Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement of the electrical circuit board on the soft top 911/964.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 10:17 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Default Replacement of the electrical circuit board on the soft top 911/964.

Replacement of the electrical circuit board on the soft top 911/964.

Dear Fellow Rag Toppers...Part I

Yesterday while reading the thread of a man with sensor problems, another posted his misfortunes with a dead battery and yet another posted that the soft top would open and close only with the engine off and mentioned that the subsequent battery drain was the norm...
Well, my "Dear Fellow Rag Toppers", do the following if you wish to eliminate one more nerve splitting problem...
A small modification calls for the replacement of the electrical circuit board controlling the functions of the two soft-top motors aft of the rear jump seats. I had battery drain unlimited because of the way it was set up on the German model 911/964, and as it appears, it’s also on the ROW (USA) models. We 911/964 owners are obliged normally to cut the engine to operate the open and or close functioning of the soft top. The newer 993’s were rigged differently to function with engine off and or engine running, hand break on. I ordered the 993 Original Parts number: 993 618 318 00, this replaced the Original Part no: 911, etc, shown in the photo above. The additional contacts offer the upgrade when rewired to the 964 wiring. And, in the right hands, it worked from the very first moment the engine was turned over. Porsche slid the front right hand seat forward and in a few minutes rewired the electrics to the two soft-top motors aft. I now have all the options as to how I wish to open and or close the soft top. With the battery or with the engine running, since this upgrade, no longer do I have battery problems. Check it out with your Porsche Dealer or ask a guy like Jason or others at rennlist that know much more then I do if in doubt. They are much more professional, I only offer an option to follow up on to eliminate a problem that you may have had, as I once did... If this thread possibly helps you, then all the better, thanks...
Marc.

PS. I can however tell you step by step how to restore the black soft top foreward edging as shown, let me know and I'll prepare the recipe... I can help you in paintwork much more...

Last edited by MARC A. 964 C4; 01-16-2006 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:27 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Marc did you strip the paint off the the roof frame where it is now chrome? Mine is peeling off and thinking about doing the same.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:19 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Yes Jim, a little bit of manual graft and a layer or two of "TLC", and it came out like this. I had the exact same eye sore and, two hours later... Presto, like new and very unique. Give me some time and I’ll post the "How To", tomorrow or Tuesday, you have my promise. Good to hear from you, hope Florida is giving you the opportunity for some winter top down cruising. Saw the pics of your 911/964 since your upgrades... Looking good fellow... 15 days late but, Happy Year and good health!
All the best from here,
Marc.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks Marc. I thought mine was the only one peeling off
It went from the 80's on friday to 40's this weekend and back to warm monday. Top is up today!

Quick Reply: Replacement of the electrical circuit board on the soft top 911/964.