Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   I don't like the sound of this (at all...) (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/243685-i-dont-like-the-sound-of-this-at-all.html)

McJohn 01-10-2006 12:54 PM

As a Scotsman I find it hard to greet the news that it will "only" cost £3.5k as good news, but I suppose it could have been a lot worse. Thanks for the update John, and I shall watch the rest of the story with baited breath (and mildly palpitating wallet!)

McJohn

Caveman 01-10-2006 01:02 PM

Hi John,

Given that it is being done by a highly reputed shop it could be a lot worse. Having said that it's a chunk of change. One way to look at it is that if you have had the car for more than three years then you have already saved this money through not feeling the need to replace it which is what you would have done if you had not bought a Porsche...

Depending upon how it goes do you think that you might get a few tweaks while it is in there? ;-)

Fingers crossed for you and let us know how you get on

Cheers,

David

Kahdmus 01-10-2006 01:25 PM

John, was wondering about your car and glad to get the update. I'm with McJohn on the £3.5k!!!

Keeping everything crossed over here,

--H

robmug 01-10-2006 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by John Boggiano
Must dash now - in the middle of translating a a very interesting document from German into English...

Shhhh - we can't tell anyone yet ;)

John Boggiano 01-10-2006 01:46 PM

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Taj 01-10-2006 02:15 PM

Come on guys....what's the big secret..........could it possibly be the internal workings of the Hammer???? i.e. so you could build an emulator to run on a PC????

bet it is.

Taj.

darth 01-10-2006 02:15 PM

Hi John

Just curious, I can't imagine the cam chain jumped a tooth and you said it wasn't over reved, so is it possible something like carbon got in between the valve(s) and piston(s) - is it more than one valve/piston? If they're replacing the bearing halves which is essentially replacing the bearings (I think or is there roller bearings in there too on the "big end"?) will they have to do any machining/polishing before they do so?

Bill
90C2

Indycam 01-10-2006 02:23 PM

Hiya
I'm very glad to hear that it wasn't bearings . I would also like to know how the cam slipped .

Sten 01-10-2006 03:31 PM

John,
Do you have an aftermarket chip fitted? I read somewhere that some of them increase the rev limit?
Barry

John Boggiano 01-10-2006 04:32 PM

Evening, Barry.

Did you like your Christmas present? ;)

Yes, I DO have a chip, but I never drive past the redline and, on this occasion, I'm sure i wasn't even close.

Sten 01-10-2006 04:48 PM

Evening John,

Fits a treat - that should keep everyone guessing....

DaveK 01-10-2006 04:51 PM

Fits a treat - that should keep everyone guessing....
Yes...... but the picture that flashed in my head when I read that was...... one that I rather wish hadn't! :eek:

John Boggiano 01-10-2006 04:59 PM

Yes, Barry, just remember to keep the stretchy bit around the bottom nice and snug.

Funny how Dave's avatar puts you in mind of it, isn't it?

Sten 01-10-2006 05:07 PM

Maybe I should get zips fitted for quicker access?

Sten 01-10-2006 05:11 PM

On a more serious note - how would the cam have slipped? The only adjustment is by moving the locating pin that you use to get the cam timing spot on.