Sponsored by:

Installing a JIC Cross Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
I think it's a DIY. I did mine in my garage. The Cross/JIC are great! With 15 adjustments you cant go wrong. Also, for a more "tuned" package, go to a scrap metal yard and have your car weighed for front axle only, then rear axle, then total. Give this #'s to Cross and they will give you appropriate spring rates for not too much more. If you nag them they may even give you a break. It always helps.
There is a rock store with a scale right near my work place. I'm going to drive it on Thursday to work so I'll get these weights then. Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:35 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by viperbob
I have sold and installed a number of the JICs on 964/965/993/996 (including Tom W's). They are a nice unit. They are a little more oriented for the track (with the monoballs already). They are a good price for all that you get. They are also OK for the street (there are a few different spring rates so you can get one for your application). They are pretty straightforward to install, especially on a 964. They are all assembled and ready to install out of the box.... I would be more than happy to answer any questions for you on installing them. I would also go with these any day over the H&Rs...
Thanks for the offer. I may very well have some questions when I get down to it.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I notice these JIC units have a threaded lower perch as well. Is this not different than say an Moton Club Sport? The JIC literature says you adjust the ride height via the lower perch and not the perch touching the spring. What is the benefit of the JIC design?

Curious because my buddy is asking me about JIC coilovers for his Supra and doing a cornerweight with my Longacre scales. I can do it with single perch Motons, but this double perch stuff is new to me

thanks
Old 01-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

I think the benefit of that is that you can adjust ride height without adjusting the pre-load characteristics of the springs. This gives you consistent response from the suspension regardless of the ride height.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I understand you are are say Red. Just trying to get more info on how one does a corner balance with a setup like this.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:40 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The JICs are a bi-tube shock. There is an upper part that has the spring / spring seat, etc. Then this part is threaded and threads into the lower section. So you set the sping preload / height on the upper part, and then set ride height and corner balance by threading up or down the entire top section. OK, so why? This will remove any issue with shock travel as you are never changing the stroke length of the shock regradless of where you set the ride height.

Last edited by viperbob; 01-12-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bob.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:17 PM
FamilyCar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forklift Jim,
Please post your thoughts on what you might do to your 9s. I put a set on about 6mos ago, maybe 4-5 events on them. I'm semi-satisfied w/ them but definitely not ecstatic. My car not sits higher than when I had cup car shocks on it. I also get a bit more body roll than I expected.
Thx,
Patrick AKA Familycar

Quick Reply: Installing a JIC Cross Suspension?