Sponsored by:

High Mileage C4s?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 03:51 AM
Sumday
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mileage C4s?

There are some higher mileage C4s on the market these days. What is the highest mileage you've heard of on a C4? What kinds of problems have shown up with these cars as they get more miles?

I've done a search and found some posts regarding the seal on the input shaft for the front differential. PDAS issues and the high pressure brake system seem a little scary to a potential owner.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:15 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has done 165K miles.

Since I've owned it (it had done 120K miles when I bought it 4.5 years ago, and had just had a top end rebuild) :

I had problems with the brakes - but that was actually just the accelerometer sticking.
I've had no other problem with the brakes or the PDAS. I have been told at every service that there is a slight weep from the diff but that unless it gets worse I should ignore it.

I think generally the 4WD is pretty reliable - I don't think you should worry about a C4 being more unreliable than a C2 just because of the differences.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I agree with DaveK. My car has 210K miles on it. In general the car is very reliable. The problems I've had have been the same as the C2's (distributor belt, dual mass flywheel, minor oil leaks, etc).

My advice is that do a thorough pre-purchase inspection. Neither verson of 964's are cheap to repair.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rob,
That is impressive, 210K miles! Where in Nashua do you live? Have you ever attended a PCA-NCR event before? Check out out web page if you haven't and come on out to an event! Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 02-21-2006, 03:27 PM
DerkBarrington
Instructor

mine has around 264,000 miles and still running strong. I can confirm that the ABS pump and steering rack were replaced just prior to my purchase. Since I owned it I have replaced both front blower fans, repaired rust around the windshield, replace ac condensor fan, both resistors, installed non faded tail lights and new fog lights. Everything works as it should, the interior is mint!
Old 02-21-2006, 04:08 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

225K on my odo and the only thing that needs work right now is the front blowers. Take care of your car and it'll take care of you!
Mine is an 89 so no worries about the DMFW (it doesn't have one!) and it has the distributor vent kit. As far as the engine it had the "factory" rebuild early on in its life as it was one of the "gasketless" engines that were supposedly more prone to leaking.

Current annoyances (not problems per se) are poor idle in sub-zero weather and a very intermittent PDAS dash light problem.

The body is in surprisingly good shape except for the rear tailight housings that are badly corroded. (need to remove tailight lenses to see it, and it's pretty bad actually)

As far as reliability it has only let me down once in a heavy rainstorm. Traced it to exposed connections on the O2 sensor - since that's been replaced it's been good to me.

Frank
Old 02-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Sten
Pro

Hmmm... 175.000 miles on mine. Replacement parts? Full engine rebuild, clutch, tin work, discs, wheel bearings, PDAS pump, PDAS control unit, new springs/shocks, track control arm bushes, distributor drive belt, distributor caps, plug leads, oil cooler, oil pipes, oil pressure sender, blower motor resistor, an accelerometer. Cosmetic work - post accident respray, oil tank, cup mirrors, new lights/reflectors, new windscreen (bullseyed). New lower tappet covers on the way courtesy of group buy. Just the interior to do now! Have I spent a lot of cash? Yes, but offset by the low purchase price of the car (£8,000) and a man's got to have a hobby..... at least I know it's right. Doesn't stop me collecting spares though - a crankshaft, 2 gearboxes (don't ask!), another PDAS control unit and pump, PDAS/ABS relays, speedo, ABS sensors, ignition switch without looking in the garage. My 97 BMW 318 has done 152,000 miles and not needed anything major - but it doesn't do track days or 160 mph either..
Barry
Old 02-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Sumday
Intermediate

Wow good to here from some members with high mileage C4s. How often do you guys change your differential fluids? Do you always take it to someone with a Hammer to do the brake bleeding (I take it you have to have a Hammer)?

Quick Reply: High Mileage C4s?