Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just not runnin right? Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 03:12 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just not runnin right? Suggestions?

Forgive me for the long read this turned out to be....
At 58,000 miles I was due for the 60M service, so I sent my car ahead of me down here to Florida to what I call a real fancy pants shop. I was able to visit the place first, beautiful new building, couple 964's, a hand full of newer and older Pcars, Bimmers, Ferrari's, benz's etc. My immediate thought was this is gonna be too expensive for me, but what the heck, shouldn't need to throw any more $ at it for a while... The verbal estimate of $1000-$1200 for the full 60M service seemed fair, we skimmed over the services included to be sure we were on the same page, we were, so I ran with it. My car ran fine when I shipped it. First call was informing of the 'bad hall sensor' I ran a thread here, despite reservations, I gave the go ahead for a new distributor (keep in mind I was 1200 miles away)... Next, the HVAC problem (AC and heat never worked, figured nows a good of time as any), prognosis was the CCU is shot.. "We installed another one from a 993 and everything worked perfect" Look for my thread on the CCU and you'll see that couldn't be anything but BS. My point being this shop has now dropped a bunch of points with me. Yesterday I took the car to another shop for what we here diagnosed as probably a bad fan bearing, guy opens the hood, points at the belt, checks the tension with his finger and says "thats what probably caused it".. ARRRGH!!!! My total bill out their door was close to $3000 which included seven hours polishing it!!! Another $469 likely wasted.....

Okay, enough venting, just wanted the set the setting!

As I started to say, the car ran great before. Now, it seems to shift differently, stays in high gears longer (at slower speeds). Down here I have to drive in a lot of 30mph areas unfortunately, and this is what happens that I never had happening before; At say 30mph in 4th gear, maybe 1000 rpm, if I try to give it a litlle gas (less than enough to kick down a gear) it'll stumble, even backfire. Overall, it does not seem to have the power it had and I noticed the gas milage is under 20mpg all the time (not that it really matters to me, but it's a fact or indicator). When I first got it back I immediately noticed the car shook at idle in gear (full stop), never did that before. I took it back, suggested timing was off (my wild guess), and was informed that's impossible... They had the Hammer hooked to it, everything is normal... suggested I run some Techtron in it..... I did that too, in fact nothing but Chevron super since. Seems the shaking at idle is better but that's about it. They ask me to bring it back, but about the last thing I want to do is let these guys have my car and another shot at my wallet, any suggestions or ideas what the problem could be?
Old 02-24-2006, 03:35 PM
OUR9II
Instructor

Sorry for your troubles. Others will certainly chime in with additional troubleshooting tips, but I would suggest a quick check of a few things: 1. Did any of the ignition components get wet from the wash job? 2. Loose or misdirected ignition cables? 3. Bad gas?

Out of curiosity, I did a search on "does a tiptronic learn" and found several interesting threads on tips. Maybe the shift issue is related to the 30mph trips.

Sorry I'm not much help, I hope that you resolve this without another trip to that mechanic. I'll be watching and will be interested to hear what others can contribute.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:54 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I usually put mine in 3 when driving around town if not Tipping it. Starts in first and stays in the power band better. I never get better then 15-18 mpg in town only driving. Going like you are in slow traffic it is staying in grandmaw Tip program mode.
As said above maybe they put a plug wire on the wrong place or maybe the connectors to the coils arent seated tight. Another thought is they screwed up a plug wire swapping the dist and taking the valve covers off. I would be in there raising hell myself.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:03 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Originally Posted by jimq
I would be in there raising hell myself.
Hey Jim.. Trust me, I am using great restraint.

The milage numbers I am quoting are during some highway runs, to PBI and down to Miami a couple times.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:09 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

any chance the O2 sensor got messed up or unconnected while they were in there and it is running in open loop cycle and to rich?
I get about 25 on trips to Miami so you are a bit low.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:12 PM
loot87
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you used a credit card, just back charge them and go somewhere you can trust to make it right.
I'm a huge fan of letting Visa be my heavy.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:17 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you checked the oil level?

What you describe sounds a lot like the problems I had after a shop over filled my oil and my Idle Stability Valve (ISV) got fouled.

After cleaning it up, and doing a DME reset, things settled down nicely.

It may be a long shot, but it seems worth checking.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 02-25-2006, 12:23 AM
CHASE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to also suggest the DME reset. This only takes a few minutes and you have a reason to take a spirited drive to reset the tip mode. The amount of money you spent, they should be more than willing to take 15 minutes to double check there work. Good luck Snowbird !
Old 02-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a lawyer ?
I'd write a letter to the state agency that oversees car repair shops .
I'd be makeing a stink if I was you .
They might owe you more than you paid them .
Old 02-27-2006, 12:21 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Appreciate everyones input. I will first get the car running correctly, then pursue 'Fancy Pants' in my own way. The DME would have reset when the 2nd shop had the battery disconnected for 3 hours, correct?
Old 02-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"disconnected for 3 hours"
Ya thats a reset and then some .

"it'll stumble, even backfire." = way rich or bad spark or burnt valve .

"I immediately noticed the car shook at idle in gear" = missfire , bad spark .

"it does not seem to have the power it had" = Not running on all cylinders . Missfire .

"gas milage is under 20mpg all the time" dead cylinder or cylinders from missfires , gas being injected but not burnt . Pure wasted gas , burning up your exhaust system .

"I gave the go ahead for a new distributor"
= they replaced a good distributor and got the install all screwed up = missfire = 1 or more dead cylinders.

"My point being this shop has now dropped a bunch of points with me."
They bent you over the greasey barrel , gave you a bad case of clap , stole your shoes and wallet , then sent you on your way . The longer you wait to go after them , the harder it will be to nail them back . Then can say that the car broke after it was repaired by them , and that all the other people who worked on it caused the problems .

And as always , if you send me a round trip ticket from CA to FL , I will gladly have a look see at your car and boats . And for you I will even cut bait .
Old 03-10-2006, 09:30 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Did you ever get your running problems sorted ? Any outcome with the crap shop?

Quick Reply: Just not runnin right? Suggestions?