Sponsored by:

It's monday- what have you learned?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 02:24 PM
Pascal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geoff,
My thoughts are with you and your family.
Don't want to talk about cars now, seems all so irrelevant. Things like these are bringing back memories..........

May your father rest in peace.

All the very best wishes,
Pascal
Old 12-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

I learned that my wife is expecting...so I guess I am as well...
Congrats to you badcar...and so sorry Geoff (just a little bandwith used!).
I learned that the sprayers from those do it yourself car washes that cost 6 quarters can really take the brake dust off your wheels and calipers. I've resorted to this type of washing for now since my hose is frozen and I can't let the car sit overnight with salt on it (****-retentive, I know).

c
Old 12-19-2005, 03:41 PM
seaeagle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dual Mass flywheel

I learnt that my BMW 323 has a dual mass flywheel, as the clutch just got replaced. I learnt the DMF had to be replaced becuase it was a bit worn as well and the clutch and flywheel ought to be done together as there was a risk of clutch problems if they weren't. I learnt that a BMW DMF had to be replaced with anor DMF, unike the venerable 911 with its simple but effective design allows as we all know,a DMF to be replaced with somethng much better.

Who thought the DMF was a good idea in the first place and is there anyone with a reason why they would have been put on the planet. My BMW man was of the view "if I had my way they would be banned but yu just gotta play the cards yu are dealt".

I knew the clutch was an issue from the PPI, had the car for a year now and I knew it was time to replace it. But no one told me about DMF's!. Anor person did the PPI . I learnt that heavy repairs bills are not confined to 911's. BMW can match them $ for $. Just as well I got the car at a reasonable price but any value has now been eaten due to the additonal cost of a new DMF.

Still looking for that hard to get 928 GTS manual.

Sea Eagle
Old 12-19-2005, 04:14 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey badcar; that's great. so continues the circle of life.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:32 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I've learned that there is a difference between disconnecting the battery and performing a system adaptation with the Hammer.

My idle is back! At last.

I had been suffering with an idle that dipped too low each time I came to a stop; or even just let the clutch in long enough. I also had hesitation at low rpm's that was growing annoying.

Now I have a nice steady idle, no dips no matter how high the rpm's when I push in the clutch and a nice smooth power band from low rpm right on up.

So, my first experience with the Hammer has been quite satisfying.

And, of course, condolences to you Geoff, and to your family. My thoughts are with you. I lost my dad when I was 21. It sucks. No matter the time or age. All the best.

Dave
Old 12-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk911
Hey badcar; that's great. so continues the circle of life.
You know as soon as I read Badcar's post... That is exactly what I thought!

Congrats Badcar!
Old 12-19-2005, 08:25 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hawk, as everyone has said, I'm really sorry to hear about your dad.
Could just as well have been me in your shoes so you got my attention. My dad is the same age and is in horrible shape... overweight and probably a coronary waiting to happen. At least it won't be the shock that you and your family had.

Take care of yourself and find a way to clear your head.

My condolences.

Mark

Quick Reply: It's monday- what have you learned?