Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying a 964 Targa...questions!! Very excited!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 02:08 AM
hajimoto
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a 964 Targa...questions!! Very excited!

Hi all,

I am looking at a '92 C2 Targa, and am very close to buying it. It has 145K miles on it. BUT, it has a fully rebuilt engine (the seller is a lot/mechanic), which was apparently done 9K miles ago, as well as a new clutch at that time. Body looks GREAT, interior is decent. Asking 24K for it.
How do I know the engine wasn't blown before the rebuild? Is 24K a good price for this car (Blue Book is 3K lower, BUT doesn't account for the rebuild). Also, how can I tell if the rebuild was done correctly? I've ordered Adrians book, but am still a touch green on it, and may be buying it this week...I don't think this car will stick around very long. Any purchasing advice would be much appreciated...hope to see you back on here with a nice new C2!
hajimoto
Old 03-17-2006, 02:27 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 608 Likes on 464 Posts

How exciting - buy it if you love it! I am a passionate car buyer - I've never had a PPI, and always fear someone will buy the car I like before I can if I did all kinds of "thinking about it"!! It can get you in trouble, but I'd rather have the car I want!

Have you driven the car? A car with that many miles, I'd want to drive around on rough roads to see if the suspension is crap - although the mechanicals might be good, the body and suspension could be worn out.

You'll never know if the engine was blown other than asking the previous owner, and looking at receipts for what was changed.

Good luck! Try to resist the excitement and passion - it's what gets me every time I buy a 911!! I can't resist!
Old 03-17-2006, 09:48 AM
last toy
Burning Brakes

I would at least ask to talk to the shop that rebuilt the engine to get some details. $24K for 145K miles seems like a lot but can't tell without pictures. Figure another $2000 into it after you buy it first year. Check the AC, rear engine blower for winding, hot air output from dashboerd vents. Garrett's right about the suspension. If it is still original, replacement or upgrade will get you for about $2000 installed. Good luck
Old 03-17-2006, 11:05 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Like they say above thats a lot of miles on the body and parts. Check for rust bubbles around the window frames. Its only to expensive if its more then you are willing to pay!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:42 PM
hajimoto
Cruisin'

wow thanks for the quick responses. Much appreciated.

The shop that is selling it is the shop that did the rebuild, so I'll for sure check the records on that. Good point about suspension, thanks. Also, he is offering me a 6 month warranty, 50/50 on parts. This guy seems very gunuine, real enthusiast. For weeks, he wouldn't sell me anything on his lot...when I asked about a particular car, he'd say, nah you don't want that one, and send me home. He's got a ton of '80s 911's. But, he is a car salesman. So either he's the best salesman on the planet, or he's just bein nice. Probably a combo... but... not sure what the mix is.
hajimoto
Old 03-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nihonji ?
Old 03-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

$24,000 for a '92 Targa with 140k on it? Wow, that's a lot, even for a later car. Keep in mind that my car might bring $24k for a '90 with 33,000 miles on it in concours condition. So, you are paying quite the premium for this rebuilt motor.

Most of these high mileage cars are selling for at or under $20,000 and some dip into the $15,000 to $18,000 range for cars with higher mileage like this one. So, the engine rebuild is adding a premium of about $6000-$9000 to this car. You have to judge if it's worth it to you.

You may be able to find a much lower mileage car for $24k.

Good Luck,

Jay
90 964

Quick Reply: buying a 964 Targa...questions!! Very excited!