Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry if I'm kicking a dead horse... air filter Q

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 04:29 PM
C H
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever tested the different air filter setups? Stock vs K&N vs K&N drilled vs K&N cone Vs Fabspeed?

I have just a stock setup and was looking at cutting my factory box to be like the Fabspeed setup. However, the only time you would get a decent performance gain from this type of mod is if you are drawing colder air. By drilling or cutting I would think you would get more air but it would be warmer than the stock setup. Anyone try ducting from near the rear spoiler? (Kinda like a turbo setup)
Old 02-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

CH,
For interest put the rear spoiler up and take a look at the intake pipe position .Couldnt be a lot better !
The 993 turbo ran an extension to ensure that intake air and the stuff off the intercooler didnt mix !!! Cutting the airbox top off makes more intake noise - nothing else !!!!!!!!!
Your choice .
All the best

Geoff
Old 02-09-2006, 05:27 PM
DustinTarditi
Instructor

I have a cone on mine - there's not much "seat of the pants" difference (there is a little), but it sounds better at WOT.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:32 PM
C H
Instructor

Geoff,

My concern with the intake opening is that it is pointed towards the engine, which will be drawing hot air at stop or low speeds. Going fast the air won't have a chance to heat up, and this isn't my concern. I can't remember the exact releationship but don't you gain around 10% HP for cooling the air 10 C(turbos anyway, hence intercoolers)

I did an AEM V2 CAI upgrade to my V6 Accord and not only sounds great but there is actually a power difference. Dynos showed almost 10 hp @ 5k rpm and 10 ft lb of torque. This was accomplished by routing the intake into the fender, away from engine heat and relocating the air inlet sensor.

I guess if it was possible on the 964 someone would have done this by now, but I still wouldn't mind trying to satisfy my own curiousity.

If only it was summer
Old 02-09-2006, 11:49 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by C H
I guess if it was possible on the 964 someone would have done this by now, but I still wouldn't mind trying to satisfy my own curiousity.
Using the 993TT intake trumpet facing upward (in a 993) with a fixed rear spoiler cooled the intake air temperature by about 6F.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:29 PM
C H
Instructor

Sounds like what I'm after. Any idea how Porsche deals with water entry, I am guessing there must be a drain somewhere so you don't get water in the airbox.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:36 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

Originally Posted by Slappy
When the time comes to sell my 964, if the buyer is hemming and hawing on the sale because I don't have a stock air box ... oh well !!!
What front splitter are ou saving for?

Quick Reply: Sorry if I'm kicking a dead horse... air filter Q