Sponsored by:

Becker CDR220

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 02:52 PM
grankin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Becker CDR220

Anyone have an opinion about one as a replacement for the stock 964's radio? They're available (with an adapter to fit the 964) at a decent price ($495 with all adapters), look pretty low-key, can be hooked up to aux inputs and Becker's Silverstone CD changer.

Gene Rankin
Old 04-04-2006, 04:48 PM
964rh
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gene

Don't know whether you can get them in the States, but I fitted a Becker Mexico last year to my 964.

Looks fairly plain and boring compared to some of the Chavy ones you get over here but i.m.o. looks great in the 964.

I'll post some pix when I can.

Rob

btw - I paid (for a brand new, boxed unit, with wiring loom, instructions etc) £69 from ebay.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:04 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
Default CR/CDR210 vs. CR/CDR220

Gene,

I put a CR210 in my '90 964 along with a CD3 6 disk changer (this was the typical 993 installation) and am quite happy with it. The problem with the CR/CDR220's is that the display is optimized for a different viewing angle than that in the 964. I actually installed one in my car and found that the display was completely unreadable from the driver's position. If you are really set on the 220, there is a solution for the viewing angle problem at www.beckerautosound.com who offer a display replacement for the CR/CDR220's for use in the 964.

Some of the reasons I went for the CR210 were to large, high contrast display. the retention of the cassette player for "historical" reasons (and to complement the cassette storage unit that remains in the center console), and the direct in-dash replacement of the stock unit (with suitable wiring harness also available from Becker). For some reason, with the 220 I could not get it to go all the way into the dash, leaving it sticking out about 1/4 inch. This may have been due to some stray cable in the dash but after I realized I couldn't read the display anyway I didn't spend too much time trying to figure it out.

If you just want the in dash CD the CDR210 is a good match. Of course the problem with all CD units of this vintage is they have no shock compensation circuitry. I'm not sure about the in dash unit but the trunk mounted CD3 changer really doesn't like my Bilstein HDs until I get up to about 60 mph!

If you have any specific questions about my install send me a message.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 04-04-2006, 10:37 PM
grankin
Instructor

Originally Posted by robh
Gene

Don't know whether you can get them in the States, but I fitted a Becker Mexico last year to my 964.

Looks fairly plain and boring compared to some of the Chavy ones you get over here but i.m.o. looks great in the 964.

I'll post some pix when I can.

Rob

btw - I paid (for a brand new, boxed unit, with wiring loom, instructions etc) £69 from ebay.
Boring's good. Nearly all the modern radios are so chavy you'd think they were wearing Burberry plaid. That's a fab price; will keep my eyes open.

Thanks!

-Gene
Old 04-04-2006, 10:50 PM
grankin
Instructor

Originally Posted by C24FUN
Gene,

I put a CR210 in my '90 964 along with a CD3 6 disk changer (this was the typical 993 installation) and am quite happy with it. The problem with the CR/CDR220's is that the display is optimized for a different viewing angle than that in the 964. I actually installed one in my car and found that the display was completely unreadable from the driver's position. If you are really set on the 220, there is a solution for the viewing angle problem at www.beckerautosound.com who offer a display replacement for the CR/CDR220's for use in the 964.

Some of the reasons I went for the CR210 were to large, high contrast display. the retention of the cassette player for "historical" reasons (and to complement the cassette storage unit that remains in the center console), and the direct in-dash replacement of the stock unit (with suitable wiring harness also available from Becker). For some reason, with the 220 I could not get it to go all the way into the dash, leaving it sticking out about 1/4 inch. This may have been due to some stray cable in the dash but after I realized I couldn't read the display anyway I didn't spend too much time trying to figure it out.

If you just want the in dash CD the CDR210 is a good match. Of course the problem with all CD units of this vintage is they have no shock compensation circuitry. I'm not sure about the in dash unit but the trunk mounted CD3 changer really doesn't like my Bilstein HDs until I get up to about 60 mph!

If you have any specific questions about my install send me a message.

Good luck,

Jim
Oddly, I'm interested in the 220 because it has an aux input, so I can run my Sony DC6 cassette machine through it. Got a ton of cassettes and a fair number of CDs, and want to try to play both. I've had the cassette 'bin' apart, and it doesn't work as well as they designed it to ... and I've got a jones for the Bird armrest/cupholder/bigger storage bin to replace it. This car seems to demand ever more expensive toys (I just blew a bunch of bucks on the H4 conversion).

The guys at SW Stereo suggest buying a $45 wiring adapter, a $25 aux-in cable, and said that they'd dupply it with a faceplate that'd allow it to fit the 964. I don't know if that means the viewing angle's fixed, but that's a good tip to check on.

I'll give you a shout when I get closer to the decision point. Thanks!

-Gene
Old 04-05-2006, 12:21 AM
cjansen
Advanced

Hi Gene,

I put a CDR-220 in my car last year and love it. Looks great IMO. I got the adaptor and aux-in cable from SW Stereo and it was plug 'n play (no cutting). I wired the aux in to a pair of RCA jacks in my glove compartment and use just throw my ipod in the glove box with an Airclick remote which I strap to the e-brake. I can turn the ipod on/off, adjust volume and skip tracks. The faceplate is unreadable from the normal driving position but I haven't got around to swapping my old one out for the replacement unit.

Let me know if you have any questions
Old 04-05-2006, 05:39 AM
964rh
Pro

Gene

Attached is a photo of the unit I put in my 964.

I too found that the unit stuck out about 1/4" when I was installing. After leaving for a few months cause I could just not be bothered to sort, the factory head unit guides needed opening out a little to accept the unit.

Must admit tho' the display is hard to read when you have sunlight on it.

Rob
Old 04-08-2006, 02:03 PM
DustinTarditi
Instructor

Any DIN sized radio will be OK - I installed a Blaupunkt Casablanca CD/WMA/MP# player with aux inputs (iPod or whatever - I have my XM hooked up to the aux.) I paid about $180 on eBay for it about 1 year ago.

Quick Reply: Becker CDR220