Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How do you use your Bilstein HDs?
I use them with stock U.S.A. spring height
2.56%
I use them with lower springs but did not revalve them
76.92%
I use them with lower springs and revalved them
20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Bilstein HDs and revalving

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 11:02 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Does anyone know the rates of the HD's vs. the sports and the koni yellows?
Old 01-17-2006, 05:10 AM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes the USA Cups were never street legal. But the Cup versions in europe were. Someone out there will know more I hope.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Actually the car we call the 964 Carrera Cup here in the USA is a street legal car and was really a 964 Carrera RS European model with USA safety equipment. For full story go here www.carreracupusa.org

The European M001 Carrera Cup cars were unmuffled, single seat racing cars. These cars could of course be equipped with mufflers, etc. by an owner and be licensed in some countries, but as delivered to customers from Porsche, they were not street legal.

The M003 Clubsport looked very much like an M001 Carrera Cup since the M003 has a full roll cage, a stripped, painted interior and the same model Recaro SPG seat (two of them though) with a harness just like a Carrera Cup. These cars were street legal.

The M001 and M003 cars each had a different a serial number sequence than the Base N/GT and M002 Touring cars which shared the same serial number sequence.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:54 AM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we are singing from the same hymn sheet here, just at different points of the hymn. The point I tried to make was that the cars as converted by andial(to race spec) would never have been US road legal without going back to how they were shipped(virtually). In the uk a Euro cup car would have just needed an exhaust swap out to be made road worthy. True neither were legal as is.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

I wish our road rules were like the UK.

In the USA, just plugging the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) of a real Euro Cup or Euro RS into the Federal computer licensure network would disqualify it for road use even if you completely changed it back to a normal road car specification with full interior, safety equipment and normal suspension!!!

One would have to have the car custom certified with all the safety and emisson equipment necessary- a very expensive process since airbags would have to be installed.

The VIN of the USA "Cups" was a normal USA C2 VIN, not a RS VIN and the cars had full safty equipment as imported to the country.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:05 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

In Massachusetts there is a range of VINs (for the RSA) that do not show up in the state certification computers or in the insurance company computers. Do you have any idea if these (insurance) computers would be tied to the "Federal computer licensure network"? Back in 1993 the insurance companies didn't have this (RSA) range of VINs listed with any model on the "high-theft" list so I managed to get a good size discount. Nowadays it comes in handy during emissions testing. I'm wondering if the same scenario would happen with a real RS or euro cupcar?
Old 01-22-2006, 01:42 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

The VIN numbers for the USA Carrera 2 Coupe has the form: WPOAB296?NS42 0001

The thirteenth digit "2"= Carrera 2 Coupe

The last 4 digits are the serial number

The “?” in the USA VIN Number indicates a randomly generated number which can be the numbers 0 through 9 or the letter X in the United States only. This check digit prevents numbers from being fraudulently generated since one cannot assume the VINs are sequential.

The tenth digit N=1992, P=1993 R=1994 and so on. This letter and the serial number is all that changes through the years in a normal Carrera 2.

The RSA has a more complex serial number sequence through it's years of production with both the letter and number ranges changing and the car is in a different range than a Carrera 2 to begin with.

The first series model year 1993 RS Americas built between January and August 1992 VIN numbers in the 1993 "P" series numbers, with a “1” as the thirteenth digit (instead of a 2) to designate a RS America and an “8” reserved as the fourteenth digit to begin the serial number in the range beginning with an 8000 range serial number: WPOAB296?PS41 8000

The 1994 RSA cars are "R" series numbers in the range beginning with a 9000 range serial number: WPOAB296?RS41 9000

I bet all the shifting of the RSA numbers confused the insurance company statistical system since it did not consider the cars in the same category so some are high risk others not

The Euro RS has a serial number in the much different from the USA form of: WPOZZZ96ZNS49 0001. The Z's take up space in the European numbers that are dedicated to the more complex USA numbering system therefore they are easy to spot.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:11 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
I bet all the shifting of the RSA numbers confused the insurance company statistical system since it did not consider the cars in the same category so some are high risk others not
The RSA didn't even exist in the insurance company computers. I got quotes from several places and it turned out that everyone just entered the car as a regular C2. I informed them that it was a different model (which it is) and got away without having to pay the high-theft surcharge.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:28 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cup car would you happen to know the valving of the bilsteins mated with the progressive springs.
Bob Scotto 1990 euro 964 cup
Old 01-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

This probably won't be much help.

The rears are marked: 3795/1725

I can't see the markings on the front set.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:00 AM
burgass
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agentpennypacker
Do a search on shock rates You will find a lot
If you can not find rates for the Konis PM me so you can get actual graphs for
the rears and info for the fronts
Old 04-21-2019, 08:50 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 225 Posts

I clicked on the link you have it's all ladies with Japs language? lmao!
Old 04-21-2019, 09:06 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 225 Posts

I just recently acquired a Cup Car and even before I had a chance to drive it (a month of negotiation) I was curious how does it feel to drive it. I assumed the previous owner raced it because of the equipments that came with the car (fire suppression,cage,real tight recaros,and lap timer). It also came with Moton Clubsport suspension and I was surprised how compliant the car is and I'll say it's a much better feeling than my 02 GT-2 (sold) doesn't bottom down nor kiss the rear tires on aggressive mode. Drove her 45 miles on a mix road surface on the way to the dealer and was really impressed with it so I'll be keeping it for now,

Quick Reply: Bilstein HDs and revalving