Sponsored by:

Speeding

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006 | 04:23 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SNOWBIRD
One of my cloesest friends just turned 50, as a gift his salesmanager & i Bought him (and ourselves) a ticket for the 40 mile super speedway school. Really looking forward to it, that ougtta get it out of my system for a while!
http://nascar.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...77stockcar.com
Better be carefull mentioning NASCAR on here the "purest" will castrate you
That would be really cool if they had that at Daytona. I did the R Petty driving experience there last year and had a blast even tho I wasnt at the wheel. Man that wall goes by fast when you are 2' off of it!
Old 02-25-2006 | 12:40 AM
Bangkokian
Instructor

All risks aside, doesn't the feeling of speed really feel GREAT ?!?! Even at 50 I still enjoy it once in a while and heck, I might not have that long to live anyway! ;-)
Old 02-25-2006 | 01:11 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Originally Posted by SNOWBIRD
One of my cloesest friends just turned 50, as a gift his salesmanager & i Bought him (and ourselves) a ticket for the 40 mile super speedway school. Really looking forward to it, that ougtta get it out of my system for a while!
http://nascar.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...77stockcar.com
Hey Snowbird, sounds great! Have fun and enjoy it... Wish I was there with you... Just sit back and let it all come to you. Just like handling a boat in rough seas... Go with the waves and not against them... You’ll be a natural!!.. Give us some feed back...
From here,
Marc...
Old 02-25-2006 | 09:02 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

I can see that moderate speeding (85 or even 90 MPH) on the American interstate is safe as it is only slightly faster then the average speed of traffic. If you have an impact at that speed you will probably still be alive even if slighly twisted and broken. However at speeds of 140MPH or greater regardless of whether it is a mechanical failure, an animal, an object or just poor driving skill the chances of surviving an impact in a stock car with 3 point belts are slim. Most of us that do a lot of track driving and hit those speeds also have safety equipment in our cars that up the chance of surviving an impact at those speeds. So while it may be thrilling to take a PCar up to 140MPH on a deserted interstate there is a huge risk invlolved (and I dont mean the risk of a speeding ticket).
Old 02-26-2006 | 04:40 AM
Devils_son
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brian_77_3.6
there is a huge risk invlolved
Not to say that it is 100% safe (noting is), but I wouldn't call it a huge risk. If the situation allows for it (good weather, not much traffic), chances that you will get an accident are very, very slim. If you get involved in an accident you might not make it, however: I would rather hit an armco with 150 mph then a tree with 50 mph...
Old 02-26-2006 | 12:19 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

There is a picture floating around here where a bird went through a windshield at high speed. I guess there are a lot of things that we don't think of when we speed excessively... The testosterone gets the better of us I suspect. I have had deer jump out in front of me while driving in other cars. I couldn't imagine what would happen at 140MPH in my Porsche. (I guess I could, I just don't want to!) I'm also thinking about the age of my tires now. They are probably 5 - 6 years old. (I'm almost due for a change all the way around.)

Brian raises some excellent points.
Old 02-26-2006 | 12:49 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Brian_77_3.6
I can see that moderate speeding (85 or even 90 MPH) on the American interstate is safe as it is only slightly faster then the average speed of traffic. If you have an impact at that speed you will probably still be alive even if slighly twisted and broken. However at speeds of 140MPH or greater regardless of whether it is a mechanical failure, an animal, an object or just poor driving skill the chances of surviving an impact in a stock car with 3 point belts are slim. Most of us that do a lot of track driving and hit those speeds also have safety equipment in our cars that up the chance of surviving an impact at those speeds. So while it may be thrilling to take a PCar up to 140MPH on a deserted interstate there is a huge risk invlolved (and I dont mean the risk of a speeding ticket).
I think you're right, but you're also blowing it out of proportion. In a properly maintained Pcar, it's not really a problem. Look at the autobahn in Germany, yes there are bad crashes there, but still FEWER than on American highways mile for mile. That's a fact.
Old 02-26-2006 | 12:54 PM
MARC A. 964 C4

Originally Posted by pcar964
I think you're right, but you're also blowing it out of proportion. In a properly maintained Pcar, it's not really a problem. Look at the autobahn in Germany, yes there are bad crashes there, but still FEWER than on American highways mile for mile. That's a fact.
Besides the obvious reasons, that I tried to explain on this thread...
I’ll say it again... "Practice makes perfect". I think it makes sense..

I think Kramer would agree with that... Ask him...

From here,
Marc
Old 02-26-2006 | 03:50 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

"However at speeds of 140MPH or greater regardless of whether it is a mechanical failure, an animal, an object or just poor driving skill the chances of surviving an impact in a stock car with 3 point belts are slim."
Funny thing , I can home build myself an airplane , put almost any motor in it and go as fast as I want . Home built "Experimental" aircraft are far far more dangerous , yet legal . The person who would tell you that driving a 964 at 140 is to much of a danger might say that no one should fly .
I have an 82 Vanagon , the front safety cage crumple zone consists of my ankles , shin bones and thigh bones . A crash at 55mph in the vanagon is a very bad idea . If I had a choice , 140 in a 964 doesn't seem as bad an idea as 55 in the vanagon . Unfortunately , the people who set the rules say that I'm a good guy and safe enough when I drive my vanagon at 70mph and a criminal and a danger to myself and others when I drive my 964 at 100. If I were to be caught doing 140 in the 964 on a flat straight unlimited visabilaty section of I5 with no one within miles of my car , I would be heavaly fined if not dumped into jail . If I were to be seen flying over that same section of road at 280mph in my home build Experimental , I would be congratulated on my skill .
Old 02-26-2006 | 05:02 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Indycam... What type of experimental plane do you have?
Old 02-26-2006 | 05:50 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

I have no plane , I'm sorry if I made it seem that I did . Someday maybe , I do think and make planes/plans in my head . If you like experimentals , http://www.ar-5.com/ , is a must see .
Old 02-26-2006 | 05:59 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Indycam... That is an excellent site! Thanks for posting it. I dream of being able to have a garage big enough to build all the stuff I want. A Porsche, a couple of American Muscle Cars and an airplane. The AR-5 looks like an interesting project. It sort of has a Sukhoi flavor to it. And of course... Fast is always nice.
Old 02-26-2006 | 06:02 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Did you see this ? Isn't he asking about your air dam ?
Help identifying front bumper
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/256363-help-identifying-front-bumper.html
Old 02-26-2006 | 06:21 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Indycam... Thanks... I hadn't seen that yet. I just answered him.
Old 02-26-2006 | 09:13 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pcar964
Look at the autobahn in Germany, yes there are bad crashes there, but still FEWER than on American highways mile for mile. That's a fact.
That is my point.

It is not the p-car car or the p-car driver - with a fine car like a Porsche one does not have to worry about mechanical failure and with a Porsche driver that is paying attention (like all of us here do) one does not have to worry about their attention drifting.

I worry about the other driver's on the road who are more interested in applying their lipstick or drinking their morning coffee than their driving.

Marc

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 02-27-2006 at 03:09 PM. Reason: edited for clarity

Quick Reply: Speeding