Sponsored by:

Christmas Tree - Dash warning lights: problem solved

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 02:18 PM
greenjt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Christmas Tree - Dash warning lights: problem solved

Since these issues are sometimes squirrely to chase down, i thought i would post this for future searching reference if anybody runs into similar symptoms:

I have had my 91 C2 for a little over a year now. Ever since i have had it, i would periodically get the christmas tree effect with random dash lights and the sometimes that annoying buzzer, but ONLY WITH THE LIGHTS ON. Turning the car off and back on would get rid of it. This problem had recently become increasingly common and got to the point that it would happen every time i drove with the lights on and the restart trick could not shake it. This finally incentivised me enough to find a fix.

Having read another Rennlister had solved the problem by replacing the coil/distributor leads, I gave that a try. This indeed solve the problem. However, "while i was in there," i noticed there was a significant amount of greenish-white buildup on the Primary connection at the coil end. Since my symptoms grew worse over time, I assumed that if i left the coil alone, it was only a matter of time before this would happen again. So after a few weeks with no recurring symptoms, i changed both coils as preventative maintenance. Upon inspection, the top of the primary coil had a good bit of the same green/white residue.

I don't know if it truly was the lead or the coil. I suspect the coil as the leads looked fairly new and the coils looked original.

Old 01-25-2006, 03:41 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Seems like all your problems got fixed. Well done
Old 01-26-2006, 01:50 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Great job. I ended up replacing the coils as well "while I was in there"... turned out to be in the same condition as you describe...so it was well worth the effort.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:32 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

James... Did you find stock Bosch coils or did you use aftermarket ones?
Old 01-26-2006, 11:16 AM
greenjt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick, the coils i installed were Bosch. $50ish a piece from porsche-parts-direct.com

Quick Reply: Christmas Tree - Dash warning lights: problem solved