carfax history question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 12:10 AM
Chad T
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question carfax history question

Hi Guys,

I just did a carfax search on a car I'm looking at. It came up as clean bet there were only 3 entries for emission checks over the last 3 years. No other title info or anything. What could this mean? Seems like there would at least be something from when the car was purchased new. Car in question is a 1994 964 C2.

Chad
Old 04-25-2006, 12:35 AM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

My experience has been that CARFAX is really only good for eliminating cars...not for "approving" them. If something comes up bad or suspicious -- great, you know it, and can move on. If nothing does, you can't assume that there isn't any bad histoy. Some states report a lot, others don't.

I got rear-ended in my 2001 Audi A4 in 2002 by a guy in a truck doing 50 mph. It caused $15k in damage and required the frame to be straightened. Never showed up on CARFAX. I sold the same car (w/full disclosure) 2 weeks before Katrina to a girl from New Orleans. The car was completely submerged during the storm, and she said it was "written off". For laughs I checked the CARFAX a couple months ago on the car (had a 1 month free deal)...it had been registered in Mississippi. Zero mention of flood damage. All the CARFAX showed was periodic emissions checks in Texas (and 1 was missing) and 1 service at the dealer (out of probably 10).

When buying a car like a 964, you really need to see some sort of ownership and maintenance history trail, IMHO. If there aren't receipts, at least look for conistent maintenance stamps in the book, and call the shops listed to 1) see if they know the car, and 2) see if they know what they are doing. And, of course, always get at least one PPI.

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carfax is generall good to see how many owners the car has had... Not, as cwrm4 points out, for finding out anything more serious about your car. Normally Carfax will pick up on insurance claims and other major issues... If there was someone to report it. Insurance companies generally generate these reports. However... if something happened to the car and you fix it buy paying cash... Carfax will never know usually.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:00 AM
flat_six
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Katrina, Rita, Wilma vehicle flood damage database

The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) has a database of known flooded cars and (grounded?) boats at nicb.org
Old 04-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hiya flat_six
Are you going to show your car to us ? Your location ?
Old 04-30-2006, 12:17 PM
flat_six
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Vehicle disclosure

Thanks for calling me out, Indycam. Located in Boulder, Colorado, USA. I drive a 2002 Subaru WRX wagon (midnight black pearl). It's a spanking motorcoach.

I'm eagerly awaiting shipment of a 1991 C2. First Porsche car for me. Very exciting!

Quick Reply: carfax history question