Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"964 Prices"...How much has been spent since...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 02:45 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jerry, I bought a 92 C2 in 2001 for ~$24K with 120K miles. Price now would be around $16. I then rebuilt the engine myself ~$8K. So I am probably now just a little over resale. But I plan to keep it for another 120K miles.

Just added some cheap upgrades. Daytime running lights, $5 for a relay. Rear fog lights, $35 for harness, switch and lights.
Up next is headlight washers $150. Side turn signal lights just in front of doors, ~$150. Then a basket handle rear brake ~$200
Old 01-30-2006, 02:58 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Steve, could you please share your informatoin on the rear fog light installatoin. I'd love to add them, but thought it would be about a $500 tail light ***'y change.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-30-2006, 03:45 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Quite a list Marc A., please allow me to ask some questions on some of the items.
5394€..80,000 klm service and parts, purchase TUV control, etc,
This is the biggest service but still it should only go up to 1200 euro. Lammertink, where Arjan now works, has a great site with a lot of fixed prices for maintenance, brakes, clutches etc. Was there so much additional work to be done? Lammertink
3200€..brake callipers/disc/sensors/protect/etc,
Why where those calipers changed? They looked pretty good and they are not that hard or expensive to rebuild.
It all seems expensive but in the end, as you say, you have a great car in very good condition which is what you wanted in the first place. Did you go public (in the family) with those numbers? I would get the stick.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:21 PM
A4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Ok your really bringing me down man....if these cars are so great why am i gonna have to spend an extra 40000 dollars on top of the purchase cost to have a nice one???? My dad has a BMW M3 that has 265000 miles on it and has never spent one penny on the car, i may have to go in that direction.

JERRY
WOW, I'm with Jerry on this one. I'm about to have a PPI on a '91 C4,95K miles and pretty well maintained but with original suspension and brakes. Had the stearing rack and clutch done but will need tires soon and oil consumption has gone from 1 qt every 3K miles to 1qrt every 1500 miles in a 6 year/30K mile span. No I wonder what my first year of $$ layout will be? I need a crystal ball.

Maybe I should jump back on that '88 Carrera I passed on..........
Old 01-30-2006, 05:58 PM
McJohn
Racer

Think of it this way though ... which is better?

1. Buy a 964 for a given capital amount of pounds/dollars, and spend another revenue amount on it over a couple of years as a hobby. Then sell the car, and hopefully get back most of the capital you put into it, while accepting that the revenue you spent on it was part of the fun of owning a classic Porsche.

2. Put a shed load of pound/dollars into buying a new BMW / Merc / Audi / Whatever. Drive it for a couple of years, trade it in, weep as half a shed load of pounds/dollars dissapears into the ether with absolutely nothing to show for it. Then repeat the process. DUH?

Face it folks ... cars cost money, whichever way you slice it!

McJohn
Old 01-30-2006, 06:11 PM
A4
Instructor

Spent $30K for a Audi A4 1.8T loaded. Added a chip, exhaust, a few differnt mods here and there, drove it for 5 years, paid it off in 3, started with 9 miles on the clock and ended with 125K. Same clutch, just added brakes, tires and an occational wheel bearing or two. I guess I averaged a total of $5K per year for a daily driver for 5 years.

Traded it in when I got my 330 sedan and had to fight to get $8K for it. I would have got maybe $10-$11K for it on the street but it it wouldn't have been worth the trouble since my airbag light was on and it needed tires bad.

I let the first owner take the depreciation hit on the 330 and bought it CPO.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:24 PM
greenjt
Racer

My first year of ownership just came to an end 2 weeks ago. in that time i have managed to spend approximately $1485 over 4,500 miles. Included in that are the following:

Adrian's Book and Porsche PET CD
Alignment
Two rear tires
Valve check/adjustment
New plugs
A/C conversion to r134
2 oil changes
new rack boots
brake & slave bleed
New air and fuel filters
Front and rear hood shocks
New Coils and leads
Pressure sender o-ring
New spoiler curtain
Replaced cassette storage with bin
Painted calipers yellow
Used blower motor and housing (Ebay)
Four CV boots and SS Brake Lines (preventative, have parts, will install sometime soon)

slowly getting the car in shape...

I obviously did all of this DIY, with the exception of the alignment, tires, and part of the A/C upgrade. Part of the reason i bought this car was to finally learn something about how these things we drive around operate.

Last edited by greenjt; 01-30-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:03 PM
bikeaddict
Intermediate

I've only spent maybe $400 in two years of ownership including two oil changes and repairing my oil thermostat but that said I do my own work and only drive the car 2K miles a year. It just had it's 80K service when I bought it.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These are some big numbers!

I paid $19k and put $1,100 in it the first year, $1 per mile.

When it wakes up from it's winter nap, I'll spend $1,000 on oil line work. That's life.

10's of $1,000??? If you want to go fast, you'll pay fast. Why not buy a 964 for the street and put the other $20-$40 in a race car?
Old 01-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Ok, my list:

Spending from 5/2004 (92300 miles)

Re-time the cabriolet top + brake fluid flush = $278
Replace hi beam / low beam switch = $565
Cigarette lighter = $54
Bonnet release plastic piece = $16
Front Lloyds mats = $158
Spare DME relay = $20
Adrian's book = $77
90k mile service, replace oil return tubes, rebuild thermostat, replace moulding = $3635
Fix airbag / seatbelt light = $258
Secondary bypass pipe = $215
Steve Wong chip = $280
17" twist wheels with Continental Sport contact 2 = $1820
4-way seat switch = $126
Oil change = $189
Replace windshield interior pillar moldings = $620
Replace oil pressure sending switch + replace horns = $814
Center console storage container = $26
Stainless brake lines + brake fluid = $87
Bilstein HD = $674
H&R springs = $275
Porsche tire inflator = $34
Alignment and corner balance = $484
Nakamichi CD-400, Focals + Alpine amp + Car Audio Innovations sub + install = $3000

1/30/06 = 98500 miles

Total = $13705, plus miscellaneous cleaning supplies and who knows what else.

$$ per mile of ownership = $2.21 (excluding gasoline)

Last edited by Jeremy Pinsly; 02-01-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:01 PM
Ms Kita
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for sharing Guys, I thought I was just buying really "needie" vehicles. I have spent a good amount of money on my 2 Porsche as well. There are moments when I just say "WOW". I have no real DIY skills so the Porsche mechanic and I are on pretty good terms with each other, he repairs, I pay, he upgrades, I pay, he maintains, I pay....
Old 01-31-2006, 01:37 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Originally Posted by kris
Quite a list Marc A., please allow me to ask some questions on some of the items.
This is the biggest service but still it should only go up to 1200 euro. Lammertink, where Arjan now works, has a great site with a lot of fixed prices for maintenance, brakes, clutches etc. Was there so much additional work to be done? Lammertink
Why where those calipers changed? They looked pretty good and they are not that hard or expensive to rebuild.
It all seems expensive but in the end, as you say, you have a great car in very good condition which is what you wanted in the first place. Did you go public (in the family) with those numbers? I would get the stick.
Hey Kris no problem,
Straight questions, straight answers...
Included in the that 80,000 km service price that I listed was an extensive purchase control, replacement of all the plastic lenses, fog lights, a Becker sat/nav radio, TUV controls, German registration fees and various bits and pieces, but all Porsche related. I brought the car in on Monday and Thursday evening it was finished... This was the bottom line of my first bill...

I had initially ordered a complete set of Red 993 calipers and new drilled discs, the protective disc covers, sensors and braiding, and all the bits and pieces... The entire new brake system... Porsche AG then put a stop to the installation because they would not accept the responsibility... The brake fluid reservoir is evidently too small and with the inevitable usage of the disc pads evidently there’s not enough braking force at speed to stop... The Carrera 4 is more than special... And so are its brakes... Yes I had made a big mistake!!.. And yet I thought I had all the answers before hand...(I should add that Jason Andreas, helped me get out of this problem by correctly giving me the right info on parts and parts numbers, thanks again J.A.)... So Porsche AG/Porsche Antibes/Marc Agnew made a deal... I start over and go original spec and in return they would refund my mistake, and start over with the parts... Porsche Antibes did the complete A-Z on my upgrade to new brakes, €3200 ... Black is beautiful!!.. And another upgrade to a "new" is now finished and checked off the list...

Thanks for asking Kris, take care,
Marc.

PS. If you want 4 (87,000kms) Porsche Black C4 calipers (like new) for €800... (pls let me know)...

Last edited by MARC A. 964 C4; 01-31-2006 at 06:28 AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:26 AM
morganb
Instructor

Some of the above is scary. Makes my 964 turbo seem really cheap to run. 2.5 Years and about 8000 KM's have cost me HK$ 17600 (US$ 2260) including annual inspections here. This does not include, rego, insurance and car care like waxes etc.

As a NA reference my 3.2 has cost about twice that in 5 years and about 20,000 Km's
Old 01-31-2006, 06:40 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Once you get hooked though, you'll get sucked down that slippery slope of upgrades and mods. like the rest of us.
Marc
Or addicted to "Eccentricities a la Condition Concurs".. Another dangerous disease, the angle of slope has the same direction leading downhill.. Only this one is on the other side of the mountain..
Hold on tight because the adrenalins will be pushing!!.. A Porsche 911/964 is recommended to only the strongest and most dedicated petrol heads on planet Earth..

But, isn’t it fantastic to be one.. Whatever the cost.. These are the moments of our life.. They will last with us forever!!..

GENTLEMEN!! START YOUR ENGINES!!..
Old 01-31-2006, 06:48 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

To the Contemplators and Old Timers(!?!?)...

My own words somewhere above define my character to a tee. Without any effort at all, easily one half or more of the "964 Prices, how much has been spent since", numbers that I listed could be removed. I put them there... I took that path or degree of Porsche Passion... I could have taken another direction, a far less expensive road...

I am the first one to admit that I’ve over done it and over spent on my Porsche 911/964...But, its like anything else, it all depends how far you want to go. I’m retired, the Big 60 is on the horizon, apart from my wife and son, all of my family is deceased, I had a serious operation three years ago, and at present I’m recovering from a domestic accident of last September. I’ve worked hard for what I own today and I’ve been told that I can’t take my money with me so I invest in my Passion, and that’s my Porsche 911/964!!.. There is nothing else that turns me on day after day... I love Old Classic cars... And now I own a Porsche 911/964!!.. And you can't get any better!!..

Until the day I say, "Ciao, au revoir, Auf Wiedersehn or good-bye", I hope to grow old graciously with Alpina... It’s a simple as that...

Please don’t be afraid of buying an Air-Cooled Porsche 911, if you love Sports cars as we all do at rennlist.com, you will never regret your purchase, chances are life is ahead of you to choose your own path or degree of Porsche Passion... So enjoy it while you can... And, you will... Go for it!!..

From the heart, and good luck...
Marc.

PS.. Contemplators check my site out below, there’s more there...

PSS.24 hours later... I’m over the shock and after having slept the night in my, Tangerine Orange Porsche Pyjamas, I have no regrets... As a mater of fact I’m going out for a drive and then I'll wash and maybe polish and treat the interior to some oils... Ahhh, it’s going to be a great day!!..

Quick Reply: "964 Prices"...How much has been spent since...