Sponsored by:

Off Brand Tires????

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Wagner
I would really like to get about 30K miles out of a set of tires. Is this even possible???
Bill,

I got about 24,000 miles out of a set of rears (Dunlop D40 MII's) on my '86 when I had that. I sold the car and there was maybe another 1000 or so miles left on the rears. Fronts were still quite good yet with at least half of the tread still there. I did do a lot of highway driving/cruising with that car. Not sure if that is even possible on a heavier, higher powered 964.

I wish they still made those tires yet...

Jay
90 964
Old 12-20-2005, 12:49 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put new ES100's on the rear of the 964 yesterday. I like the tyres but find that they last around a year - not a longlife tire but the cars are all autocrossed. I'm sure that dosen't help.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hiya Bill Wagner
Where are you ?
Old 12-22-2005, 03:01 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the delay in any comments, I was stuck in a motel last night without internet access.

Indycam:

I'm located in Northern Virginia...Metropolitan Washington D.C..

Everyone:

Two of the things I've noticed that no one seems to make reference to are:

1. The UTQG rating of the tire, which theoretically tells us
how long the tire will last
2. Load ratings, which vary from tire to tire considerably.

Clearly one of the oddities us 911 owners must face is the fact that unlike other cars, the large engine and transaxle are centered almost directly on top of the rear tires. Even on front wheel drive cars (which often have puny engines) the transfer case/transaxle are offset behind the front wheels which allows a more even weight distribution.

My current thinking is to start comparing both of the ratings above and see if I can actually find that "magical" tire that doesn't sneak up on me with advanced tread were right before inspection.

Opinions anyone???
Old 12-22-2005, 04:46 AM
Christer
Race Car

Opinion.......ok......stop procrastinating and just do it!
Old 12-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

You are far to far away to try my tires .

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=48

Did you look at the fuzion zri ?
Old 12-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

I will chime in with a vote for the Yoko's AVS100. Run them since they came out on my 928. Cheap but not road racing rubber, much longer wearing than previous tires. Now have them on the 964 and with a lighter car they seem more sporty? Really like the Toyo's I am running on the race car. Cheap and wear out not as quick as Hosiers road racing??

Steve
Old 12-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Car and Driver report last month was great - since that's the best write up I've seen on tires in the last few years, I would probably stick with their advise.

If you're looking for a bargain tire, I'd go with the Hankooks - C&D rated them highly, and noted that they perform as well as more expensive tires in the wet.

If you can swing another couploe of hundred bucks, go with the Goodyear Eagle F1's - great performance in wet and dry, and a high treadware rating.

As an aside, I've got Kumho Ecstas on my 964 right now, and I think they drive great (really, how much faster can you take an onramp?), but C&D rated them lowest. I've driven them very very hard, and I'm still alive, so that would be a good thing, no?
Old 12-24-2005, 10:18 PM
searching4996
Racer

BF Goodrich g-Force Sport--I have these on my 300zx and they've been excellent. Of the budget one's you've mentioned, these and nitto's seem to provide the best value for the money.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:26 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Has anyone ever used Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on their cars? I had a set on an Audi TT and was very happy with them.. Very good UTQG ratings, quiet, handled well, but were pricey.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:31 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

I switched to the RE750 bridgestones 2 years ago. Got about 9k miles on it and there is about 1/2 way to the wear indicators. I'd expect about 15-18k on them. They are also quite quiet. And handles twisty roads very well. I will switch to the Yoko Advans Neovas when I change to 17" wheels.

Last edited by Eggplant Cab; 12-25-2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:54 AM
joccomo
AutoX

I just put some Bridgestone Potenza S-02A tires on my 1990 C2. I have only had them on for about a week, but I love them already. Quiet... very quiet, and they seem to absorb road bumps much better than previous tires. They have an excellent rating, and the $1100 I spent on the set was hopefully well spent. But, if you are looking for inexpensive tires that last and give good performance... I can't say enough about the Dunlop sp9000. You can get them at Sam's club for about $120 a tire, and you can't burn them up if you try. They held the road nicely, and with any amount of tread, they were OK quiet. But, the even wear and tire life were incredible. I had a set of new rims and tires I was having shipped in, so I took the car on a little road trip to put that old set of tires to rest. I abused them in every way I could.. assuming that would be their last road trip. Whem I took them off and put my new 17's on, the tires showed very little wear.. and most importantly, they wore evenly. I was amazed. I am giving these expensive S 02A's a run and I hope they give me some bang for my buck. If they don't.. it's back to Sam's club (or it's evil twin, Walmart) for more 9000's... Good luck...
Old 12-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

I had Dunlap SP8000 on a 1986 Carrera and the wear was even and they lasted about 20K. I am running Bridgestone S03's now and they exhibit much better handling in dry and wet then the Dunlaps but are wearing much faster. I may get 12k out of them in the rear. Oh well, thats the price you pay for grip.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:46 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

I bought my car with some porsche certified pilot mxvv3's or something on it. Loose as a goose, hated them. In their defense they were old.

I looked around and read and read and read and decided to either get SO2's or Mich Pilot Sports. I had decided to get the so2's, but they bumped the price at the tire rack and were also out of them when I went to order. I got the Mich Pilot Sports instead. I love them. They are a fantastic tire to get used to the car with. I have no doubt that there are better performing tires out there, but these are great for me. The car handles predictably and even driven hard I haven't had any trouble. Also in rain I just go.

About 8000 miles so far, driven fairly hard on back windy mountain roads, with no perceptable wear problems. Fronts look new and the rears only slightly worn. My only complaint is they are a little noisier when cornering hard than I like. I like the noise, as it adds some warning for my non-professional driving, just not quite that much of it.

16" stock wheels
Old 12-28-2005, 03:33 AM
Hambisa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeremy;
When I bought my car it had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (stock size) with about 10K miles on them. I have done another 14K and they look as though they still have at least 50% remaining on the rears, while the fronts look nearly new. Freeway and city performance is excellent, and they even seemed fine during a session at California Speedway (combined infield track and oval course.)
All-season tires are not really necessary here, as we only have one season in SoCal , and I haven't run any other tires on this car to compare them to, but the Pilot Sport A/S seems to be a good match for a stock 964. On a daily driver, enthusiastically driven whenever possible, they seem to have a better life expectancy than most 'Listers, on this and other threads of similar topics, seem to be getting from their tires.

Happy new year wishes to all my friends in Rennlist-land.

Quick Reply: Off Brand Tires????