Sponsored by:

Blower motor making NASTY sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower motor making NASTY sound

Starting earlier today, when I turn my heat on in the car, the blower motor makes a nasty noise like it's stressed out. Sounds sort of like someone is shaking a penny around really fast in a soda can in the engine compartment.

For clarity, the noise doesn't happen as long as I have the temperature set to "cold" (the blue dot), but any other time it does.

Does anyone know the problem and how I can fix it? I was going to take the blower motor out just now when I got home, but I may wait until tomorrow to get dirty.

Thanks,
Harry
Old 03-03-2006, 08:10 PM
greenjt
Racer

Mine started making a loud screeching noise. Took it out and found lot's O' play inside the housing. WD-40 quieted it down for a short term fix. A replacement off Ebay ended up my longer term fix.

My understanding is that these motors can't be repaired.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:37 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

pellican tech section has a link that describes the replacement. The motor is a 993 motor and cost about $350. The bearings go the motor. Wd 40 may help for a while or see if you can spray a bearing lubricant that is a llittle more thicker.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:58 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you're in Princeton, rather than San Diego, or you'd never notice...

Short term fixes might buy you time until you get back to the warmth (didn't I see somewhere you're planning to return to San Diego soon?) Otherwise, budget soon for a new blower. If the motor seizes, other bad things can happen...
Old 03-04-2006, 01:38 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

or you can replace it with a delete pipe for about 90.00 from Gert
it's not really needed
Old 03-04-2006, 02:24 AM
Hambisa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine started making that horrible noise last year, and I was lucky enough to get a replacement right on e-Bay for $50. It is a 993 unit and there are DIY write-ups on how to swap them; it's not a difficult job. Even back here in SD, you're going to need that blower working, unless you do the RS delete pipe as Cupcar#12 suggests
Good luck, Harry
Old 03-04-2006, 11:40 AM
greenjt
Racer

When i was looking to replace mine, I think I read somewhere that the delete pipe limits your ability for effective defrost function on the windshield. I would do a search for blower motor threads.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hambisa
Mine started making that horrible noise last year, and I was lucky enough to get a replacement right on e-Bay for $50. It is a 993 unit and there are DIY write-ups on how to swap them; it's not a difficult job. Even back here in SD, you're going to need that blower working, unless you do the RS delete pipe as Cupcar#12 suggests
Good luck, Harry
Hambisa, Nice eBay pick up. Maybe I'll see if I can score one for a price like that!

Yeh, that blower motor can be outta there in under two minutes. I've had to take it off several times for maintenance and it's just two or three bolts, a couple wiring harness clips and it's off. Pretty straight-forward. I'm actually also looking to see if anyone has taken one apart and just replaced the bearings. ??? I haven't taken a close look at the shell of the blower motot yet, but I was thinking maybe I can replace the bearings in it myself like I did when I took my spoiler motors apart to replace those bearings in there. They work as new to this day...

Cupcar, thank you for your RS delete suggestion. Excuse my ignorance but I have no clue what this is though I'm assuming I just won't have much, if any, airflow. Sounds cool though and I'm interested in learning. What are the pros and cons of this and how is it that the blower motor is not needed? Will I just not get heat anymore or...?

As of now I can only drive the car with no heat and since I'm in NJ where it's only 25 degrees out right now, I obviously won't be driving it until my 964 blower motor problem is fixed. Sad indeed. I usually can't go more than a day or two without driving it...

Thanks,
Harry
Old 03-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

I just went out and took the blower motor assembly off of the car and I'm considering taking it apart... hmm... the shell is held together by ten screws. doesn't look like much can go wrong.

After taking it apart, I turned the blower motor fan by hand and it squeaks terribly. Doesn't sound good at all. Trying to take it apart even more... almost looks like it's not worth taking apart any more!

I'm looking at it and it seems to look like it has "brakes" that are rubbing? (Finding out how little I know about motors like this)

Will take pictures

Last edited by Euromagination; 03-04-2006 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Update
Old 03-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

In a 964 there is the rear blower motor and the front blower motors which are located under the cowl - the rear is a helper motor which moves air better to the front motors. combined it is a very good system. when you eliminate the rear motor you are in essence putting all the work load on the front motors - They can do a pretty good job and you will still have your deforst etc. abet at a slightly reduced flow rate. - to me the trade off was worth it - i did mine for weight reasons not because the motor died
here is the part http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p93100.htm
the price has gone up to 145 euro's though
Old 03-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cupcar#12
In a 964 there is the rear blower motor and the front blower motors which are located under the cowl - the rear is a helper motor which moves air better to the front motors. combined it is a very good system. when you eliminate the rear motor you are in essence putting all the work load on the front motors - They can do a pretty good job and you will still have your deforst etc. abet at a slightly reduced flow rate. - to me the trade off was worth it - i did mine for weight reasons not because the motor died
here is the part http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p93100.htm
the price has gone up to 145 euro's though
$175 to bypass a fan with a pipe that will never break again, save weight, and it will rid my engine bay of that little resistor that has been known to overload and cause fires. Sounds good so far.

Tough, yet important question (to me)... by what percentage will the airflow drop? An exact third or is this helper motor not as strong (or stronger) than the other two up front?

I never really use my heat at "full blast", and I think my defrost as of now is downright annoying because of how strong and loud it is when it's switched on.. Would be interested in this bypass pipe for sure as long as flow doesn't get cut too much.

-harry

Last edited by Euromagination; 03-04-2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Also, has anyone had any experience with the carbon fiber bypass tubes from Pelican? I see they're only $200.

7.9 ounces for a tube rather than 15 pounds for a blower assembly sounds nice, but is that particular carbon fiber good and epoxied properly? I'm cautious of buying CF if I don't know where it's coming from and if it has no references.

-harry
Old 03-05-2006, 12:34 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Euromagination
Tough, yet important question (to me)... by what percentage will the airflow drop? An exact third or is this helper motor not as strong (or stronger) than the other two up front?
You can remove the rear blower motor and the hamster wheel from inside the plastic housing and then reinstall the housing, everything is held in place with a bunch of Torx T15 screws. The volume of air coming into the cabin will be almost exactly the same as you'd have with the CUP bypass pipe.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:03 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 600 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Euromagination
7.9 ounces for a tube rather than 15 pounds for a blower assembly sounds nice
The blower is more like 8 pounds...
Old 03-05-2006, 05:31 AM
Hambisa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you install the by-pass pipe/tube, don't you also have to do some finagling with the temp sensor? I remember reading something about that in aprevious thread or one of the DIY sites.

Quick Reply: Blower motor making NASTY sound