Sponsored by:

Front windscreen replacement procedure

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 01:52 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front windscreen replacement procedure

Hi there. I'm having my front windscreen replaced on my 964 Turbo by my local Glass repairer and was wondering if anyone has a link to the correct procedures for replacing our windscreens. I have purchased a new rubber for them to use but would prefer to give them a printout of the correct procedure in case they were going to do it any differant.

Any help appreciated.

Yes I did try the search function
Old 12-11-2005, 02:56 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

I know this is not much of a answer, but when mine was replaced, the procedure followed was the same as that, for other windscreens,. It did take three men however to place it correctly. Because of the curvature and possible damage, concentration seemed to be biggest ingredient to the installation. There’s a few refit photos at my site, sorry I have nothing more,.. The All Blacks,.. What a pleasure to watch,.. Marc
PS. If I find something else I'll post it,..
Old 12-11-2005, 12:44 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm like Marc... when i had mine replaced (due to a rather large stone chip), the installation guy was familiar with 964s. Took him an hour, start to finish, with no undue problems. He did not replace the rubber (said it didn't need it, and, frankly, i can't tell any difference). He also inspected for "scratches" where the windshield meets the body) from the factory installation; says that's quite common on these cars. He said he touched up the scratches so they wouldn't rust. He reported no signs of rust. Cost was about $900 ($800 for the windshield from local Porsche dealer and $100 for install) (a non-Porsche original windshield would've been hundreds of dollars cheaper). This same place has done several windshields for me on other vehicles, so I had a lot of faith in their work.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies guys

I've been offered the factory instructions and I'm awaiting them to arrive.

I live too far from an OPC to have the job done there. I've got a Porsche screen and new rubber going in, just contemplating now if I should order the official Porsche sealant?

Cheers.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:34 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

There have been plenty of threads on this issue, some believe in the use of a sealant/glue (Porsche badged) , others want to put the windscreen in just like with the older modells. Would be nice if you could come back with the factory instructions when you get them. Cheers.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

I replaced my own, after the repaint a few years ago. It was no big deal.
I put the rubber on the windscreen, stuck the bottom in first, and worked my way up both sides as evenly as possible. I had to constantly keep pushing the windscreen in and down to keep the cord moving without binding.
At no time did I feel like the glass was going to break.

Duncan
Old 12-11-2005, 07:23 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ 9elven
I've got a Porsche screen and new rubber going in, just contemplating now if I should order the official Porsche sealant?
Definitely follow Porsche's instructions to the the tee, use the adhesive AND the primer. Rennlist is littered with 964s & 993s that have windshields that squeak and $1000 rust repair bills that could have been avoided if installers had just followed instructions.

Originally Posted by NZ 9elven
I live too far from an OPC to have the job done there
Even if you were having the windshield replaced at an official Porsche dealership you should still bring the specific workshop manual pages (Pages 64.1 - 64.7) with you and remind them to do it properly. The procedure is also reprinted in Adrian's book on pages 490-493. And check the bill/receipt before you walk out of the shop. Its not unheard of for the glass installer to just completely ignore everything.
The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (11-26-2023)

Quick Reply: Front windscreen replacement procedure