Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's Monday; what have you learned??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 07:58 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's Monday; what have you learned??

I learned you can't keep ceramic crocks outside; they crack! I also learned said crocks are now right next to the car cuz I don't have enough room in the garage for all the storable items. Next year; bigger grage, bigger house, bigger payment, but oh well.

KGorman did the same suspension swap I did, and he had help just like I did. His looks great, just like ours does; see a pattern?? Quit shadowing me

We had our holiday party Saturday even with the 4-6 inches of snow we got. Had a great time; lots of good food, good booze, and great company. Can't wait for the next party.

So what about you?
Old 12-05-2005, 09:01 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Got the lift in, G-Pipe on, a path cleared in the garage and no snow
Next up pull off the front calipers this week and paint them.
My girlfriend says the sound of the G-pipe is orgasmic. Hmmm
Old 12-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I learned while dissasembling my track car -

It's not so bad taking off the doors and hood if you have a buddy with you.
The rear center reflector mounts on the SC are a PITA
If you remove the 100LB rear bumper assembly and it slips you will have to order a new tail light lens (thank god it wasn't a 964 type light!).
The Germans had modular plugs downpat even in 78
The Germans use roofing tar to seal the windows... LOTS of it
If the race shop drills holes in sheet metal and doesn't coat it with paint it will rust
Its easier to rip the washer nozzles right out than sqeeze them from underneath
You CAN reassemble the PW switch and use a battery charger to get the window up so you can get to the door handle screws!

Much more to learn this week!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:45 AM
Slappy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned that helping a buddy disassemble a track car causes one to use muscles that they don't usually use.

I learned that the wiring colors that are specified in the manual aren't always correct.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:07 AM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned that I LOVE they way my car rides, acellerates and generally feels on D-90's. I learned that while indeed the worn Michellin Pilot Sport A/S's were a little bit better on snow than the old Yokohama Advan AWS's (all season somethings...).

I learned that my normal supplier for Nokian tires didn't stock the sizes I needed in the RSi model. I learned that whilst the C4 can accellerate quite nicely on ice, it stops astoundingly poorly. I hope to learn sometime this week that true Winter friction tires will improve the stopping capability.

I learned that I can be patient and NOT freak-out when the air-mixing flap & servo get jammed to full-hot - and that by letting the car sit overnight it resolved itself. I learned that while I do hate ABS, testing in the alley with the fuse pulled made the car quite a bit less drivable; so I guess the ABS stays...

I learned that the stock door-mounted x-overs for the speaker system don't match my new speaker impedance, or have some sort of filtering on the low freq's resulting in bass loss - direct wiring yielded much better results changing nothing else (no I wasn't hooked up to the tweeter side of the x-over...)
Old 12-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Christer
Race Car

I learned that I cannot drive 150 miles and expect the fuel gauge to remain on 'full'
Old 12-05-2005, 12:01 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I learned that on a scale of 1 to 10, my performance was a 2. Sadly, that's the kind of scale where 10 is good and 1 is bad.

I'm not going to share with you what the activity was - although personally, I thought I deserved a 1 so I should be happy!
Old 12-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I learned that replacing the rear speakers is much easier than replacing the front speakers (40 minutes for both rears versus about 4 hours so for for one front speaker).

I'll admit the front one did take longer as I'm replacing all the speaker wiring in the door at the same time and repositioning the cross-over unit too.

Marc
Old 12-05-2005, 01:24 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

learned that I still love living in California (even with some of the problems I just cannot stand). Had a crisp but nice top-down drive... yeehaw.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:30 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I learned that you can never have too long of a breaker bar on hand. I learned that my brother is pretty mechanically inclined. I learned that one can never have too many tools. We were blessed with the proper Craftsman socket/wrench/etc for each task at hand. I learned that a impact wrench is really cool, and a nice thing to have. I learned that I am going to have to paint my garage floor now, I learned that patience is required when working on p-cars, I learned how to bleed brakes w/o a power bleeder, I learned that a good quality jack is a must. I learned what my 964 drives like when on the new suspension (but no alignment yet).. I learned that I love my car more and more as time goes on. whew.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:18 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned the rear retractable spoiler air skirt has broken and needs to be replaced. Any one know of a good source in the USA?

Also my center reflector has totally failed. It broke when I tried to get the water out and reglue it. Time to order a new one.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:44 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The price of the spoiler wall are all over the map. Shop around all the usual places including cost + 15% discount Porsche dealers. I got mine at Sunset Imports 2 years ago. Cheapest at the time.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts

I learned that no matter how much your ex-wife commits to an amicable resolve, she really is incapable of thinking logically when it comes to reasonableness.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:03 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I learned that insulating and adding vapour barrier to my garage sucks.

I learned that my top end rebuild is gonna be on hold for the next few weekends while I finish the above.

I learned that getting the garage warm at -25c without insulation and vapour barrier is expensive.

Umm thats it.
Oh ya, and since I got my cam tool on friday it just sat there teasing me, while I put in insulation instead of working on the motor like I wanted to!!
Old 12-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts

I learned that I need to back down a bit more on the track. Spun twice in the wet for Qualifying and then once in the race at Roebling, which was the end of my day. No damage, other than my shift linkage as I got stuck in 4th gear.

Quick Reply: It's Monday; what have you learned??