Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valeo or Bosch Windshield Wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having done the wiper rest position to the right conversion a two years ago I can run a 17 inch blade on the driver side .
A few weeks ago I got a 17 inch Reflex blade from Canadian Tire.
The best wiper blade I have ever had !! They are frameless and follow the screen perfectly.

Just my $0.02

Geoff
Old 04-11-2006, 07:55 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Geoff - got a pic of the new frameless wiper? I'm curious to know if they are similar to the VW ones like we have on the Golf GTi...
Old 04-11-2006, 09:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/valeo/ultimate.jsp#
Click on 'View Detail'
Old 04-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Rob,
I dont think these blades are OE for anyone.
They are made in the US . Flat, horizontal backing to the blade. Absolutely superb.Best blade I have had in tooooo many years of driving!!

I dont know what brand name they go under in the US.

All the best

Geoff
Old 04-12-2006, 02:25 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Valeo Ultimates start at 16" so the 13" 964 is out of luck unless you do a mod like Geoff (Red Rooster) did.

Geoff, do you mind if you could explain the conversion for those who are interested? I am for one.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:11 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Yep - that's the one. Geoff, I'd be interested to hear about the ocnversion too - I just can't see how 17" is possible!
Old 04-12-2006, 08:27 AM
CraigyB

Rennlist Member

I'm interested as well, by far the worst thing about the car are the wipers imo !
Old 04-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

The "conversion " is just setting the rest position 180 degrees from the factory setting.
In the standard position the driver side blade sits drooped across the curved edge of the screen . It was obvious to me that a summer sat that way will put a serious curve in the blade so when the rain/snow starts the driver has a bannana shaped wiper blade !! Like everyone else I got frustrated when performance in the rain was set by the wipers and buying a new blade every year !!

To fix that is a bit of a fiddle but the results make it worthwhile.
The wiper drive is a crank lever on the wiper motor . The plan is to set the wipers at rest and see the orientation of the crank .Then remove the 13mm nut that holds it on the wiper motor shaft , wiggle the crank off the motor shaft and rotate it 180 degrees .The last step means the wipers will now rest at the old full wipe position.Put the nut back on and you are ready to go!
I had to remove the driver side hood strut and the long plastic trim to get access to the crank and nut.
It really is a patience job but not difficult .

This then means that a 17 inch blade can go on the driver side with the standard passenger blade drooped on the screen curve .This big blade gives a much better wipe action and clears more of the screen, especially at the top.

For a Zero cost modification this is worthwhile ,in my opinion, plus it means that you can get really picky about the 17 inch blade rather than scouring shelves to see if there is anything 13 inch !!!

I did this about 4/5 years ago so I am too idle/busy to take it all apart and do a step by step photo shoot !Maybe someone doing the job can put this whole process into pictures.

All the best

Geoff
Old 04-12-2006, 11:27 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

993 write up here:- http://p-car.com/diy/wiper/

Kevin
Old 04-12-2006, 01:06 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the explanations guys...only one problem - I just can't get my head around it.

You're simply parking the wipers on the 'other side' - so they still do exactly the same sweep...so how does a 17" wiper suddenty fit? The screen hasn't changed sizes, the wiper pivot point hasn't changed...

Or am I being a bit stupid?
Old 04-12-2006, 06:14 PM
tafkai

will this work on a right-hand-drive car ??
if so , i'm going to do it .
Old 04-12-2006, 06:19 PM
tafkai

rob ,
i'm away so i cant see my car , but does the 13" blade stop cleaning 4 inches down from the top of the screen ? , but you cannot fit a bigger wiper as the 13" hangs over the side when parked , so anything bigger would be stupid !!!
so , if it was parked on the passenger side would a 127" sit on the screen bottom ??

thats the only way i see it working .

unless usa cars havre different length arms to ours ??

me being an idiot , i needed to replace my wipers the other month , but only relaced the drivrs side just to see if i needed new wipers . i did . i still do . but only on the passenger side . this long weekend home would be a perfect time to do this mod / take some pictures .

there , talked myself into doing another mod on the car !!!
Old 04-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Guys,
Take a look at the passenger side wiper blade.Imagine it 2 inches longer each end . It fits absolutely no problem and your passenger has really good wiper action.
The standard driver side cannot have a longer blade as it is hanging off the screen as it is.

Thats why I swapped the rest position over.

I have just looked at the dirt pattern on my windscreen , driver side and there is just about 2 inches at the top and 5 inches at the bottom. The gap at the top is more than adequate clearance.

The 993 has a completely different and better wiper set up that I wouldnt bother to change .In fact it was because of the 993 superiority in this area that I started out on this excercise ! I think that the motor drive crank is much more in the center off the car on a 993 and so could be a PIA.

If I remember correctly it took me an afternoon to do the job and it was tedious and fiddly BUT not difficult.
The rest is up to you.

All the best

Geoff
Old 04-13-2006, 04:33 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Geoff,

One of the reasons I hadn't done this a long time ago was because after washing the screen, on the passenger side the water floats up the screen for what seems like ages. Whilst this bugs the passenger I had the wipers at rest on my side stopping any excess water travelling up the screen.
Quesion is what did you experience? when you'd modded the wiper position.

kevin
Old 04-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Kevin,
When I first did the position swap with 13 inch blades I think there may have been some small amount of water trail up the screen on occaisions.
Using 13 inch blades the wiper performance was pretty well unchanged from standard.

With the longer blade driver side I dont recall any trail. I will have to wait for rain to absolutely confirm that.
I guess that my pleasure at having a more effective wiper system has overwhelmed all other observations !!
Again , bottom line is that the whole thing will cost a 17 inch blade and your time !
If you dont like it ,put it back to standard .

Hope that helps

Geoff

Quick Reply: Valeo or Bosch Windshield Wipers?