two maybe I'll get lucky and find a good car!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Chad T
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like Targas, Cabs, Tips and C4s are more common and more reasonably priced. Also looks to me like the C2 coupes are starting to break away from the rest price wise. Just my observation from looking for a nice C2 Coupe.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:08 AM
cornerhans
Instructor

Default 964

"The stigma of the early 964's (and all 964's) is never going to go away."

Jay H,

You sure about that. Last I checked supply and demand had something to do with it, and the proof of that is exactly what is going on right now in the market place .

Try and find a nice example for under 30k right now, and if you can they are far and few between. The demand is up. I just added one myself to the stable even though I have a 996. There are many people like myself that started out with an SC or later 911 then moved up to a 996 or 997 but want to have a piece of history. You know what I mean; the smell,the sound,the look.

If you have a desire to own one now is the time to get it before the price tag is ridiculous. It will happen. It is happening.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
I've seen the same thing. I'm always looking around at the ads and there are plenty of 993s but very few 964 coupes, especially 92-94. Hmm...maybe it's a good time to sell a 92.

c
If you're serious, count me as one of the "lookers".
Old 05-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by cornerhans
"The stigma of the early 964's (and all 964's) is never going to go away."

Jay H,

You sure about that. Last I checked supply and demand had something to do with it, and the proof of that is exactly what is going on right now in the market place .

Try and find a nice example for under 30k right now, and if you can they are far and few between.
I fished around a bit wondering if I should sell my 964. The few bites I got were in the $21k to $23k range (I was even offered $17k by a dealer). This for a 33,400 mile C2 coupe that is cosmetically in excellent condition, has full records from day 1 and all service up to date. So, I don't believe I'd ever get $30k for my '90 C2. I always got the excuse of the DMF and it could get a cylinder to head leak, etc. etc. etc. Same old stuff about the 964 faults... However, this all could be due to buyers trying to get a deal and running the price down.

Yes, maybe the '93 and '94 coupes might be knocking on the door of $30k for a low mileage, full records, all original example, but the I bet the actual selling price for a typical '90 or '91 964 with mid mileage is well below $30k...

No flames to anyone, just some thoughts and observations.

Jay
90 964
Old 05-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For the record, that 42k mile 1990 C2 that I wanted to buy (but sold out from under me ) sold for his $23,500 asking price.

Also saw a 1994 C2 with 110k miles sell on Pelican. Asking price was...um...I think $22,900. Not sure what it sold for.

Just two recent examples...FWIW.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:21 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

IMO, I really think that if you find an earlier (90-91) C2 that has had the flywheel replaced, the dist. vent kit and a new belt installed, and has medium mileage without any major leaks for a reasonable price (around $20K) then it's a great deal. The reality is if the heads/cyls only exibit minor seepage at that mileage then they will most likely be fine until a complete top end is called for around 150K miles. People make WAY too big of an issue about the head gasket (or lack thereof) problem. Usually by 75K the clutch has been repalced (and the flywheel) and I have yet to find one that hasn't had the vent kit installed (it's VERY cheap to do). A good PPI will tell if the car is solid, go from there.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:18 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Autotrader currently has over 200 964s listed for sale.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:19 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

I think the relatively small numbers along with the particular price range of the car makes them difficult to come by. The price range is one that many of us can live with when buying a toy. They are typically 10K below most 993's and to some, more desireable due to the wing shape. I looked at and nearly bought a 996 as I found a really nice example with low miles. However I couldn't get used to the interior or the headlight shape (fried eggs). I bought the 964 as it kept the body shape that I so wanted as a kid.

I bought a car with 95K miles. I see lots of cars with lesser miles but they demand a premium that I won't pay for a daily driver. If I chose to buy a garage queen, they'd be interesting but if I'm going to drive it (and I do every chance I get) then I'm going to get some paint chips and in a few short years my low milage car will be no longer. I'm of the opinion that a well taken care of car with age appropriate miles is of less risk then a very low milage car that has had regular service but few replacements, i.e. clutch, DMF, etc. My 95K mile car had the clutch done at 88K, effectively a new clutch. So along with all regular service work I feel I bought a car that is well-sorted.

When I bought my car I was also trying to buy a 964 frrom Park Place Motors. They had 90 C2 with 70K. It was sparsely optioned and priced at 25,900. I offered them 22K, citing KBB prices and nat'l averages and told them I was ready to wire the money. I was politely declined with a counter offer of 25,900. They simply did not have to move off that price. I had been in there, worked with the same person who knew me but he said they could get the price. I've noticed that when they do have a 964, they don't have it long. They recently had a car just like mine with about 71K that they had listed at 26,900. It sold in about 2 weeks. I'd bet they didn't have to work the price much either. This is the Seattle area and I think that pricing here for the 964's is pretty high but still, that's a substantial amount beyond what many of us posted in the pricing thread awhile ago. I had felt kind of stupid for paying what I did for my car but in truth I couldn't find one locally for the kind of pricing many of you paid. I could have bought one via the internet but I also feel that a low purchase price can be deceiving so I tend to want to see and drive the car I'm going to buy.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:57 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Jay H........

You have a PM...........
Old 05-10-2006, 10:16 PM
shmark
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes but most of the cars on autotrader are cabs, targas and/or C4s and tips. Try to limit the search to C2 coupes and you find nearly nothing, VERY hard to find. Especially with limited slip. Unfortunately, that's what I want! Then add in getting a good price, and it's definitely tough.

I'm looking at a couple now, but haven't yet pulled the trigger.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:18 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 608 Likes on 464 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Gary R.
...and I have yet to find one that hasn't had the vent kit installed...
I was surprised that my 94 C4TL didn't have a vent kit installed! I thought they came from the factory with them by 94.... guess not!?

Quick Reply: Where are all the 964s?