Sponsored by:

OBC Retrofit ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 08:39 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Question OBC Retrofit ??

Anybody know what parts / wiring looms are needed to retrofit a rev/counter with OBC display? My car is a '90 Carrera 4. Has anyone else done this conversion?

I'm hoping, but guessing it's not, a simple plug n play fit. Is it possible that all cars came with the wiring loom installed but the onboard computer was only fitted when optioned by the customer?
Old 04-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

My 90 C2 had the wiring for the OBC tach. I never got around to adding the outside temp sensor, but did find a switch on e-bay. Works great. Pull the tach out, and you should be able to find the obc tach connector if it's there.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:30 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Thanks Eric...the switch you're referring to, is that the one on the steering column? Is that and extra arm on the column? I already have the indicator stalk and wiper control arm as well...am I correct in assuming that the new one replaces one or both of those?

I've done a search on eBay but I'm not really sure what words or phrase I should be using to find the switch or control arm. Any ideas?? Are they a fairly common or regularly appearing item on eBay?

Thanks for your help.

Neil
Old 04-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

I managed to find just the obc "arm", which bolts onto the existing switches. They do turn up occasionally on e-bay. I had to dremel the opening in the cover..... turned out okay........ The OBC switch is opposite the cruise control switch. It is in addition to your existing switches. I don't recall what I found the switch listed under, sorry.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:06 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC there was a thread about this, some years ago........maybe the search button could be your friend?.

Kevin
Old 04-09-2006, 12:40 PM
IanR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The OBC switch is in addition to what you already have - it sits below the left hand one. You may also need to modify the lower steering column cover, and cut a slot for the arm.

I did this a couple of months ago - my car is a '90 C2 (October '89 build) and had the wiring for the tach and switch already in place. I haven't bothered with the outside temp sensor.

Regards
Ian
Old 04-09-2006, 01:47 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

My 90 C2 had the wiring insalled (except for the external temp sensor). The OBC tach and control lever are plug and play add-ons. I got the whole setup from a dismantler: OBC tach and control stalk, including the lower steering column cover that has the proper cutout for the new OBC control stalk (on the lower left).

I removed the original tach to confirm the presence of the OBC connector in the dash (there should be 2 connectors, one for the old tach and a different one (more pins, different shape) for the OBC tach. Either one or the other connector is used, not both. The OBC control stalk connector is hidden under the steering column.

The original tach is fairly easy to get out but the OBC tach is deeper and I found it much easier to install it by first removing the steering wheel. Others have said they have installed it without the wheel off but I thought the risk of damaging the dash was too great.

I also ordered the temp sensor and ran wiring to install it at the front of the car so everything is functional. Depending on where you are located you will want to be sure to get the right model of OBC as the various US, Canadian, UK and Euro versions are different (kms, miles, litres, US gallons, imperial gallons etc) and they are not configurable.

Good luck.

Jim
Old 04-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol Rotor. I did wonder if you had seen the same thing on ebay when I saw your thread.

Well I guess you did as you just outbid me
Old 04-09-2006, 03:06 PM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Oops!! Sorry Pesty!! I'm not in any urgent hurry for it to be really honest. I've bid 48 pounds so if you think it's worth 50 then I won't bid any higher. I'd retract the bid but it doesn't look good on the feedback
Best of luck,

Neil
Old 04-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No. Its ok alls fair in love and e bay. I will stay out of the bidding. Hope you get it.

I have wondered though if it might be a good idea to have some kind of thread listing everyones ebay names. I have lost stuff before and always wondered if we were bidding against Rennlist members.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:34 PM
jeff522
Racer

I've beeem wonting to do the same on mine.Sounds fairly easy.One queston dose anyone know what the hole on the right side bottom of the stearing collum is for?Thanks

Jeff 1990 C2 Coupe White/Burgundy leather
Old 04-09-2006, 10:20 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Not sure exactly what/where you mean but the bottom right is where the cruise control stalk would go.

Jim
Old 04-09-2006, 11:32 PM
jeff522
Racer

Jim,
The opening is on the undersurface of the column(floor side),about 2 cms toward the dash from the cruise controll stalk.Its about 3.5 cms across and 1.5 cms long.There's some kind of a plug that can be reached througt the opening in the bottom cover plate of the stearing column.I have no idea what it is for,but would love to know.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the hole is to access the mount bolt for the switch assembly.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:32 AM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 93 C4 had the wiring and connector for the tach installed, but I could not find the wires for the temp sensor (going from wing mirror to the tach), so I drew the wires myself. No problem.

I got all the parts from LD Dismantler in Los Angeles. Nice people, and the parts were in good condition.

However, make sure you get a 964 tach. By mistake, I got a 993 model and I suspect this is the reason why I do not get any reading on the "distance on remaining fuel" function.

Take care,

Jens

Quick Reply: OBC Retrofit ??