Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple Green - what dilutions???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Simple Green - what dilutions???

Over the years of reading Rennlist, I've been astonished at the number of people who advocate Simple Green as their cleaner of choice - including the stunning results shown by pete000 recently.

What I would like to know is what dilutions people use to get these stunning results. I've managed to get some Simple Green from the UK distributor and can't wait to get going, but the stuff they supply (as, I assume they do in the US) is a concentrate which needs to be diluted - the question is, how much.

The information they supply is not great on detail - it just suggests a 10% mix for some things and 20% for other stuff. What I'd like to know is what you guys use.

Best regards

Dave
Old 02-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

I've never added water .
Old 02-09-2006, 12:10 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Dave, I have been using a 1:3 Simple Green to Water mixture for my cleaning. It seems to require a lot of scrubbing, and I am not getting as good results as pete though. I am going to try some undiluted for the real dirty stuff.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:11 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

i much prefer The Big Orange over Simple Green...try it
Old 02-09-2006, 01:37 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Dave,

Where did you get this from, I couldn't find anywhere over here...

kevin
Old 02-09-2006, 01:40 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default simple green

My friends dad used simple green on his BMW to clean the engine and it discolored the plastic and made some of it start cracking over a period of time.

you are going to laugh but there use to be this stuff called awesome and it was sold thru TV, now they sell it at the dollar store and it works just like the name AWESOME it will clean anything and it cuts thru grease really good. there is a number on the back of the bottle, 1 800 482 2875 made in California. This is the best all around cleaner that I have used Period. for 1 dollar you have to give it a try, you will be buying more I bet.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by warmfuzzies
Dave,

Where did you get this from, I couldn't find anywhere over here...

kevin
Kevin,

You're gonna hate me for this - but it's at www.simplegreen.co.uk!!!

Regards,

Dave
Old 02-09-2006, 02:09 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

D'oh...to coin a phrase.....

kevin.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:39 PM
mamsp
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree with dutchcrunch.. Awesome works great!..... And amazingly its only a buck! The awesome spot carpet cleaner works great too.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:53 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

If you are carefull and don't let it sit on pure alloy parts and plastic parts for a really long time before rinsing it off. Work quickly in those areas.

I would be carefull on using it on wheels. Fuchs could get discolored as well as clear coated light alloy wheels such as BBS. It is not like wheel acid but it is pretty strong stuff.

I just use the stuff on the underside of my car. So far it is one of the few cleaners that can actually cut the Cosmoline off. I used to use a product called GUNK Liquid mixed with a wax and silcon remover called Prepsol bothe are products banned in CA. This made me swithch to the Simple Green.

Where the Cosmoline baked on the engine it is really tough to get off. And requires a more powerfull chimical.

Wear rubber gloves whenyour cleaning. Old Clothes help too you will get really dirty when doing the under carrage clean up.

I used a host of Kitchen brushes and scrubbers from the grocery store, some work better than others.

I will have to try the Big orange product...Good Luck and have fun...
Old 02-10-2006, 04:30 PM
a964man
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, sorry to sound negative but I bought some simple green and didn’t find it that good at all, even using it neat, in the end I bought some Tar and Glue remover (5 liters for £9.00) from a car valeting supplier, works a treat on just about anything.

Cheers Andrew
Old 02-26-2006, 04:40 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Dave,

Did you ever get any results from this stuff? If so can you give us the run down..

TIA

Kevin
Old 02-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Kevin,

I tried it last year but, as I said in the original post, I'd only ever tried with a 10:1 solution. At that dilution it wasn't mind blowing and it was that which prompted me to ask the question given some of the spectacular results I'd seen here.

I've got tons of it left so I had in mind to give it another try when the weather gets a bit more conducive - and I'll be sure to let you know how I get on.

Regards

Dave
Old 02-26-2006, 07:27 PM
TJN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile simple green

hey guys, if any of you have access to an air compressor all you need to do is place newspapers under the engine compartment, use a siphon sprayer and force mineral spirits all over the engine, it won't damage or discolor any thing! the air pressure negates the elbow grease and takes all the fun out of it! tjn/vk

Quick Reply: Simple Green - what dilutions???