Sponsored by:

UGH!!! Girl's neighbor hit my 964 with his truck door

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ditto that. In that order. Get your evidence in order. File with the police. Confront green truck guy with the police there. Be polite. It'll take care of itself.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:23 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Attention customers: PICTURES! That is all...

To be honest, I think I would have lost it. I would definitely call the cops and report it regardless....
Old 03-20-2006, 05:15 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. Thanks for the suggestions.

Like I tried to say before, I'm not trying to be a drama queen about this or anything since this is far from a "huge deal", but all of you can understand that it sucks none-the-less.

I intend to give the police a call once I'm at my girl's place again today after work, but green truck guy isn't going to be around. My girlfriend told me that she thinks he works second or third shift because of his "odd" hours.

I took pictures yesterday so hopefully they'll help with the police report, et cetera. I'm just afraid that this is not a big enough deal for them to do anything about. It's just a dent to them, but like I said in my first post if this guy went inside my car and stole a few hundred dollars cash (the least that it will cost to repair that dent/scrape properly), they'd bust him no questions asked.

I'll update soon.

-H
Old 03-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You're doing the right thing. Downplay it to the police, downplay it to green truck guy, for sure don't make a big deal of this. But in the end you need to do what's right and green truck guy needs to take responsibility for his actions.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:52 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Euromagination
Hi all. Thanks for the suggestions.

Like I tried to say before, I'm not trying to be a drama queen about this or anything since this is far from a "huge deal", but all of you can understand that it sucks none-the-less.

I intend to give the police a call once I'm at my girl's place again today after work, but green truck guy isn't going to be around. My girlfriend told me that she thinks he works second or third shift because of his "odd" hours.

I took pictures yesterday so hopefully they'll help with the police report, et cetera. I'm just afraid that this is not a big enough deal for them to do anything about. It's just a dent to them, but like I said in my first post if this guy went inside my car and stole a few hundred dollars cash (the least that it will cost to repair that dent/scrape properly), they'd bust him no questions asked.

I'll update soon.

-H
You should have reported it immediately. Why have you waited so long?! The longer you wait the harder it is going to be for you to recoup your $. If that was my car, I would have called the cops immediately and not stopped messing with it untill I knew it was going to be taken care of by somebdy other than me. It seems like its not that big of a deal to you so it may not be a big deal if you have to pay for the repair yourself.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LUISJR993
You should have reported it immediately. Why have you waited so long?! The longer you wait the harder it is going to be for you to recoup your $. If that was my car, I would have called the cops immediately and not stopped messing with it untill I knew it was going to be taken care of by somebdy other than me. It seems like its not that big of a deal to you so it may not be a big deal if you have to pay for the repair yourself.
I have waited so long because I live 30 miles from the town in which it happened. Unfortunately I can't be in two places at one time.
I didn't call the police right away because, like I said in the first post, he had already moved the truck and left so what good would that have done for me? Then I had a bunch of things lined up for the day so I had to leave and go home. I couldn't afford to wait around for this guy when I have other engagements.

At that point, I posted this on Rennlist to see what the consensus was...

It's a big deal to me, trust me... but at the same time, it's not like it's thousands of dollars worth of damage. I'm just trying to keep a level-head about it and I guess that my "not a big deal" attitude is just a way to keep myself from flipping out on this guy.

Thanks,
H
Old 03-20-2006, 07:47 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Got any pics of the damage to share?
Old 03-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stevepaa
Got any pics of the damage to share?
Yes. Here are a couple... The first picture of the two shows the scrape in just about actual size. The scrape and small dent are about the size of a nickel. Not too big, but still very noticable on my white paint...

Also, I just filled out a police report with the local police. They then went over to my girl's neighbor's place to talk to him and of course he denied everything. Even when the police officer brought up the fact that he has the ONLY green vehicle anywhere near this parking lot, and that the paint and rust marks from his POS truck match the scrape on my 911 perfectly--he still denied it!!!

Small claims court if anything from what I hear. What a crock of BS this is.

-H
Old 03-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Actually, let your insurance handle it. They will go after him if they are any good.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:21 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks to me like it will come off with wax. I know how you feel but by looking at the photo it looks like what I get on my white Pcar anytime I park in a busy lot. It is in a panel where a dentless repair may be possible with little cost. Of course it may look a lot worse in person so in that case hang the bastard
Old 03-21-2006, 10:49 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

You should be able to make the mark dissappear. All 16 year old cars bear some battle scars, and that one will not degrade your value. Try rubbing compound followed by polishing compound. That will remove the green paint and get the scar as clean as possible. If your paint is damaged, you can then fill with touch-up. As soon at that hardens, polish the new paint for a good match with the origial paint. I have places worse than that that even I can't find after the touch-up.

Sorry it had to happen. It could have been worse.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:36 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your porsche door is certainly stronger than his green truck. Since you have some damage anyway. Give that long 964 door a major swing and see what happens. If he happens to see it, just laugh and say.....I don't care either!

Honestly it probably was just an accident on his part. Most people consider these incidents as minor as they are not aware of the costly repairs a porsche may require. It can't hurt to ask him if he did it and would prefer to pay outside of insurance. Otherwise just give all the information and photos to your insurance company along with his license plate and let them deal with it. That is why we have insurance. If it is over $500 in damage then you are required by CA DMV to file a police report.

All that said if he is your GF's neighbor and you fear his reaction, just fix it and forget about it.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:11 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Euromagination
I stayed with my girl last night and I came out this morning to see a dime-sized dent and green paint mark on my white 964.
Don't do what I did,

Went to a Van Halen concert and a group of High Schoolers pulled up next to me in a Escalade, I noticed them and noted to them, it was nice to park next to someone that will respect my car.
Came out before them and saw a dime sized dent in my rear fender and saw Lapis blue paint on their rear door.
I went over and kneed their door roughly the same damage as they caused on my car.

I regret it to this day (WTH)
Old 03-22-2006, 01:39 AM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rbennett
Don't do what I did,

Went to a Van Halen concert and a group of High Schoolers pulled up next to me in a Escalade, I noticed them and noted to them, it was nice to park next to someone that will respect my car.
Came out before them and saw a dime sized dent in my rear fender and saw Lapis blue paint on their rear door.
I went over and kneed their door roughly the same damage as they caused on my car.

I regret it to this day (WTH)

Yeh, the only problem is that his truck is already a rusty POS so he doesn't really care. It seems that most of the time it's people with POS vehicles that don't pay as much attention (because hey, their car is already a piece! who cares, right?) and damage nice cars.

It sickens me for two reasons:
-Carelessness
-Clear lack of respect of the property (the worst part)

Even if I get out of a POS car and there's another POS car next to me, I'll still have the decency and respect to be careful. I just wish everyone was so careful.

That bastard.

I was checking the scrape out today and it feels kind of deep, but not down through all layers of paint/primer... i may be able to use rubbing compound or something, i dont know...

Just pisses me off because as old as this car is, it didn't have ONE dent on it until just now--aside from the small chips on the front bumper.

-H
Old 03-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Bangkokian
Instructor

I know exactly how you feel. I've always looked after my vehicles very well and try to avoid parking somewhere where there is a chance of getting a door ding, or otherwise. We baby our vehicle for years and then one day some careless SOB slams their door into our vehicle. It's bad enough when they feel a simple, sheepish sorry will reverse the damage, but when they scoff in this way, it is very hard to keep your cool.
I've had many times where I park a daily driver next to someone just getting in or out of their car and sit there keeping my eagle eyes on them to see what happens. Believe me I give them a real blast if they are careless.
Yes some may feel guys like me are fussy, thinking "cars are meant to be driven" but on the other hand I certainly respect and admire when I see someone look after their car. Just wish others could use commonsense and their brain to understand this and pay us a little bit of respect as well.
Sorry for carrying on, but I relate to and echo your feelings.

Quick Reply: UGH!!! Girl's neighbor hit my 964 with his truck door