Sponsored by:

Tiptronic Gear Shift Locked at "P, unable to shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 03:48 AM
Fortissimo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic Gear Shift Locked at "P, unable to shift

I have noticed the gear shift in my tiptronic behaving strangely in the past few months. I was not able shift the gear back from Neutral to Drive after I shifted to Neutral at traffic lights. I had to restart the engine and then I was able to shift again. This happened a few time in the past couple of months.

Today the strangest thing happened, I drove normally and parked my car for an hour. I started the engine but the gear was locked in "P" position, the top shift **** button was not locked but I just couldn't shift the gear. I restarted the engines many times and still could not shift the gear. When the engine was not on, I could shift the gear lever freely through all positions. I have owned this car for 5 years and never experienced gear problem

I tried starting in neutral for few times, gear still would not budge. Finally I started the car with gear in Neutral again and I was able to shift the gear. I gave my mechanic a call and he did not have a clue either, but he was real nice and I dropped the car at his place and he drove it back to the shop, and it's a Sunday morning.

I have searched through the forum, seems like my problem is indeed rare. The only thread that has something remotely similar suggested that it might be the shift cable that needs adjustment.

Can anyone please help?
Old 03-26-2006, 10:51 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cables...also there is a mechanical or electronic mechanism which locks in P until brake is pressed. That maybe fouling, but doesn't explain some of your other problems. Good news is Tip boxes are super cheap so if you've got a problem with the box...throw it out and buy another. But it sounds like its cable or electrc related. So also check all electric connections to box and fuses. I had my Tip go crazy once because the fuse/relay for the ABS came loose on a bumby street....go figure!Good luck.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:58 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Before you start with the cables, look at the SIMPLE fix that I had to do!

Check if the shift **** is pulled up see that the release button is even with the top of the ****, not recessed.

Just push down the **** on the shaft and then the release button will have enough room to retract sufficiently to release the catch and switch to R & P.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Fortissimo
Intermediate

Thanks for all your help. My mechanic is going through the problem stepwise. So far the brake release gear lock mechanism is functioning. There is some malalignment in the gear shfit position, but not significant. He will look into the electrical part, as suggested by Randy through his PM reply, a loose fuse #19 may cause tiptronic lock up, which was the cause in his 993 tiptronic lockup previously.
The gear box cable will be checked as well. I will update the progress later.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:16 AM
Fortissimo
Intermediate

Final Update

There is nothing wrong with my tiptronic gear box. The reason for the lockup is malpositioning of the gear lever. Fuse is changed just to be sure. But new problem now....Airbag warning comes on...sigh...
Such is life for p-car owner...maybe that's what the fun's all about.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:07 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least you aren't facing a monstrous gearbox repair bill - good news.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:07 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fortissimo
Final Update

There is nothing wrong with my tiptronic gear box. The reason for the lockup is malpositioning of the gear lever. Fuse is changed just to be sure. But new problem now....Airbag warning comes on...sigh...
Such is life for p-car owner...maybe that's what the fun's all about.
Just so I know if I ever have that problem was it just a matter of moving the gear *** up or down on the shifter as LouZ suggested ?
Old 03-30-2006, 12:14 AM
eddychan
Racer

Hi! Fortissimo,

I am sorry to hear that you have so many problems with your 964, I have mine for over 4 years now and am still very happy with it. It has proved to be very reliable except minor oil leak problem which I believe all Porsche has anyway. I have also in touch with many Porsche 964 owners here in Hong Kong and I would say most of them are happy with their p-cars. So do not feel too bad, once you back on the drive and you will know how much fun you are getting from your Porsche.

Cheers and happy motoring!

Eddy

91 C-2 tiptronic in Coral Red Metallic
Old 03-31-2006, 08:28 AM
Fortissimo
Intermediate

Got my car back today. Apparently, my mechanic also noted there was some slack in the gear box cable that caused some impingement, thus impeding the gear change. He adjusted the lenght and tension of the cable. I think the cable is the culprit rather than the malalignment of the shift position of the stick.

As for the Airbag light, some plug was loose along the curcuit, it was an easy fix.

I had a brief drive just now, the gear shift was snappy and crispy, feel like a new gearbox...how I miss my car

John: yes, it's a relief that the gear box ain't broke. This proves once again the tiptronic gearbox is bullet-proof.

Jim and LouZ: The gear **** is rock solid, and I did check it the first instant I had the problem. I changed mine to a Momo Automatico last year, it has a nice chrome release button that won't come loose like the old one.

Eddy: my car is not that problematic, for the past 5 years I did not have any disaster breakdown, only the usual worn parts that needed changing. I had some minor oil leak too 4 years ago and I bit the bullet and had my engine rebuilt. The engine barks and growls every morning I drive to work ever since. Most of my 964 buddies in Hong Kong have moved on, some got 993's, some went retro . I am planning a full rebuild later this yea....

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Gear Shift Locked at "P, unable to shift