Sponsored by:

Dipstick Deciphered!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This post made me smile as only last week in a PM to Mr J Bogg I moaned about how difficult reading the oil was.
A Porsche mechanic friend of mine said a blanket over the grille on the engine lid helps the engine warm up and he told me not to dip the oil and take the reading until the oil cooler fan in the rh front under the wheel well comes on, that way you can be sure the oil is up to operating temperature.
Having said all that, its still not clear on the stick where the oil is up to
Old 04-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Hey guys,
Dont forget that this is a real dry sump oil sytem with a relatively massive quantity of oil available.If the gauge reads - the oil level is OK !

The dipstick is a leftover from pre 964 models and is a there for gauge double check though I find that my hand on the tank will tell me where the level is !!.

There are more problems to be had with overfill than under .If the level is too high some oil will get pulled into the inlet manifold on overrun.That will make smoke like you have never seen!!

The fan cutting in / blanket over the grill ideas are pretty much standard pratice for most places doing this job all the time
The trick is to get the oil good and hot . In the winter a drive may not be enough !

Now try explaining that to a "normal " car owner !!!

All the best

Geoff
Old 04-04-2006, 12:49 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Along these lines, what are the bad symptoms of running a cold engine at normal shifting speeds right away. I occassionally start the car, pull it out of the drive and drive away at normal shifting speeds with little or no thinking about letting the engine get to normal temps before getting on the highway at above 4000 RPM in about 5 minutes.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Don,
Over here if you try > 4000rpm in 5th on a regular basis the law will take a very dim view ! Time to practise long walks ??, maybe Goverment supplied food and bed !!
Different world in Toronto - sounds more like my time in Bavaria !

I would certainly wait until the temperature gauge starts to move before exploring those areas.

All the best

Geoff
Old 04-04-2006, 01:50 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Geoff, let me clarify. 4000 rpm in 1st and 2nd to get up to cruising in 4th or 5th at 2500. Yes, hitting 4000 rpm in fifth in a guards red porsche on the 403 would get me a lot of attention. I think they haul you away here at above 140 kph. If I waited for my temp guages to move it would be 15 minutes. My porsche uses very little oil and does not get very hot, usually the guage does not get above 8:00 unless idling in hot weather. As long as it sounds and feels good, I run it at normal shifting speeds.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:03 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The manual suggests <4500 rpm for the first five minutes, or something similar. I use 3000 rpm until the oil is warm enough to get to the 2nd tick on the gauge, 4500 until the oil is thoroughly warm and the thermostat has opened (I read somewhere about sudden additional load on the oil pump and lines when the thermostat opens with the cold oil in the lines and cooler. Is this a 911 legend?) and redline as needed or desired after that. In cold weather that often means gentle-ish driving for 15 minutes or so.

The "bad symptoms" you were asking about are long-term - greater wear on the engine, since the oil isn't doing its job very well when you first start out from cold.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Don,
Good to know the same rules apply !! though , I was starting to consider a trip out to the lawless West !!!! Just kidding.

Its generally not revs ,within reason,that hurt a motor but load .Lets be real about this subject , the cars have to be driven, so all that is asked for is a bit of consideration ! Sounds like you are giving your motor all the care it will need.

Good to hear you have a 964 in the finest color !!

All the best

Geoff
Old 04-04-2006, 07:29 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Observation on the oil level gauge - it will fall about 30 min to 1 hr (ie from 3:00 to 3:30 or 4:00 on the gauge when the thermostat opens and the engine cools off a bit. At least on my gauges I can see the temp will be hovering at the mark around 8:00-ish and the oil level at 3:00, then the t-stat opens and the temp and oil level both move down a bit.

Significance? None! (I hope?) Just interesting...
Old 04-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a quick trick to warm up the engine... esp for those with Cabs. Throw a large towel or blanket on the intake as someone else suggested and idle while you put on the cab boot. That 1-2 minutes of idle should get it going.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:16 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Geoff,

My girlfriend and I spent 10 days touring NS last June. Amazing province. The lobster we got in Digby and Chiticamp was the best. I went fly fishing for atlantic salmon on the margaree river a couple of days. Didn't catch anything but the experience of casting into that beautiful river was awesome. I take it you have a guards red 964.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Don ,
Its not hard to find some great stuff here in NS. Of all the places I have lived in the world this is the best for me !!
Yes my 964 is Guards Red - just waiting for it to become "the " color in maybe another 5-10 years !! No wait - I dont care !!

All the best

Geoff
Old 04-05-2006, 05:05 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Geoff, Guards Red was "the " color of choice" when these cars were introduced. Most of my old Car and Driver mags test Porsches that were Guards red. The late 90 models pushed the other colors like black, yellow, and midnight blue. have a good one.

Quick Reply: Dipstick Deciphered!