Sponsored by:

Oil Level Gauge Readings

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Bangkokian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Level Gauge Readings

Please tell me what my 93 C2's oil level gauge should act like. The other day I got in, started the engine and left for a drive. Almost immediately I noticed that the gauge barely moved from "empty" however after a couple kilometers and a warm engine, the gauge moved up to the almost "full" level and stayed there until I got back home.
Perhaps I'm overly sensitive that something might be wrong with my new baby, but on the other hand want to know that my oil level is normal when ever I go out.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

PS
It sure felt great to go 210 km/hr on the way home, especially knowing there was more gas pedal travel available. something I haven't felt for long time. hopefully the wife won't get jealous of the feelings the speed gave.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sawaadee BKK
The oil level gauge is only to be looked at when the motor is fully warmed , at idle and the car level .
Other than that , do not look at it for anything .
When I go on a trip , after the car is warmed up and I've stopped for something , I check the guage to see if the oil level is the same as before or if its droping .
I like to run with just enough oil to get the neddle into the bottom of the ok range when the motor is warmed up . To much oil is bad . If you ever see the oil level way high on the guage , you might want to remove some oil .
Old 02-06-2006, 01:30 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the group! Posted any pictures for us yet
Oh yea. What Indy said
Old 02-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Look at his old posts , he snuck in a photo .
Old 02-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

I didn't think you could find the space to do 130mph / 210 kph in Thailand .
Can I drive your car when I'm in BKK ?
Old 02-06-2006, 01:49 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Peter, Indy's explanation is right on. It's recommended that you also frequently check the oil dip stick to make sure your guage is giving you good information. Do keep an eye on the oil temp guage and oil pressure to make sure it is in normal operating range under stress conditions. However, you stated you were concerned there may be something wrong and yet you drove 210 km or 125mph home. Not sure where you live but besides driving that fast on a public highway, you definitely don't want to run your P-car like that if you think something is wrong. If there is a problem, It just will get worse, much much worse.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:58 AM
Bangkokian
Instructor

Thanks everybody. Because the car is new to me, as is Porsche, confidence and readings of guages will become second nature soon. I agree fully that if there is something wrong I shouldn't run the car hard, but I did actually stop shortly after the car was warm and check the dipstick, hence my wonder/worry that the gauge was defective. As for driving fast, in Bangkok it is very difficult to drive fast (see picture), so you have to get out. Some if the expressways, motorways have good open sections so that's when you can let 'er rip! We also have one "luxury" over here and that is you are rarely/never stopped for speeding. Besides, I don't think they'll be able to catch me now! (just kidding).

Indycam,

When are you coming over? Then we can talk about you taking 'er out for a rip then! ;-) Anyway, you can see in one of the pics, that the guage came up, perhaps to high as mentioned.

PS
The car is in excellent orginal shape with 31,xxx kms, very well maintained at the Porsche dealer only. Quite a good find in my opinion, even if the Thai Porsche prices are a good double to triple to what they are in the US!!
Attached Images   
Old 02-09-2006, 03:05 AM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the gauge peaked like that while you are moving, something is wrong. Check dipstick when warm, level, and parked and idling. If you were stopped at the time of the picture, I would just remove a little oil so the gauge reads a little above halfway.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:11 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I agree with Steve. If you are moving, the gauge should be at the bottom of the red (takes some getting used to!). If you were stationary, the gauge shouldn't have been anymore than half way.

It's worth removing a little oil, because it will screw up your idle. At my last service the car came back with slightly too much oil in it. Even though I know the consequences, I figured I could get away with it - 1 month later I had to clean the ISV and remove a bit of oil.........
Old 02-09-2006, 07:41 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Your gage is reading way too high. Mine never gets out of the red unless I am at idle, and the highest it ever gets is half way (where your gas gage is reading is about right). Dave and others are correct that you will slosh oil into your engine air intake and cause problems if you don't drain some oil.

It is poor design to have a gage reading in the red zone for most driving conditions. Older 911s had useful oil level gages. I don't know how Porsche got it so far off on the 964. I suspect it was related to moving the tank from behind the rear wheel well to in front of the wheel well. That shifted significant weight forward, and got the tank out of harm's way from the tire blast and potential gravel projectiles.

I almost never pull the dip stick. This is another example of a good design on the older 911s gone wrong on the 964. The dip stick long and a chore to put back properly. As long as the oil level gage moves out of the red zone during warm idle, I figure the oil level is fine. I read the stick when I change the oil, but have never pulled it between changes. I trust the gage because if it failed, I would likely not see the expected move out of the red zone at idle.

Don't get me wrong on the 964 criticism. Overall, it is a better car than any 911 built before, and some argue, since.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

I've noticed my guage to be fairly accurate. With the engine warm and idling, the guage almost exactly reflects the oil level on the dipstick (between the min & max lines.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:43 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If the ground wire is off or loose on the sensor it will read pegged also. Had that problem on my old 911.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:13 AM
DaveK
Race Car

It will be more pegged though. Mine was broken when I got the car and it goes above max - more than in the photo.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Hiya BKKian
"When are you coming over? Then we can talk about you taking 'er out for a rip then! "
Soon , but I can not drive your car , the stick is on the other side from what is normal for me . I'm sure it would be embarrassing for me to learn to shift with the left hand in a 964 in BKK . It could also be very bad for your beautifull car .

I really like the way the oil gauge works in my 964 . Its very sensitive , from top to botom of the readout is a small amount of oil , I can see the oil level dropping , drop by drop . I think it is much better than the old oil gauges from years past .

You need to get oil out , you have to much oil in the thing . If the gauge is that high driveing or at idle , you got to much oil . Drain some out soon .
Old 02-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Slappy
Racer

There is no substitute for the dipstick ... oil gauges, as far as I am concerned, are a vestigial organ on a car.

Quick Reply: Oil Level Gauge Readings