Sponsored by:

Blueprint engine and exhaust mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blueprint engine and exhaust mods

I'm budgeting a rebuild on my motor in the next 2 years. I've done a search in the archives and have found little info on blueprinting the engine.
Since I'll be in for valve guides and clutch, thought I'd ask those of you who have done engine blueprint rebuilds if there are any downsides, ie emissions etc. I know it'll definitely raise hp with the higher compression, but will it also make it non-smog legal?
And since I'll be pulling the engine off, I thought I'd add a MAF and full exhaust with cat and heat exchangers along with a chip mod.
So yes it'll be major bucks and thought I'd check how much I should price my kidney or first born for to make this all happen. I have no wish to put this cab on the track though, just thought since I'll be spending 8k on a rebuild what's a few k more for blueprinting? Am I being naive?
Old 04-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The higher compression will make for hotter combustion temps. That will lower the unburned hydrocarbons, but can raise the NOs. You may also exceed the readily available octane in your area. With the blueprinted motor for my car, the shop recommend using 100 octane fuel for the track. You probably would not need that high an octane, but 91 or 92 may not cut it.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Thanks for the sobering splash. I was thinking of just raising compression to the stock advertised 11.3:1 as Porsche says is the engine (mine is about 10.2). And yes I intend to use it on the street with 91 fuel only. Strange that bringing it to factory M64.01 specs will push it over the 91 octane limit. I suppose I'll have to research that some more.
Also wondering if anyone with a header/cat/muffler upgrade have any problems with CA smog checks?
Old 04-13-2006, 10:53 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Although I have not done it yet, but likely will next winter, I'm told you can't do a proper blueprint rebuild for <$12k at least out here in the East. Larry, the cost of your recent rebuild isn't really split out of you car purchase price, right? Otherwise, what do you think the proper bluprint costs?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:13 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Although I have not done it yet, but likely will next winter, I'm told you can't do a proper blueprint rebuild for <$12k at least out here in the East. Larry, the cost of your recent rebuild isn't really split out of you car purchase price, right? Otherwise, what do you think the proper bluprint costs?
Correct, the rebuild cost is part of the purchase price, which is what made it such a great deal. I think that the previous owner is getting a break on the price though, and since we are using a motor that only had 14K miles on it, the P&Cs were perfect. That saved a lot. I still think that the cost will be around $8K.

One of the areas where you need to spend money is in replacement hardware for the motor. Rod bolts, case bolts for the mains and head studs should not be reused IMHO if you are trying to build a reliable race motor. The other place that can suck money like a sponge is in the top end & head work. If you need new valve guides, valves, springs, rocker arms, chains etc, just watch the money fly.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:46 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

So all in all about $10-13k. Which is what I figured it would be. I just figured since it was going to rebuild may as well get it done to factory specs as close as possible. I suppose the octane issue would be crucial, but if the compression is rated at 11.3:1 by Porsche, surely it would run on 91AKI octane if everything were manufacturer spec?
Old 04-14-2006, 08:46 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

93 pump gas will work fine with out knocking
Old 04-14-2006, 08:55 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
93 pump gas will work fine with out knocking
Unfortunately in CA, we have 91 pump octane as the highest, with a few 92 stations from 76. I guess that little pipe dream just went away.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Eggplant, the equation for your motor is simple:

1) High Compression
2) Advanced Timing
3) Pump Gas

Pick any 2.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Eggplant, the equation for your motor is simple:

1) High Compression
2) Advanced Timing
3) Pump Gas

Pick any 2.
I think I'll pick 1 & 3 and hope there's some power increase in that. I just don't want a noisy exhaust system and emissions problems. I'll look into that with the engine rebuilder... first I have to find one that's good and nearby.

Quick Reply: Blueprint engine and exhaust mods