Dual distributor line up question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dual distributor line up question

Prior to taking the dual distributor apart I took some pictures and made some pencil mark as to the positions of the 2ndary rotor compare to the primary... Well after much scrubbing I erased the pencil mark. So the only I have to go on is the original picture prior to disassembly.

Just want to check with the board before I put this thing back to my car, the part I have question about is the position of te 2ndary rotor. From the original picture it looks like the rotor is timed for ahead. In other word when the primary is in top dead center ready to fire the #1 spark plug, it looks like the 2ndary is already firing. Can anyone confirm that's the original design spec on the 2ndary rotor?

In any case, after I put it back together the 2ndary rotor is lining up just like the primary ready to fire on the TDC position.

Here are some pictures

Here is prior to taking it apart, notice the 2ndary notch is just a little pass the distributor cap screw post

Here is the assembled picture, now both the primary and 2ndary line up exact with the distributor cap screw post

Thanks
Old 03-05-2006, 12:48 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 469 Posts

Hey Robin - you're not at TDC in those pics! Don't install it yet!!

In your second picture, the true alignment point is the small protrusion that is just to the left of your current position. If you rotated, in your bottom picture, the rotors clockwise about 20 degrees, you'd then be at the correct position for TDC.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:42 PM
botoo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This page may help you:
http://www.type-911.co.uk/images/gen...eplacement.htm
Old 03-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the reply, my eyes must have been bad or something, because when I set the crank to TDC I swear the rotors were pointing at the cap mounting screw hole location instead of the hash mark on the distributor body.

So I guess I will line up the rotors to the hash mark and then put them in the car that way then.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2006, 05:16 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

There are also two hash marks inside the distributor base (towards the bottom) to help align the shafts when you replace the belt.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 03-05-2006 at 06:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Dual distributor line up question