Sponsored by:

Dumb Question Time.... Oil Change Related

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 09:24 PM
mmccray
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Question Time.... Oil Change Related

My Tech book says the capacity for oil change and filter is 9.5 quarts and Complete refill is - 12.5 quarts.

I think I may have been overfilling. I drain the crankcase, oil tank, and filter - however it seems that it takes about 10.5 to 11 quarts before it shows up on the dipstick. However the on-dash guage will show it's got plenty of oil.

I'm getting confused Add to this that I found some oil in my intake when I removed it to change the oil pressure sender oring. Am I overfilling?

How much oil is in the lines anyway?

Can anyone give me some advice? I'm trying to figure out if I'm making my oil leaks worse than they need to be!!!

Marshall McCray
1990 C2 Still confusing me after all these years but she is SWEET.
1987 944s reliable and easy to figure out, another SWEETIE.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:38 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine seems to take about 10 qts at a change.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:42 PM
mmccray
Rennlist Member

Appreciate the response. I suppose 10 qts would be about right. Do you drain the crankcase, tank, and replace the filter? If this is right - I've been overfilling - but even more interesting is that I'm beginning to wonder if the dipstick is calibrated wrong.

I got a little scared seeing the oil in the intake. I know it shouldn't be there!

Thanks
Marshall McCray
Old 03-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Marshall -

Mine takes about 9.5 QT after a change. Trust the dipstick, be sure to check the oil fully warmed up, level, at an idle. It should not be above the center point between the two marks. After draining/new filter I usually put in 8 QTS, run the car for a mile or two nice and easy, then check it on level ground.

I'm sure this is all old news to you, but figured I would re-state the obvious anyway...
Old 03-27-2006, 10:34 PM
mmccray
Rennlist Member

Gary - Thanks!

I may have inadvertantly been overfilling all along. I think I'm correct in stating that there should not be any oil in the lower intake. I read somewhere that there is a tube - proabably of the "breather" type that connects the tank to the throttle body- if the tank is overfilled, oil can supposedly migrate to the intake.

I'll take your advice and not fill on the stick beyond the midpoint.

Thanks again. This one really had me puzzled - I have tried to trust the dipstick, but it just seems like I'm having to add way to much oil to get it to register on the stick. And yes - warmed up idling for check, etc...

It has taken as much as 11.5 quarts to get her full. Just didn't seem right. So thought I'd ask those who know.

Appreciate your help!

Marshall McCray
Old 03-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't have to be just warm... it has to be HOT. My car never shows the right level until it's run at least 15-20mins. I'd put in 9 quarts and run it for 20mins(not idling). Then fill accordingly. I found out my ex-mechanic never did that.

Last edited by Eggplant Cab; 03-28-2006 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:12 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Marshall... By chance do you know if you have an additional oil cooler installed? That may make up for the difference your hearing about.

Just a thought.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Marshall ,
Ever considered using the level gauge ? If its working ,I would trust what it says rather than the stick especially with fresh ,clean oil.
I agree with everyone that you have to get the oil hot . An old trick is to close the lid and put a blankett over the air intake. Then you can watch the temperature come up, the thermostat open and the temperature go down a bit.
That way you know the cooler is full and working.Then check the level -on the gauge ??

I was in Canadian Tire yesterday and my wife said that I seemed to be obsessed with oil !!!!!!!! Oil is oil !!
They dont understand !! Summer change is coming and after all the threads on viscosity I just had to check out what was available .

Good luck with your oil level.

Geoff
Old 03-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's funny - I always trusted the stick more than the gauge in the car because the stick goes directly into the oil sump. I relied on the gauge once I knew it read approximately what the stick said, although I'd still check the stick periodically.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:19 PM
mmccray
Rennlist Member

Part of the reason I got this started has to do with the fact I too have always trusted the stick. BUT, I'm adding nearly 11.5 quarts to get it to register on the stick. The dash guage will be showing full, but nothing showing on the stick at 9.5 to 10 quarts.

After seeing oil standing in my lower intake and reading that there is a tube that connects the tank to the throttle body that can allow an overfill of the tank to migrate into the intake system and create problems... I got a little bit worried. I'm pretty sure, I've been overfilling. I'm going to start over - empty the tank use the advice gleaned from here.

Bottom line was I wanted to know how much oil is needed for an oil change - based on what I've read here - 9.5 to 10 quarts should do it. Using the stick - in my case, it's always taken 11 to 11.5 to get to the full mark on the stick - - - -even though the dash guage was registering full!. The book says a complete system fill requires 12.5 qts.

Since I don't have any mods to the oil system (no additional cooler, etc.) it just didn't make sense to me that the oil wouldn't show on the stick until overfull.

Live and Learn I say. Just didn't want to blow the seals and incur excessive Porsche education expenses.

Thanks,
Marshall
Old 03-28-2006, 05:03 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My guage is what I always use on my car. At a change after 9.5-10 Qts it reads about 1/2-3/4 the way up. I tried the stick and never can get a constant reading. I havent overfilled it yet using this method. I am sure you will hear others say dont so its what you feel comfortable with. This is my 3rd 911 and the only one i couldnt read the dipstick on!

Last edited by jimq; 03-28-2006 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth, when I had my oil changed at the Porsche dealer, the tech relied on the dash gauge when adding oil to the tank.....I know this because I witnessed him doing this.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

When you look at how the gauge works, with a float with 2 inches of travel, it makes sense that it will be more consistent than a 3 foot long stick going round corners !
I kind of view the stick as an emergency double check but wouldnt fill my motor based on what it said .

Just my $0.02

Geoff
Old 03-31-2006, 04:07 PM
mmccray
Rennlist Member

Again. Thanks for all the responses. I'm draining the oil tomorrow and starting fresh. Since my dash guage works, I'm going to use it as my guide and double check with the stick - but not fret over what the dipstick says (HEY, - I like the sound of that phrase!)

I plan to refill using no more than 9.5 to 10 quarts. We'll see how it goes. Just hope I haven't damaged anything already. Maybe I'll get lucky and she'll stop leaking so much.... well, I can hope can't I?

Thanks again for the advice!
Marshall
Old 03-31-2006, 04:08 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmccray
...Maybe I'll get lucky and she'll stop leaking so much.... well, I can hope can't I?...l
If a 911 isn't leaking, it is probably out of oil.

Marc

Quick Reply: Dumb Question Time.... Oil Change Related