Sponsored by:

Carrera 4 handling

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 09:37 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera 4 handling

I just read the post on handling with great interest and wondering about C4 handling. Among those who own or have driven them, is there any quirky about the AWD? My P-car mechanic says there is and odd sensation when the diff sends a different proportion of power to the wheels, a sensation that was eliminated in the 993.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:59 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

I own a 1991 C4 but have not driven the 993 so I can't compare the two. I don't find the handling to be quirky. It is different then a rear drive only car but I can't say quirky. It is sure footed, stable and if anything a tad boring in it's capabilities. Frankly, it self recovers from most dumb footed manuevers with such ease that I'm constantly surprised at how easy the car is to drive.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
IIRC, rennlist user 'garrett376' tracks/races his C4 regularly.
Why not send him a PM and ask....if he doesn't see this thread.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:08 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Adrian Crawford does a pretty popular buyers guide for 911's. On his site he has an article regarding the differences between C2s and C4s in which he states:

"I have driven 100's of both 964 C2 and C4 and often have been able to drive them 'back to back' on the road."

"What I notice is this; Driven normally on the road its hard to tell the difference between a C2 and C4, coming out of tight bends you can feel the steering on the C4 weight up as some torque is sent to the front axle, plus if you compare between cars the brakes have a different feel (the C4 runs a high pressure system). For most drivers, for ordinary driving I bet few could tell a C2 from a C4."

An interesting read what ever your particular bent in this much discussed topic.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 01-29-2006, 11:10 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 459 Posts

If that odd sensation is the car gripping and not sliding or skipping a beat under full throttle... then maybe that is odd compared to a normal 911!
Old 01-29-2006, 11:16 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

OT: Garrett, how'd the lock re-key turn out?
Old 01-29-2006, 11:19 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
OT: Garrett, how'd the lock re-key turn out?
Still awaiting the lock set!
Old 01-30-2006, 12:22 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Quirky? My C4 has never surprised me. I have had quite a few cars do things to me that left me *** forward or worse. I find the C4 predictably understeers into every situation. No matter how crappy I enter or exit a corner or anything else, it just takes care of it for me.

Kirk
Old 01-30-2006, 01:28 AM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies. I am pleased to know that no one has experienced what my mechanic friend describes. I'll definitely try to drive one of these cars as soon as the opportunity presents. The reason I ask is that I'm faced with the possibility of relocation over the next couple of years -- from the deep South to the Northeast -- and I'd be interested in a P-car with AWD as a daily driver. Currently, I've got an RSA that I love dearly.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:03 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jlr
I just read the post on handling with great interest and wondering about C4 handling. Among those who own or have driven them, is there any quirky about the AWD? My P-car mechanic says there is and odd sensation when the diff sends a different proportion of power to the wheels, a sensation that was eliminated in the 993.
My previous 964 was a C2 and my present 964 is a C4.
I haven't found anything "quirky" about the AWD.
When you're driving in the wet or on snow/ice then you will clearly sense when you would have been in trouble in a C2 and when the PDAS system in the C4 stabilizes the car. It feels like if a big hand grabs the car, corrects it and let you go when the nose is pointing the right way again.
On the track, if you alter your style of driving a bit you can minimise the inherent understeer of the C4.

I use my car all year around regardless of conditions and in my opinion the C4 is a lot more fun to drive because you can really drive it harder in country roads without fear that the car will punish you for every small mistake you make.

Last edited by Millemiglia; 01-30-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:21 AM
David P
Instructor

Hi Jlr,

I've just done the Mt Buller Hill Climb (in the touring section) in a C4. On such twisty steep road with slippy tarmac I wouldn't have wanted any other car. The new green light on the dash board was on a lot (see PDAS light ), we had all four wheels spinning coming out of some of the first gear hairpins I didn't notice anything "quirky" about it. When you push it too hard in a corner it just understeers as the rear diff locks. The light is a great way to know when the system is working.

We were able to go harder and faster than a couple of the GT3 drivers as we had the confidence (stupidity )to push the limits of the car. (Obviously the really well driven GT3s ate us for breakfast )

As Millemiglia says its doesn't punish you for small mistakes.

I'll post a video of one of the runs up, if I can find somewhere to host it, and you can see how even very badly driven 964 C4 copes chasing a 450 hp 930 Turbo up a tight twisty road.

DavidP
Old 01-30-2006, 06:43 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Please do... I for one would love to see to you in action behind the wheel of a Carrera 4 at its best...
Thanks for the offer and your efforts David,
Marc
Old 01-30-2006, 07:20 AM
Christer
Race Car

Marc, just had a look at 'Alpina'....and I can only 'say'.....

My own car has not experienced the gentle touch of a friendly wash mitt/sponge for over 4 months.....I feel ashamed!
Old 01-30-2006, 11:05 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here's a fun video from last year taking a deep dive into turn 1 with no fear (well, maybe a little)

http://homepage.mac.com/guessendo/lapL.mp4
Old 01-30-2006, 11:16 AM
agentpennypacker
Pro

IMO - the C4 just feels very different (at the track). Having tracked some of the earlier cars, it is not what you expect the 911 to do, especially at high speeds. Part of it also may be the weight difference, relatively speaking to the C2 that I now track and the C4 I experienced last summer. Much more forgiving for sure (in case you ease off the gas at high speeds).

Sorry Garrett - I'm still faster in the C2

CHEERS!

Quick Reply: Carrera 4 handling