Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reworking the seat adjustment switches - no need to replace them!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 04:08 AM
PhatPhlatSix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skotter
Here is a picture of where I pried it open.
That's a bit brute force... If you look behind the mounting flange, there's a pair of prongs that you push in with the ends of some fine nosed pliers, or two screw drivers.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:43 PM
mtnbikeman123
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used this thread to repair my driver seat switch. The fix worked great but I really started to struggle with reassembling the switch.

My advice to properly and easily reassemble the switch is to further disassemble it by removing the white spring holder from the button and then remove the rocker cap piece. When reassembling, if you hold the white spring holder in place with pliers, you can then place the rocker cap on top and snap it into place which captures the white spring holder in place properly aligned on top of the *****. Then you push the button into the assembly and it will click into place, completing the assembly. NOTE that the pin in the end of the button has a VERY SMALL spring behind it which I lost for ~30 minutes on my floor. I put a small dab of grease on the pin and spring to hold them in the button. I also put small dabs of grease on the springs which insert into the white spring holder to ensure springs stayed put while I was assembling it. It was slightly difficult to remove the white spring holder from the button sub-assembly but with a small screwdriver and patience it does come apart.

Hope this is clear, it was super easy process once I figured it out and seems like it would be smoother than trying to assembly everything at once with ***** and springs flying everywhere. I attached some pictures for reference.

Parts sans tiny spring

Assembly #1

Assembly #2

Assembly #3

Button with pin
Old 03-23-2016, 12:08 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Awesome thread Garrett ... Keeps on giving

Shd be in the 964 & 993 DIY surely
Old 03-24-2016, 10:21 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Nice write up. Many of the switches from this era are the same design. Another switch that can be reworked this way is the mirror adjuster switch.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:25 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 429 Posts

mmmm.... sure miss my 964's! Enjoy 'em guys!
Old 03-26-2016, 07:36 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Garrett- thank you. This thread saved me a few coins and headaches. A few squirt of Electronic Cleaner did the trick.

Originally Posted by bleachii
Beginner here with a 91 C2 Targa. Symptom was driver seat rear up/down adjuster not working. Seat was fully in the up position. Would hear a slight click when attempting to use the 'up' portion of the rocker switch while seat was already fully heightened. When attempting to bring the rear of the seat down there was no indication of anything from the motor. All other movement in the seat worked just fine.
This was my exact scenario except the seat was in the lowest position.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:12 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you adjust the passenger seat tilt position with a hex key?
Old 06-25-2017, 12:03 AM
Bonesaw
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Awesome instructions, just repaired my switch too! Used another trick in the process, to clean the contacts down deep in the switch housing, just used a paper punch to pop out some holes in 600 grit sandpaper, then a small drop of superglue on end of pencil eraser and easy to twist those contacts clean!
The following 2 users liked this post by Bonesaw:
ianbsears (11-12-2020), misteralz (04-03-2024)
Old 07-04-2017, 05:57 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

^^ awesome trick re punch thanks!
Old 09-05-2017, 01:16 PM
Aurelian Fousse
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screw won't come out

Hi everyone, just got my 91 964 c4 cab, problem is seat won't move forward or backward so I've been trying to follow these instructions but i'm stuck in one of the early steps with removing that one screw, it just spins endlessly, doens't tighten or come out at all. Anyone have any advice?
Old 09-06-2017, 01:00 AM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurelian Fousse
Hi everyone, just got my 91 964 c4 cab, problem is seat won't move forward or backward so I've been trying to follow these instructions but i'm stuck in one of the early steps with removing that one screw, it just spins endlessly, doens't tighten or come out at all. Anyone have any advice?
take a plastic putty knife behind the faceplate and apply some outward pressure as you are backing out the screw. It should start to come out if not pull out. Sounds like the screw was over tightened and the screw hole stripped out and hat the screw threads aren't grabbing enough to pull the screw in or out. Give it a little manual assistance
Old 05-13-2018, 03:46 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I performed this surgery today on my 968..

A small tip regarding the ball bearings:

A tiny amount of super glue on the end of the springs will hold the bearing on the spring.
Tiny amount.
Worked like a charm, and can be assembled without being upside-down.

Don't put too much, or it'll work its way down the spring and bind up in the hole.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:22 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod
I performed this surgery today on my 968..

A small tip regarding the ball bearings:

A tiny amount of super glue on the end of the springs will hold the bearing on the spring.
Tiny amount.
Worked like a charm, and can be assembled without being upside-down.

Don't put too much, or it'll work its way down the spring and bind up in the hole.

I've done this on my 89 carrera uses same buttons as the 964.
Instead of super glue I used silicone grease (ie dielectric grease) just a dab, also used on pivot points, and used contract/electic cleaner / lubricant on switch contacts. switches all work great now.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:17 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I've done this on my 89 carrera uses same buttons as the 964.
Instead of super glue I used silicone grease (ie dielectric grease) just a dab, also used on pivot points, and used contract/electic cleaner / lubricant on switch contacts. switches all work great now.
Ahh I think that would work even better, perhaps.
I initially tried four small neodymium magnets (smaller than dime diameter, 1/8th inch thick) on the button-side of the switch, hoping they would magnetize the springs enough through the plastic to hold the bearings in place. It did work, but not well enough to hold them firmly enough. I could tilt the assembly about 45 degrees before the magnets fell off... if I didn't jiggle them. would need something about quarter-sized to work well.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:46 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Quick Reply: reworking the seat adjustment switches - no need to replace them!