Another cab top adjusting question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 07:43 PM
CincyMike
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another cab top adjusting question

Hi All--

My cab top has been 'loose' since I bought the car a couple of months ago. On opening, the frame will "flop" back several inches after it passes the tipping point, then continue to open & seat normally. When closing I need to catch the front bow to keep it from slamming down on the frame; the latches lock normally. The gearboxes are tight to the body, and the center bolts tight. Maybe the main gear in the gearbox is worn, or drive calbles? After looking through the archives, I ought to fix this before I break something.

Also-- Both center bolts seem to be tack-welded to a bushing or spacer, making it impossible to get a socket on the head. This seems odd since you're supposed to loosen them through the access hole for 'emergency' manual operation.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

The picture helps. There has been an issue in the past with that screw. It obviously was coming loose and causing problems with the alignment of the transmissions, and that's why it was welded.

If I had any first step advise; it would be to remove the large black cover on the bow directly overhead from the transmissions (B-pillar bow). There are several phillips head screws that hold this cover on and unzipping the rear window will make removal easier.

It is likely that the bow is broken due to the misalignment of the transmisions. But let's hope that this is not the case. Nevertheless, you will need to remove the cover to find out.

Duncan
Old 11-22-2005, 02:02 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Hey, please excuse this very basic question but, are you opening and closing the roof on level, square to the ground, bulb leveller precession (joke)? there are sensors. I ask this because this most basic error lead me to panic,.."Oh, my roof is broken", several times also, again pls. excuse the simplicity. The description given by Dunasso sounds perfect and well tried, go along with him!

""dunasso, I wrote how to repair red aft reflector for you also!""
Old 11-22-2005, 06:50 AM
Rob McConnell
Racer

Hi

I think you will find that the cables that run down the edges of the roof above both windows may be broken.

I had this recently, they are quite easy to replace, they are attached to the screw that goes through the roof material and a small balck fastner, this will be on the outside of the roof near your rear window, they cable then runs up to the front of the roof where it is held in place by a large spring.

This does two jobs when closing the hood the cable comes under load and pulls on the spring, this stops the hood slapping down on the windscreen, it also helps to keep both sides in line when closing.

Second job when the hood is closed the cables are nice and tight this stops the sides of the hood flapping around when your are doing 100mph and the wind is trying to get in.

You should be able to feel the cable running through the hood. One easy way to check is to remove the screw at the back af the hood you will see the cable, if you can pull the cable out then it is broken.

There are some good threads on this with pictures, maybe someone can point you there.

Thks
Rob
91 964 Cab
Jersey, UK
Old 11-22-2005, 01:28 PM
CincyMike
Intermediate

Hi All--

Thanks for the suggestions- I'll remove the bow covers tonight & have a look. It just seems like a broken bow would have caused other alignment problems, noises, etc. I hadn't thought of the side cables, I'll check those too.

I messed with it some more last night. With the car level in the garage & the top half open (front bow just past vertical) I can move the bow about 6" front-to-back. All the linkages looked to move smoothly & in unison, including the main drive arms. I'm assuming there should be no (or very little) angular play in the drive arm mounted to the gear box?

Thanks all. Back to the garage tonight (gotta get me a heater one of these days).
Old 11-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Never replaced my cables. One of them was broken; I found it while removing the old top. I was going to but just have gotten around to it yet. Still have them in a bag somewhere in the shop, probably with the headliner that never got installed.

I've still got my fingers crossed for you though, Mike.

Duncan

Quick Reply: Another cab top adjusting question