Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes still squeal like a stuck pig.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006 | 01:43 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Just a note for the record - my brakes were terrible squealers - I just replaced the front pads with new Metal Master pads from Pelican, with no "mushrooms" and the squealing is completely gone. Immediately gone! Love it!
Old 04-27-2006 | 09:33 AM
Idoktr
Rennlist Member

Default Any DIY sites for the brake job??

I told you I was a novice....Could you clarify the "mushrooms", I think they are the stick on pads that go behind the brake pads, but want to make sure. What happens if they are not there???
Old 04-27-2006 | 09:55 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

"Any DIY sites for the brake job??"
You are on it , rennlist .

"Could you clarify the "mushrooms"
You got it , stick on pad things , called mushrooms because they look funny .

"What happens if they are not there???"
When I redid my brakes , I didn't use the mushrooms , I used flat anti squeel pads . Others use paste
Old 04-27-2006 | 01:19 PM
Arrivare
Advanced

I experienced very loud squealing on the front of my car immediately after changing the rotors, pads, and anti squeal shims. Nothing that I tried reduced the noise despite numerous strip downs. I then found that if I modulated the pressure on the foot pedal I could get an octave note. After about 2 weeks I could get about 4 notes but then ------- the squealing went away. I know that this is sad but, in a way, I miss the attempts to play a tune in a traffic jam (Keeping an eye on the car in front of course)
Don't change the callipers, when the brake pad dust builds up it damps out the vibration and thus the noise.

Regards and keep on squealing

Allen
Old 04-27-2006 | 02:03 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

My brakes were TERRIBLE when I got the car...just terrible. I took out the pads, cleaned thoroughly (there was lots of sticky nasty stuff in there and it was a mess) and replaced with Ferodo pads from pelican. Absolutely zero squeal for over 6 months. When they did start to make a 'slight' noise again, I removed the pads, cleaned, replaced and once again all was quiet.

I would spend some time really cleaning the calipers before inserting new pads (sounds like the metal masters may be the way to go). The dust, grime and residue from anti-squeal gunk and backings might be half the problem.
Old 04-27-2006 | 04:16 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Has anyone with really noisy back early style brakes ever fixed a terrible squeal? If so, how?

i'm at wits end, and I hate to throw money at it with newer style calipers considering what they cost these days.
Old 04-27-2006 | 04:22 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Newer-style rear calipers are $200, used, from the wreckers. Not too bad - cheaper than several brake pad sets!!!
Old 04-27-2006 | 04:42 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Where exactly can I get this 200 deal? Best I've found is 350-400.

I've looked extensively, and asked for quotes. The two I've gotten were 350 and 400. The 350 was a fellow rennlister.

200 would be a no brainer.
Old 04-27-2006 | 04:45 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Los Angeles Dismantler is where I got a set of rear 993 calipers for $200 about 10 mo's ago... or maybe it was 1 year ago, I don't remember.

It's fairly easy to find used 993 rear calipers (which are the same as the turbo rear caliper size but for the thinner non-turbo disc) - a lot of guys on the 993 board may have them available - post on their board.
Old 04-27-2006 | 04:48 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

I got mine for $200 6 months ago by putting a ad in the classified on here.
Old 04-27-2006 | 05:34 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Heirsh
Has anyone with really noisy back early style brakes ever fixed a terrible squeal? If so, how?
I had this problem with my newer style 4-piston calipers but they operate exactly the same as yours and I had to have the spring plates replaced. The plate kits are ~$16USD. To completely rebuild a 4-piston caliper (replacing boots, seals & plates) costs ~$82USD. You might be able to rebuild a 2-piston for half that?

Originally Posted by idoktr
I told you I was a novice....Could you clarify the "mushrooms", I think they are the stick on pads that go behind the brake pads, but want to make sure. What happens if they are not there???
Stewart,
What is your schedule like on Sunday? I'm going to be in Worcester all weekend so I could stop by late afternoon or early evening if you live around Natick/Framingham.
Old 04-29-2006 | 10:24 PM
Idoktr
Rennlist Member

Default Sunday schedule

Jason,

Thanks!!!!!!! I have not yet received the new pads for the fronts. I ordered from Pelican but they have not yet arrived. I looked at my service records and the rear pads and rotors were replaced last July. I just took the car back to the mechanic this past week and he readjusted but said there is nothing more he can do. He also believes that it is the calipers and eventually needs to be replaced. I do trust him as he has done several things for my past 2 Porsches and leaves the final decisions to me as to whether to fix or wait.....

So for now I will replace the fronts with Metal Masters, replace the sensors and add the copper anti-squeal paste. When they arrive....

Short of that I am not sure what else to do...especially with my limited mechanical experiece.

So probably this Sunday would be too soon, since I have no parts, unless you have any other ideas.

Stewart
Old 04-30-2006 | 08:29 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Yup tried LA dismantlers. They went up on their prices Thanks for the replies though.

Jason thanks for the ideas.

Quick Reply: Brakes still squeal like a stuck pig.....