Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C2 in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 12:58 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having made the decision and picked up a C4, because I couldn't let my quattro background die; I truthfully would consider the C2 option. Hindsight being 20/20 what I figured out is that in Chicago, as soon as there's a hint of possible snow - the amount of salt distributed skyrockets. Before the 911 I never thought about it, but now when there's inches of salt on the ground I take my 4Rnr to save the 911 sheet metal.

My point is that if you are a 2-car kind guy; the C2 will cover you in 98% of your driving up here in the MidWest. Those days where there's too much ice or too much salt - well take option-B. Please don't misunderstand, I salivate at the thought of getting the C4 out in the fluffy stuff to play with my Nokian RSi's; but the winters lately have been lackluster enough that I have come to recognize that 2wd is definitely adequate.

If I were to upgrade to say a 996 plaftorm I'd be sorely tempted to go C2 vs. C4 unless costs were equal. Just my $0.02.

Rob in Chicago,
'90 C4 w/160k miles
Old 02-22-2006, 01:14 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

I'm finishing my first winter in a C4 and couldn't be more pleased with it's foul weather capabilities. I live in an area that gets a good amount of snow with what is seemingly little plow service. My house is on a hill and we live in a hilly area. I've driven the car over mountain passes, loaded with snow, crud and ice and have never felt like I was lacking either traction, braking or comfort.

I'm entering my 30th year of driving, took drivers ed in the winter at age 14, in the snow and have driven in snow all my life. I've owned and driven just about every style of drive system engineered over the last 30 years including a RX7, Jeep Grand Cherokee, SHO and 4WD Ford truck. The C4 is just as easy to drive in the winter conditions as any of the 'more' traditional style of winter car.

I have Pirelli Nero M&S Tires on D90s and have had zero issues with traction or braking. I can pull off from an icy stop on hills without so much as spinning the tires. Driven with a fine hand/foot, this car simply goes where you point it with no fuss. I drive it daily regardless of the weather and will continue to drive the it as mcuh as possible.

The biggest issue I've had is a worn busing on the rear blower motor. The motor itself is fine, the dang .98 busing that the shaft turns in was the problem. I plan on taking the motor someplace to see if they repair the bushing so I'd have a spare. Seems kind of silly though as the first one last 14 years.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:23 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Rob,

How would you compare the Audio Quattro to the C4? Both winter and summer, if you please.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-22-2006, 03:30 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

I drive my C2 year round because I can't get enough of the car or leave it alone long enough. I don't purposely take it out if I know it will snow (my daily driver has a great AWD system for that), but I have been caught up in some snow on the way home from work, weather surprises while traveling, et cetera...

From November to April I have Dunlop Winter Sport M2's on the car and I think with those, the C2 actually does well. Sure it's only rear wheel drive but I think it's all about tire compound when you're dealing with light snows. Also, it has a lot of weight over the drive wheels since the motor is in the rear, so that helps for traction.
"Winter Only" tires, while fairly pricey, make a huge difference and many people simply don't realize the huge benefits. I'd be willing to say my C2 gets better traction in the snow than most family sedans with all-season tires, but I take it very easy around corners just because I know that once the back end comes out with the C2, there's no turning back.

I'd say aside from the tires, the main concern when driving the C2 in snow is the salt. I religiously wash my car as soon as I come home from driving in the snow...opening the engine lid and cleaning the motor and distributor caps, et cetera...that usually takes another 30 minutes out of my day. This is the reason why 95% of the time I drive my other car in bad weather...I don't mind leaving it dirty sometimes.

Ground clearance is of course an issue with snowy 964 driving too, so I'd only drive it in the winter if I knew FOR SURE that the roads you'll be on are plowed well.

Just my opinion on it...

-Harry
Old 02-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Euromagination
"Winter Only" tires, while fairly pricey, make a huge difference and many people simply don't realize the huge benefits. I'd be willing to say my C2 gets better traction in the snow than most family sedans with all-season tires...
It's funny you should mention that because I thought the same thing after driving a Boxster with M3s for two winters and then going to my '05 Subaru, but with "comfort" all season tires on it. The Subie has so much push...too much...with the all season tires. I may invest in proper winter tires for it next season (although Julie is driving it now and she's fine with it).

One thing I'm not sure of is if I'll have a winter car or not. In my thoughts for "the next Pcar", I'm looking at Boxsters (again), 964s or maybe a 3.2 Carrera. For any of those cars, one of the two I drive now will have to go. If I get the Boxster, the Impreza could go. If I get the 964, I may get rid of the early 911 and keep the Impreza as a winter car, but would consider keeping the early car if I could. If I get the 3.2 Carrera, the early car will go for sure. (But that almost leaves me in the same boat as I'm in now, so I'm not so sure about that direction.)
Old 02-23-2006, 01:14 PM
grankin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RallyDogRacing
Having made the decision and picked up a C4, because I couldn't let my quattro background die; I truthfully would consider the C2 option. Hindsight being 20/20 what I figured out is that in Chicago, as soon as there's a hint of possible snow - the amount of salt distributed skyrockets. Before the 911 I never thought about it, but now when there's inches of salt on the ground I take my 4Rnr to save the 911 sheet metal.

My point is that if you are a 2-car kind guy; the C2 will cover you in 98% of your driving up here in the MidWest. Those days where there's too much ice or too much salt - well take option-B. Please don't misunderstand, I salivate at the thought of getting the C4 out in the fluffy stuff to play with my Nokian RSi's; but the winters lately have been lackluster enough that I have come to recognize that 2wd is definitely adequate.

If I were to upgrade to say a 996 plaftorm I'd be sorely tempted to go C2 vs. C4 unless costs were equal. Just my $0.02.

Rob in Chicago,
'90 C4 w/160k miles
I'd have bought me a C4 if I could have found one as nice (and as affordable) as my C2 - mostly because I have had only AWD cars for 20 years now, and am used to having to be pretty brutal to break 'em loose in the winter. I kept my '91 Galant VR4 (it now has to live outside; the Porsche always gets the garage) for those nasty days when there's more salt on the roads than there is in the sea.

Quick Reply: C2 in winter?