Corroded AC Comp + Off Color Gas Door

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 01:00 AM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Corroded AC Comp + Off Color Gas Door

Hello -

Looking at purchasing a '94 964, which seems spotless with the exception of two items:

1. The AC compressor is completely covered in a layer of white, dusty, "crystallized" corrosion. The rest of the engine bay is quite clean. (Admittedly my '01 Audi A4 had similar corrosion on the alternator body, even though I'd owned the car since new and never driven it north of Texas.)

2. The gas tank filler door is slightly off-color from the rest of the car (it's white)...but I can't find any evidence at all of prior repaint anywhere.

Just curious if either of these two items should throw up a warning light...

Thanks,

Will
Old 02-09-2006, 07:55 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

The AC compressor was likely damaged by overly harsh engine cleaning. Probably no real harm, but I would rub it down with WD-40 to and a Scotchbrite pad to remove the corrosion and let the aluminum passivate again.

Does the fuel door color match the roof, or does the fender match the roof? A color shift is due to a respray. It is difficult to imagine the fuel door needed a repaint and the fender did not, but that is possible. Otherwise, I would conclude that fender had been replaced. Possibly the car has been resprayed, but they forgot the fuel door and put that back with original paint.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:55 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Doesnt sound like a deal breaker to me. Be sure the airconditioning works. My gas fill also is slightly off color if I look real close. Welcome
Old 02-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It is possible that the fuel filler door was replaced without a fender/wing replacement.

If someone opened it too far (and broke it) or leaned on it too hard to close it (and bent it) then it would need replacement and respray.

If that is all you can find wrong, that car is in good shape for 15 years old!

Marc
p.s. and Welcome - post some pictures if you can and we'll all throw our $0.02 in as to where you need to spend your hard earned money.

Quick Reply: Corroded AC Comp + Off Color Gas Door