Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy an OE or an OEM Windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 08:22 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Should I buy an OE or an OEM Windshield?

Now that I know the difference between OE and OEM (thanks very much to those who replied to my post) should I be looking to purchase an OE (by Porsche) replacement windshield for my 91 C4 or is an OEM (similar, but perhaps not quite as good as Porsche) windshield sufficient; such as this one at Pelican Parts.

Note that I want to be sure to get the antenna wire in the glass.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well windshields are not created equal. I remember my dad got a replacement glass for an old buick we had. It had so many waves it could distort things to any shape you wanted depending on which section you looked through. The one on my car has it to a very small degree, but not enough to be annoying. I don't know if its factory or not. Some don't have the darker top part to cut the sun.

I'd insist on seeing it before buying, or at least making sure I could return it if I didnt like it.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:06 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

There is OE (from the car manufacturer), OEM (original equipment manufacturer), and after market (made by others, not the original equipment manufacturer). OE and OEM are essentially the same for most items. Aftermarket items tend to be less expensive, and sometimes much lower in quality. I put a new aftermarket windsheild in my previous 911, which has the same glass as the 964. I battled water leaks until I finally ripped it out an put in a junkyard OE windshield. No more problems.

Stay away from after market glass. OE or OEM will work fine.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Tinwan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation OEM Windscreen

I replaced mine a few years ago. Buy both the OEM screen with the correct upper tint band (applicable to your market) to keep the original look and the OEM gasket as some aftermarket parts are either under/over size which will not work correctly. Also use the correct OEM sealant to prevent water retention & eventual rust. If you have Adrian's book, it gives you all the correct part numbers.
Cheers, Mark

Quick Reply: Should I buy an OE or an OEM Windshield?