Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need that little push...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 04:34 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Push! I just got a '89 C4 about a month ago now. I love it. I bought it for mainly track use, I was on the fence about C2 vs. C4. But in reality, it does not matter so much at my level, it really just matters that you find a good example. Either car is a good one.

I have already taken it to Infineon Raceway a couple of weeks ago, and I have to report this car is very 'durable' on the track, and is a great handler, and very fast even 100% stock. Yes it pushes, but I am getting some suspension, tire/wheel, and sway bar changes to help that.

Welcome, go get that 964 and have a ball. The good news, the depreciation on these cars is pretty much level at this point, so you can sell it if it does not turn out for you.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:49 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by bunchan
I am being pushed around here!
Just kidding, thanks for all the good advice, didn't expect so many to tune in!

Need some help interpreting the Japanese bills, let me translate as good as I can.
Work done to remediate oil-leaking:
- O-ring replacement,
- seal(s), and
- G/K replacement (could that be gasket?)

And it goes on:
- cylinder head check and carbon removal
- EX valve guide replacement (what is this?)
- valve seat, valve face work
- cylinder stud bolt replacement
- a whole bunch of oil hoses, etc have been replaced
- rear brake rotor and pad replacement
- front and rear brake hose replacement
- oil/fule filter replacement
- alternator overhaul
- battery replacement
- distributor
Hard to say for sure, but it sure looks like the heads/valves have been reconditioned (EX valve guide replacement = Exaust valve guides have been replaced). I can only guess because the actual lineitem for machining the cylinders OR replacing them isn't shown. Could G/K somehow be P/C (Piston/Cylinder) in English? That alone could be several thousand $$. The fact that they replaced head studs doesn't tell the story either, though it sure "sounds" like the top end has been completely refurbished..

Old 12-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MARC A. 964 C4
...Check it out and repost it so others can read it...
There is quite a good search function so the constant reposting of threads is unlikely to be necessary.

Marc
Old 12-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
There is quite a good search function so the constant reposting of threads is unlikely to be necessary.

Marc
Yes, or simply put a link to it.. or just look around, it's ALL been said 100 times here before!
Old 12-01-2005, 11:20 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Marc Shaw,
Sorry, I thought wrong, the goal was to help a man from Japan, it will not be done again. Gary R., I did not read the other one hundred posted remarks. Had I been sure this would not have happened,. Gentlemen, please excuse the youth of today, and tolerate the old of yesteryear. Marc A.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Marc A. - some friendly advice from just another Rennlister... relax!
Old 12-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Konichwa Bunchansan
Can you talk with the people who did the repair work ?
Can they tell you about the motor , Clutch , G/K replacementetc ?
The 89 964 C4 is a great car and at that price , you will find it hard to beat .
Old 12-01-2005, 03:29 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

I will not push anybody but I remember that when a colleague of mine took me for a ride in his 89 C4 almost 5 years ago I just needed to have one. I've had a couple of interesting cars before but one ride in that early C4 and I was lost. He sold his C4 with 250.000kms on the clock to buy an 03 C2 and is strugling with repetitive oil leaks I'm on to my second C4 and I know for sure he wished he never sold his. This is btw no reason to feel pushed
Old 12-01-2005, 08:25 PM
bunchan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again for all the good advice.
Please stop pushing now!

Going to have another look at this car next week and do a more extensive (and high-speed) test-drive, highway included. Probably will make a decision soon after.

This is not the first air-cooled 911 I have looked at. Actually I have been looking for a track car for months now, not limiting myself to P-cars, and this is the first one that feels right, also considering it's history of repairs already done and the relatively low miles. The engine and clutch condition is obviously most important to me.

Attached are two pics to give you also an idea about the exterior, although that is secondary to me when selecting a track car (color doesn't make you any faster, although I do love black cars).

Steven
Attached Images   
Old 12-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

...(color doesn't make you any faster, although I do love black cars)....
Ha! Black cars are always faster than those other colours.

Marc
Old 12-01-2005, 10:07 PM
williamreinecke
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The cup wheels are a nice bonus. Is there no sunroof? I would consider lack of a sunroof to be a bonus as well!
Old 12-01-2005, 11:47 PM
bunchan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by williamreinecke
The cup wheels are a nice bonus. Is there no sunroof? I would consider lack of a sunroof to be a bonus as well!
There is a sunroof. I know it adds weight at the worst possible place, but I try to see the positive side: on hot days it's better to have the sunroof open during track events than turn on the aircon. Or would having the sunroof open present safety issues in case of a rollover?

Steven
Old 12-02-2005, 12:59 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Steven Bunchansan,It must be a little confusing, buying a used car is not easy, and it’s even more so, when there’s a Porsche Badge on the bonnet. Words, questions, and what-to-does,. Everyone, or for the most part, has been confronted by the exact same soul searching dilemma. None of the members, or me wanted to make the, BIG MISTAKE, cars are such a reflection of our true selves,. Our Sports Car is the signature to our psyche, or human soul, we are obliged to stand by our Porsche 911/964! Once on The Ocean, there’s no returning to port when a Force 8 wind is confronted suddenly at sea. THE PICTURES LOOK GREAT. How do you feel when walking towards the car? How do you fell when sitting inside? Taking that first drive that first corner, listening to that engine, how does it feel in your hands? When all the lights flash on and off inside of you, when you feel like a young kid again with that very, long ago first car, when all the ingredients are digested,.. What does your heart, tell you to do...If you have fallen in LOVE, and you will know it when it takes place. That’s, the right one to take back to your home ...It’s what happened with me, and I’m still in love, and will never sell my Porsche 911/964. This is a better answer, excuse the one from yesterday, it was too mechanical. Good Luck, and Xmas is soon here, MARC A.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

There is a sunroof. I know it adds weight at the worst possible place, but I try to see the positive side: on hot days it's better to have the sunroof open during track events than turn on the aircon. Or would having the sunroof open present safety issues in case of a rollover?

Steven
PCA rules here (in the Northeast anyway) state the sunroof must be closed while on track, even in cars with full roll cages. They also tell you to turn the A/C off! I believe the weight savings is 11LB if you remove all the motors, cables, and weld it shut so it really isn't an issue, especially for you. Enjoy the sunroof.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:49 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weld it shut????? you guys sure give up a lot for a track car. I love my topless driving times.

Quick Reply: Need that little push...