Sponsored by:

Porsche GT3 (AJ-USA) Steering Wheel Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006 | 10:48 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Porsche GT3 (AJ-USA) Steering Wheel Installation

Along with the recent turn signal assembly replacement, I also replaced the steering wheel.

After speaking with my insurance agent, I decided against the Momo steering wheel I had already bought and selected the Porsche GT Sport steering wheel from AJ-USA as it has an airbag.

I wanted to replace the original steering wheel as I found the driving position uncomfortable at the track. As I am 6' 1" (185 cm) my right knuckles always hit my right knee. I was after a slightly smaller diameter wheel that sat closer to me so I could move the seat back a bit and get more head-room clearance for my helmet.

The install of the AJ-USA wheel was easy but after it was in, I was very disappiointed. Although it has a thick adapter hub, it actually sat futher away from me as the wheel itself was not very dished.

In addition, I found that the knuckles of my right hand hit the stalk controls now as I turned the wheel (I do not have huge hands or swollen knuckles either ).

Contacting AJ-USA was fruitless as they did not sell a spacer for this wheel and did not sell the hubs separately. Cruising the FVD web site looking for ways to spend money, I found the exect same hub for sale (p/n 100.498.170.180) so bought one on the spot.

I then proceeded to try to fit the new hub as a spacer....no dice - it did not fit. With a little Dremel work to the inner edge of the back, however, it soon sat perfectly. I then drilled out the bolt threads all the way through the new hub using my drill press (1/4" drill bit). I fitted the new (second) hub and secured it using M6 x 70 bolts that passed through the new hub into the original and tightened to 7 fl-lb (using lock washers and Blue Lok-tite too).

One of the horn wires had to be extended while the other did not and the airbag wire was just long enough.

I am happy with the new setup as I can sit much more comfortably. I have yet to try it but I am hoping that it works. I can still reach the stalk controls easily but will also be less likely to accidently turn on the wipe washers while cruising around the track (like I did a few times last year).

Marc
p.s. One gauge is missing as it went to NH Speedometer for repair of cracked glass and the wood stick is holding the brake pedal so brake fluid does not leak all over the floor while I have the calipers off.
Attached Images      
Old 03-06-2006 | 12:02 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Marc... Very nice work! You have a very light touch... But then I guess you have to!
Old 03-06-2006 | 04:47 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Marc, nice work.
I do have a question. Do you think there'll be issues with airbag deployment? I mean you've moved the airbag closer to you by a fair amount.
Old 03-06-2006 | 07:38 AM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Looks like you did a nice job, but I have to say that this is one part of the car that I would not hack together in any way. Its function is far too critical.
Old 03-06-2006 | 09:53 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
Marc, nice work.
I do have a question. Do you think there'll be issues with airbag deployment? I mean you've moved the airbag closer to you by a fair amount.
I think it would be the same as sliding your seat 5 cm closer to the wheel. Besides, with this setup I can actually move my seat back by 5 cm so my position relative to the airbag/wheel will be the same.

Originally Posted by RedRS
Looks like you did a nice job, but I have to say that this is one part of the car that I would not hack together in any way. Its function is far too critical.
"Hack" is such an ugly word.

Besides, with the high-grade bolts I used, Lok-tite, and lock washers, I think it is held on tighter than the stock setup.

My inspiration was JW Hubbers setup which seems to have worked very well for him for years.

Marc
Old 03-06-2006 | 10:07 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Marc,
Is this the new generation airbags that arent as strong or new old stock? i would think that the new generation would be better plus ours are at the rated life span about now.
Old 03-06-2006 | 11:07 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Marc,

I'm also curious, do you plan to replace the passenger side bag?

Cheers,
Dave
Old 03-06-2006 | 11:10 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Jim - yes, it is a brand new airbag (2005 manufacture date stamped). The age of the current one was another reason for the swap.

Dave - excellent question! I had not even thought of that. Now I'll have to check out prices.

Marc
edt: Argh! US$1225 for the passenger airbag?? I'm gonna really have think about that one!
Old 03-06-2006 | 11:34 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Yeah, me too! I've been thinking about it for a while, but haven't had the courage to check the price.

How is it that a new steering wheel, with air bag, is $750, but a new air bag is $1225?!

Edit: Maybe I'll just put the indemnification papers in the glove box. Easy access for the passengers!
Old 03-06-2006 | 01:16 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

I'm actually prepping the process of replacing the airbags. That steering wheel looks great but I'm not sure I want to have a double hub setup. New airbags at the dealer are a lot more than $1225, I got a quote for $1600. Porsche recommends replacing it every 10-15 years.
One of the idiosyncracies of porsche is that silly driving position for people with long arms and shorter legs. After driving the 997, I realized how much out of out of position I am in the 964.

Last edited by Eggplant Cab; 03-06-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2006 | 02:04 PM
StanAE86
Intermediate

Hi Marc & all,

I'm having the same problems. I'm 6'0" and once I get the seat at the right place, my arms are just a smudge too outstretched to "optimal" comfort at the track...in addition to having hit the windshield wiper twice. =)

I'm on the search for a spacer for the OEM wheel. In your adventures...have you seen or heard of any such thing? I've been told that the thread on the steering column, after a spacer, would not be long enough to hold the steering wheel anymore. I love your new wheel, but $800 is a tad out of my budget at the moment

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Porsche GT3 (AJ-USA) Steering Wheel Installation