Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reworking the seat adjustment switches - no need to replace them!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 10:25 AM
dcbailey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just fixed mine last night. Very easy once the seat is out of the car. I wasn't able to use the hex key to move my seats as the gearing had sheared and broken all the teeth, so I took it out, then manually moved the seat by pulling out the control cables from the motor and using an adjustable wrench to manually wind each side (drill trick didn't work well). The trick is that they are opposite directions to turn for the left and right sides. Do one side 10-20 turns, then do the other, otherwise the seat will bind.

After getting the switch working again, I manually lined each side up before reconnecting the cables to the motor. Seems to be working fine now.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:43 PM
David Proterun
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watch out for the little rocker arms. They can be springy. One of mine flew with great force out into the great beyond when I tried to remove it. I explored the entire garage twice. I located it 6 months later when I removed the seat. Still an excellent DIY.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:25 AM
bleachii
Advanced

Beginner here with a 91 C2 Targa. Symptom was driver seat rear up/down adjuster not working. Seat was fully in the up position. Would hear a slight click when attempting to use the 'up' portion of the rocker switch while seat was already fully heightened. When attempting to bring the rear of the seat down there was no indication of anything from the motor. All other movement in the seat worked just fine.

Had to snip the zip ties under the seat (2) as mentioned in this thread. Allowed the switches to have more play with which to work. Still very tough conditions. I had a bit of horror on my face when I watched the 4 ball bearings fall out. I was able to reassemble the switch with the seats in the car but it was very difficult and took me almost an hour to finally get it all lined up and have the ball bearings stay in place. Had to ask the kids to leave I put a small towel under my work area to catch the ball bearings when they fell during reassembly. This kept them from falling into small crevices.

I cleaned the contacts with a contact cleaner and wire brush. They didn't look that dirty but you could really tell the difference when a clean one was beside a dirty one.

I did disconnect the battery before removing the 4 contacts per the instructions.

I was amazed when it worked!
Old 02-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

balancing ***** in 29 degree temps after a shot of whisky.. My idea of a perfect sunday..
Old 04-15-2012, 03:15 PM
rgp944
6th Gear

I had the same problem and I did not remove the switches but sprayed the switches with WD-40 which resulted in the switches working for a day or two. I resprayed the switches and I have had no problems for the last 10 months.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Smesh
Advanced

Man this awesome. Thanks so much for the pics. While I tested the seats when I bought my car, my up down stopped working the next day. Gonna check for a fuse first, but if not a fuse, I'll do this repair. My car has manual forward back and seat back tilt but is stuck in the lowest position.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

THANX!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:23 PM
biosurfer1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I would bump this again because it is a great tutorial. My 968 seats had the same problem. I could hear something working and once in a while the seat would move a tiny amount but all 4 switches were pretty much worthless. Now they all work great!
Old 08-04-2013, 04:49 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Even more simple seat switch repair

I didn't find this thread until after I'd tackled the job. Gorilla-like, I pried the outer switch cover off with everything in place and suddenly discovered the cascade of ball bearings and springs.
Amazed at the design, and not having any ball bearings in stock, I came up with the following solution.
First, spray all the copper rocker switches inside with contact cleaner. I then found some pop rivets where the ball at the end was about the same size as the lost ball bearings. I removed the rivet body, then cut the ends off leaving 1/4" polished the head with emory to make them fit exactly. deburred the cut end of the shaft, then just stuck them in the springs. popped the switch body back into the socket and voila.

No removal of seat, everything stays in place, should take 30 min max
Attached Images   
Old 10-28-2013, 03:14 PM
No suede shoes.
1st Gear

Just fixed my seat. Thanks for the great write up.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:24 AM
misteralz
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonH
I removed the rivet body, then cut the ends off leaving 1/4" polished the head with emory to make them fit exactly. deburred the cut end of the shaft, then just stuck them in the springs. popped the switch body back into the socket and voila.

No removal of seat, everything stays in place, should take 30 min max
Now that is a brilliant idea.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:44 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just started detailing the interior of the Targa & find that the passenger seat doesn't move forward & is likely fully back. Found this & it seems it will be my next project.

Great step-by-step! Thank you.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:44 PM
skotter
Track Day

OK I just spent some time using info from this and something I tried which worked perfect. I just stuck a screwdriver (small flathead) in and pried enough of the top away so I could see about 1/8" of the white top of the switch. I then squirted in some of the contact cleaner from Radio Shack and let it sit for 5 minutes. I then dumped squirted some more in and waited 5 minutes. I then popped the switch back in place and I now have 4 directions that work. None of the 4 worked before I popped it open. So in my situation I didn't even take anything apart outside of taking the face plate off.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:46 PM
skotter
Track Day

Here is a picture of where I pried it open.
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2014, 12:22 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Glad this has been so useful! I do miss the great 964 platform, and forum!!

Quick Reply: reworking the seat adjustment switches - no need to replace them!