Sponsored by:

How many America GS's made?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 11:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Default How many America GS's made?

I guess this question is directed to Robert Linton and Adrian mostly. I just received a copy of Porsche 911 Perfection By Design authered by Randy Leffingwell. The book has some great photos and lots of info, for the most part I believe is correct, although there are some major mistakes I have picked up on.

The book appears to have pictures of what might be Robert's 1990 turbo S with a great shot of the leather gage faces and what appears to be Humpty Dumpty his America GS. According to Adrian's book only the one America GS was made, yet Randy claims that 250 were made and althouh the car looks similar and has the trademark purple gage surrounds and America GS emblem the car was different in many ways. Were there more than one of these cars made and if so how many?

There also is a picture of a beautiful black 964 turbo S with Nevada dealer plates on it I am assuming this is or was fellow rennlister Les Quams car. Unfortunatly the author got the specs wrong regarding engine displacement and Hp increase.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I am afraid this Randy guy is totally wrong.
Only one GS was ever made. Porsche made 250 American Roadsters, but the GS is used the very last ROW widebody cab built as its base.
The Roadster was the US market version of the ROW widebody cab.
The slant nose Turbo cab is a 1989 model year and a very special version. Great write up in an old Excellence on this car. The last of its kind.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Only one America GS 3.8 Hardtop Roadster ever made. Also, Randy's pictures are very, very old, i.e., before most of the special test components were installed.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:16 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,261 Posts

I figured as much. Thanks for the clarification. So the slant nose is yours also Robert? I love the leather gages. He has a number of comments about how it was an ordered car with 28 pages of special wishes options. Not a factual book like Adrian's but has some great pictures.

BTW Happy Holidays to the both of you and all Rennlister's. Still would love to see those cars if the oportunity ever presents itself.

Quick Reply: How many America GS's made?