Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman V 964

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:30 PM
TJN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kgorman, almost the 964 color is also right on! vk sorry pix too large to download, if interested, pls log on to 911 porsche turbo club website.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:58 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 964 vs cayman

it looks huge next to the 964 what does it look like next to a 911. In pictures by itself the cayman is very nice but now....
Old 03-02-2006, 12:26 AM
bzh on the loose
Advanced

even if i love my 964, we got to admit than the cayman will run circle around the 964 on track...may be not the RS though.

But since i dont spend my time on track i absolutely don't care ... I don't see many people twisting their neck at the view of a boxster compared to the Hysteria(!) provoked by a nice and shiny 964...I think the cayman is a very ggod car (still got to drive it though) but it will lack the exclusivity...sorry it is more the rarity than classical Porsche have.

besides all this, I really like the 3/4 rear view of the new 2 SEATER ONLY, too bad you also got the profile view with that "hump" on the roof line, above the driver... looks like the wind screen is a bit too short...

to resume... bland vs caracter!
Old 03-02-2006, 01:08 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my 911, but I think you guys are kidding yourselves when you talk about the 'quality' of the older 911s. Are we all talking about the same cars that on average have had 40,000 - 80,000 USD to keep them on the road in good shape for 15 years?

I doubt porsche could get away with building that amount of 'quality' these days.

Could you imagine if they released the cayman and they all needed new clutches in 18 months? Or poured out oil on new garage floors? How about if they had a tendency for the twin distributor belts to fail and destroy the engine in the first 3 years?

Its a different time, and the raw edge we and other air cooled porsche owners love is no longer saleable to a public that demands their sports cars to have zero shop time, fold down baby seats, and cup holders.

Kirk
p.s. I know I am gonna get some hate mail from this comment!
Old 03-02-2006, 02:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Old 03-02-2006, 03:13 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KirkF
Are we all talking about the same cars that on average have had 40,000 - 80,000 USD to keep them on the road in good shape for 15 years?
I doubt porsche could get away with building that amount of 'quality' these days.
Its a different time, and the raw edge we and other air cooled porsche owners love is no longer saleable to a public that demands their sports cars to have zero shop time, fold down baby seats, and cup holders.
While I do agree with your assessment of modern cars and how the market has changed ( I think when the NSX came out, it changed the super car market forever, but it was just before its time).
Still, I doubt I'd have spent $40k on my C2 Cab to keep it on the road. Every piece is still original equipment and I count maybe $18k of service and parts/fluids in the last 12 years. $1500 a year maintenance is fantastic for a luxury car. Plus it still has 30-35% of its value. I hope to hell my new C2S will keep that record, but with all the electronics, I doubt it.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:52 AM
Christer
Race Car

Eggplant...ditto....I mean Kirk F its your opinion but when you have modern 911's way under half the age of our cars going for the same money....? People are scared to buy a 996 with 70K miles because you can't really rebuild the engine - it has to be replaced. When you consider a rebuild on a 964 will cost around £6K at most (if its all standard stuff) and will last a long time I think you get the picture. a 996 owner who has upgraded their car every 2 years since 1997 will have spent a lot more.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:01 AM
Seight
Instructor

I agree with Christer and Eggplant. Mooty you are right about if it breaks twice it's gone, so that's why I drive a Toyota Landcruiser which is just about the most bullet proof reliable car on the planet. But it STILL costs more to run and service than my 964....

Cheers
Alex
Old 03-02-2006, 07:24 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

[COLOR=Black]
Originally Posted by KirkF

Hey Kirk...
Growl, growl, bark, bark... But that’s it!!.. If your Porsche 911/964, were problem free you’d get bored with it, you’d throw it away, and probably burn the license plates... "But, it’s like a Woman"... You never get bored with the continuously hard to get, complicated, never knowing really for sure where you’re at,.... uhhh,.. Woman..... uhhh,.. Car ..... uhhh,.. Sorry..... uhhh..... See what I mean.....

As we say in the South of Somewhere... "If it’s too easy, you don’t get off"... And, I don't mean a boat or a train... And besides Kirk, what would you do with your money, can’t take it with you... And if you didn’t have a Porsche 911/964, we wouldn’t even be here, 6000 miles between us talking about, Hot Women, Hot Cars, Sex and Rock’n Roll...

"And that’s why we're Porschists!!.. Otherwise we’d be sleeping and dreaming about them instead... Now that would be boring!!"..

"Just a little fun from here",
Marc...

PS. I was looking at your photographs a few days ago. Hope all is well in your world...
Soon it's Spring, Winter is almost bye-bye... Love the Bikes...

Last edited by MARC A. 964 C4; 03-02-2006 at 09:25 AM. Reason: edit
Old 03-02-2006, 10:28 AM
last toy
Burning Brakes

I agree with Kirk. Our cars cost about $65,000 US in 1990 which is about $85,000 in 2006 dollars taking into consideration the eurodollar value. That's about what a new 911 goes for today in the US. So in reality, a 1990 and a 2005 cost about the same dollars. If the new breed of Porsche technology, quality and reliability isn't any better than in 1990, then Porsche will not survive despite its cult following. Our cars will be priceless as collector cars or great track toys. The Cayman is the right direction for Porsche. Not sure if their upcoming 4 door coop will be.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:00 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Originally Posted by last toy
I agree with Kirk.
Hey Don...
And can you imagine if someone could supply the technology of year 2032 somehow today... They’d probably string him up and call him a terrorist... Or even worse a member of the, Radical Extreme Left... "Kill him, Kill him!!".. "He’s a threat to society!!"..

As I’ve often said, let me live in the world of yesterday. The music was better, the food was better, driving was better, and the "Undomesticated Porsche 911/964" was better...

What's gone is no longer, today's almost finished, and maybe tomorrow will never come... But at least that Porsche 911/964 from yesterday, will turn you on now... And now is the most important time...

The only thing that wasn’t better at the time was me...
"I mature with age"...

From here with a laugh.
The Oldies but Goodies,
Marc...

Last edited by MARC A. 964 C4; 03-02-2006 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Change of winds...
Old 03-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

I agree with Kirk. Our cars cost about $65,000 US in 1990 which is about $85,000 in 2006 dollars taking into consideration the eurodollar value. That's about what a new 911 goes for today in the US. So in reality, a 1990 and a 2005 cost about the same dollars. If the new breed of Porsche technology, quality and reliability isn't any better than in 1990, then Porsche will not survive despite its cult following. Our cars will be priceless as collector cars or great track toys.
Oh I read that he meant we threw in another 40-80k to keep it running. And that is not true (unless you count those who upgrade engines etc). Sorry if I misread.
I'm actually glad that Porsche isn't on the cutting edge of development. I mean I can't wait for a semi-automatic gearbox (that tiptronic is just not good enough) but even the SMG from BMW isn't perfect yet...although the Audi is probably closer to perfection. This allows them to watch what others are doing and implement proven technology vs running into reliability problems. I mean it took them how many years to go water cooled?
I drove a cayman yesterday while waiting for my car at the dealership. It's very nice. Drives like a sports car and fast too. My 964 is more visceral and you feel speed sooner. If the numbers are what you are after, the cayman is plenty fast. A 964 is more edgy, loutish (I wince at that statement compared to a 930 or SC) and the technology is 80s. It took me almost an hour to learn how to work the NAV/CD/sound system/sport mode/PSM/PASM inside out on my 997 C2S. And what about that homelink system? And that Nav voice is unnerving but very convenient. My 964 needs 1 minute of orientation. Then you turn the key and drive. No map required and definitely no cup holder.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:36 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Hey eggplant. I read Kirk's comment the same way. I didn't agree with the $40 to $80k maintenance cost either,if true, my car with be in the classifed ads now. But his point is right-on that a $85k car should not have to be reworked to be user- friendly or be limited to weekend runs because they are fragile. I love my C4 but I would trade it in the next minute for a GT3 if I had a deal. Then I probably would go back to a 964 turbo after the I got over the GT3 rush.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Hey eggplant. I read Kirk's comment the same way. I didn't agree with the $40 to $80k maintenance cost either,if true, my car with be in the classifed ads now. But his point is right-on that a $85k car should not have to be reworked to be user- friendly or be limited to weekend runs because they are fragile. I love my C4 but I would trade it in the next minute for a GT3 if I had a deal. Then I probably would go back to a 964 turbo after the I got over the GT3 rush.
You want a taste of the GT3, try a 997 C2S in sport mode. That ride is jarring... even more than the GT3. If I were to go turbo, I'd go 993 or wait for the 997. The 997 chassis is outstanding and 500hp would be very nice in this capable body. It'd be as close to a 959 as I'd like.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:04 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

You're right. I had a '95 993 cab and loved it. It could do no wrong. I would go for a 993 turbo or the 997 C2S. That wide body is awesome for sure.

Quick Reply: Cayman V 964