Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed activated air resistance noise (edited)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 03:46 AM
964rh
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed activated air resistance noise (edited)

Hi

I have a noise not unlike an air resistance whistle from the lhs rear of the car when I get above 70 mph. The only way I can get this to disapear is by putting on the recirc. button on the heater control. Turn this off and it's there again.
Is my rear blower fan on the way out or is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks

Rob

edited cause I listened to the noise properly!!

Last edited by 964rh; 04-24-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by robh
Hi

I have a squeak from the lhs rear of the car when I get above 70 mph. The only way I can get this to disapear is by putting on the recirc. button on the heater control. Turn this off and it's there again.
Is my rear blower fan on the way out or is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks

Rob
I'd think that if it were your blower motor, it would also do it at lower speeds??? Did you try turning your heat on at < 70 mph to see if the blower motor makes noise then as well?

Hmmmm... sounds weird. I'm interested in what it could be.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:52 AM
964rh
Pro

Yes I have, no squeak(having listened harder it sounds more like a air resistance noise) below this speed no matter what setting the heater control at.
I thought it may have been a loose spoiler curtain but the only time it does disapear is when you switch on the air recirc.

Does anyone know where the air recirc cuts the air off from?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:26 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've got both of the 'slider' controls closed, try opening one a little. This works for me.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:06 PM
964rh
Pro

Thanks John, tried this but to no avail.

Any more ideas?
Old 04-25-2006, 05:08 AM
LeRoux Strydom
Instructor

The re-circ flap closes the airbox right at the top behind the little air intake grill below the wipers. If you hear an air leak with the flap open, it may be that one of the other flaps controlling airflow to the window/feet/sides does not close properly or the motor is stuck. You can see the motors and levers controlling these flaps by removing the black plastic cover over the airbox in the luggage compartment. Get the wife or g/f to move the sliders and temp **** (with ignition on) while you watch the movement of the motors & levers. They are adjustable, but ideally the airbox has to be out of the car. This is a major PITA (fuel tank & fuse box out) and is not recommended if not necessary.

I have some pics of the airbox taken when I replaced the a/c condensor on my car which required removal of the airbox. I took that opportunity to make sure all the flaps inside were correctly aligned. I could post some photos if you want.

You can also use a bosch hammer or DougB's diagnostic software (see thread below) to check if your climate control unit shows any fault codes, which may point you to the problem.

Le Roux
Old 04-25-2006, 07:13 AM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi Rob,

Study the pics and diagram posted by Jason here:

Jason's pics

Realize that sometimes that any of the 3 blowers can squeak under certain back pressures or cfm's, and not squeak at other conditions if they're in need of some lubrication. It's just the way the blower shaft rides in the bushing. I don't think it's your rear blower making noise. You can try increasing the blower speed selection next time you hear the squeak, if the squeak changes pitch, then it's your LHD or RHD blower.

It sounds like you've narrowed it down to an aerodynamic noise, which seems plausible. When you go in recirc mode the cabin pressure decreases and the interior air stops whistling out the hole in your cabin. This hole could be in the actual ducting for the recirc vents at the base of your seat belts, or the gap in a seal where you passed a wire for a cell phone/ XM radio antenna, etc. Do you have any water leaks after it rains?

Be thankful you have a coupe because I almost had to enroll in an aeronautics course to solve the air leaks in my targa soon after ownership.

later, Kevin
Old 04-25-2006, 04:30 PM
964rh
Pro

Thanks

I have had the rear seat backs taken out, I don't suppose any holes could be leading outside from them could they?

As far as I know there are no water leaks in the car but I haven't really looked.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:16 AM
964rh
Pro

Hi

Thanks to you all for your help.
Finally solved the problem today, one of the seat bolts was letting a minute amount of air out.

As Kevin said, the air pressure changed with recirc button on and stopped the air escaping. The hole was tiny (about .5mm but was enough to bug the sh1te out of me.
Plugged the hole with a new, shorter bolt and she's as quiet as a mouse again.

Rob

Quick Reply: Speed activated air resistance noise (edited)