Present for 15th birthday - progress report

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 05:39 AM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg_L
...but at the nordschleife
I'd say 2 years of regular driving there will have made the koni's work hard !!!
I had a look at my logsheet, and I've done 109,5 laps on the Nordschleife with these shocks.

If you bear in mind that a decent percentage of those laps is slow sighting laps, or damp laps, or wet laps, I'd guess it's about 75 laps driven in anger. That's about 1000miles
Shouldn't cause any issues with the shocks, me thinks. Not to mention that lots and lots of 964s do lots more laps with no issues at all.

Cheers,

JW
Old 02-01-2006, 07:13 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats still quite a lot though, although i'd be surprised if there's anything wrong with other damper. I only mentioned it because of what a salesman at Porsche Zentrum Koblenz once told me. I'm not sure how true it is, but he thought that 10 hard laps of the NS with a decent & experienced driver equated to 1000 normal road km's of wear to all components.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:13 PM
C H
Instructor

Koni does offer a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser

Q: What is theKONI warranty? How do I go about getting replacements?

A: The KONI warranty is a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser against defects in materials and workmanship and against wear out for as long as you own that car registered for street use. The warranty does not cover damage to the parts caused by misuse, misapplication, installation, motorsports, etc. The warranty does not include mounting bushings. If you determine you have a defective damper you can either contact the company which you purchased the unit(s) from or contact KONI North America directly at warranty@koni-na.com or 859-586-4100. To process your warranty, we will require a copy of the purchase receipt and a vehicle registration. We will generate a return goods authorization (RGA) and can replace the dampers in advance at your discretion. For more specific information about the warranty see inside back cover of our technical guide.

If you have the bill for the Koni's make them replace both since strut/shocks are suppose to be replaced in pairs
Old 02-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by C H
The warranty does not cover damage to the parts caused by misuse, misapplication, installation, motorsports, etc.
I think that they would consider driving "The 'Ring" as motorsports and deny coverage but it might be worth a try.

Marc
Old 02-02-2006, 05:54 PM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I think that they would consider driving "The 'Ring" as motorsports and deny coverage but it might be worth a try.
It's a public road. No timing, no racing, and not harder on the car than driving up and down a few Alpine passes.
It isn't called "Tourist Driving" for nothing

The "replace both shocks" is an interesting point though. Any opinions on that?

Cheers,

JW
Old 02-02-2006, 05:55 PM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
It's a public road. No timing, no racing, and not harder on the car than driving up and down a few Alpine passes.
It isn't called "Tourist Driving" for nothing

The point C H makes about replacing both shocks is an interesting one though. Any opinions on that?

Cheers,

JW
Old 03-05-2006, 12:13 PM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Talking

Got the car back, and it looks and feels lovely

I've also updated my site with some more pics: see here

Cheers,

JW
Old 03-05-2006, 07:20 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Your car looks great JW. Enjoy your future runs.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:37 PM
TJN
Instructor

Default jw hubbers

Originally Posted by JW Hubbers
My car will celebrate her 15th birthday this year, and I decided to give her a treat over the winter. It's nothing compared to the rebuilds that are being reported on here, but I took some pics and threw together a little webpage anyway: 15th birthday page

The work's not finished yet, but it shouldn't take much longer. The car will be in fine fettle for a Rennlist North Wales run in the spring/summer

Cheers,

JW
neat story, good luck on your first run, would love to see "your" countryside! tjn/vk
Old 03-06-2006, 12:30 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JW... Thank you for sharing your pictures! I'm sure I'll need to do a few of the things you listed.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:59 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Originally Posted by JW Hubbers
Got the car back, and it looks and feels lovely

I've also updated my site with some more pics: see here

Cheers,

JW
Hey JW...
Great!! I admire you for your dedication to Porsche 911 and your sharing of this passion with me,
and of course all the other, 964’ers here at R.L.com...

From here,
Marc...
Old 03-06-2006, 05:59 AM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Smile

Thanks for the kind words, all

I'm in the process of planning a trip over some Alps for July. It'll be interesting to see how the car behaves during that.

Also, I have an open ferry ticket to the UK that I intend to use for a Rennlist North Wales run.

And sometime soon I hope to do some more drift training

Cheers,

JW

Quick Reply: Present for 15th birthday - progress report